Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred from TK Maxx

Options
13»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

It would show up if she was using any loyalty or credit cards.

Loyalty cards I would agree with but storing of credit card data for that purpose would be a big no no compliance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

weren't TK maxx ian trouble a year or 2 ago for storing card info, then they were hacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I've been in TKMAXX on two occasions where I bought some stuff and the assistant neglected to remove a security tag.
    On leaving the store the alarm went off and I returned to the cash desk to get it sorted out. It’s a simple mistake for them to make. They process thousands of transactions every day so this kind of simple oversight is bound to happen.

Equally, it’s an easy mistake to make for someone to walk out of a store without paying for an item. It must happen legitimately now and again and in this case it seems obvious that it was an oversight, not a deliberate theft.

Maybe the next time this happens to me in TKMAXX, I’ll mirror what appears to be their zero tolerance policy and get indignant about their security systems accusing me in public of being a shoplifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Nanoc wrote: »
    weren't TK maxx ian trouble a year or 2 ago for storing card info, then they were hacked?

Yes. It seems TKMaxx take security very seriously when it comes to protecting a 6 euro pair of socks, but are less security conscious when it comes to the credit card details of nearly 46 million customers; a theft that cost TKMaxx $118m

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. If there was any evidence that the two had shoplifted they would have been arrested by the garda that was called and they would have been prosecuted, surely.

There is something else going on here, either all the truth has not been told or there was a racist element to proceedings in the shop.

It seems to me that the security guard and the garda convicted these girls in their minds, but knew that the courts would probably never convict them.

I'm just thinking if this happened to me, I probably wouldn't sue but I would be very, very angry indeed. I think it is unacceptable treatment.

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What? I worked in security for a well known department store and the control room for the security had a board on the wall with photos of well known shoplifters and banned folk. If TKMaxx were that bothered to actually stick to the ban and had decent security it is possible to make sure banned folk dont get in.

To that one store yes, but if they went to the Cork TKMaxx its hard to expect the security to know they're banned. And throwing someone out of a store for "looking" like a shoplifter is dodgy ground for the company.

But we're off topic here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Big_G wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the posts in this thread. If there was any evidence that the two had shoplifted they would have been arrested by the garda that was called and they would have been prosecuted, surely.

There is something else going on here, either all the truth has not been told or there was a racist element to proceedings in the shop.

It seems to me that the security guard and the garda convicted these girls in their minds, but knew that the courts would probably never convict them.

I'm just thinking if this happened to me, I probably wouldn't sue but I would be very, very angry indeed. I think it is unacceptable treatment.

Just my two cents.
    For small things (in value) it's not at all uncommon for no charges to be pressed even if the Garda are called, quite frequently the shoplifters are just barred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

razorblunt wrote: »
    To that one store yes, but if they went to the Cork TKMaxx its hard to expect the security to know they're banned. And throwing someone out of a store for "looking" like a shoplifter is dodgy ground for the company.

But we're off topic here anyway.

You didn't read my full post now did you? The part where I said photos. That was the crucial bit of the post. A lot of chain stores securities the bigger ones anyway pass the photos around of known Shoplifters and Banned folk. As I said the place I worked for had a board up with those known to them. And the other stores had the same.

Advertisement