Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which course is shorter - Business or Home Ec?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I understand that they're both long courses, but one has to be shorter than the other. So I did Home Ec for JC and got a B in HL but I never did Business. But I'm thinking of taking it up for LC, because I heard that Home Ec is a complete pain in the hole.
    This will be a subject that's just for points, so it'll get a lot of cramming. So which is the shorter one? And which is more interesting? Which is less awful to cram?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I'm an A student in both (got A's in both in the JC and all through senior cycle) and it's a lot of hard work. I joined both late and the homec projects take up a fair bit of time - researching, planning etc. and require full dedication to get the 20% going for it. You could easily spend a full 3 weeks on each project, so I'd say if you're looking for an easy learn-it-all-off and be done with it subject, business is for you. Business is handy to pick up, but there is a lot of learning, granted a lot of it is common sense. There is an exam technique but once you figure out the key to answering each question it's pretty handy. Homec has a fair bit of coursework too and can be a bit annoying and tedious at times. The exam questions are fairly straightforward and a decent length. Business questions are sometimes phrased in an awkward way and the answers are usually long enough, in order to get full marks.

I don't know what you're like so I can't tell you which one you should pick, but be wise and pick the one you think you'd enjoy more. Remember that if you start to hate a subject there's no way you'll reach your potential in it.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Home Ec is such a pain, not hard at all but just annoying! The project does take up LOADS of time, between researching, writing drafts etc etc, you'd be foolish to think its 20% in the bag anyhu.

As regards the length, we finished our Home Ec course just shortly after Easter so its a good long course. Cant speak for business because I never did it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Even if the project is very time-consuming, I know from doing history that it's extremely reassuring to have 20% under your belt and have gotten some of the stressful time-consuming work done and dusted before 6th year panic starts to set in. You're definitely at more of an advantage doing Home Ec because you're not banking on one exam on the day to count for 100% of your mark, and you know that if you put hard work into your project you'll get the 20%, which is more reassuring than working hard but knowing there's a possibility it might not go well on the day. So I'd go for the Home Ec! A lot of schools do most of the project in 5th year to get it out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

I do business and love it :) But its what ever the person prefers I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dairemcq

I don't do Home Ec., but Business is by far the easiest subject I'm taking.
    Once you structure your answers i.e. State, Explain, Example you'll do fine.
    Something I found to be good was to write out my own notes in the above format.

• Advertisement
Advertisement