Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ .270

Options
  • 25-05-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Finally have my .270 up and running and got time to test a few types of ammo today! First I would like to say thank god for Fergal White getting me the custom rail otherwise I wouldn't have been able to scope atal!Top class job he done on it!
    The set up is a CZ 550 in .270 with ASE Northstar mod, 20 Moa picatinny rail,bushnell yardage pro scope and a Harris swivel Bi-pod.

I know lots of ye will say the scope is sitting very high but with the built in rangefinder and BDC Turrets I won't be bothered by it, its comfortable for me to shoot with so thats all that matters!

photo0278t.jpg

photo0276n.jpg

Rail Fitted by Fergal White

photo0277a.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Thats a fine looking set-up you have there patsat

How do you find the scope with built in range finder? I've never had a chance to use one so just curious to get a first hand review of one.

Enjoy the new machine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

All taken at 100 yards in light wind. I reckon much better could be done with a more capable shooter as you can see I pulled one or two shots. Will also retry the hornady ammo as the barrel was getting hot when I was testing them!

photo0280.jpg

photo0279q.jpg

photo0284c.jpg

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Thats a fine looking set-up you have there patsat

How do you find the scope with built in range finder? I've never had a chance to use one so just curious to get a first hand review of one.

Enjoy the new machine!!

I find it the dogs B****x to be honest! It has a wireless switch that can be strapped onto the forearm so its very easy use! Will set up the BDC turrets of the coming weeks and then it will be just a case of ranging a target and turning the elevation to the given distance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

patsat wrote: »
    I find it the dogs B****x to be honest! It has a wireless switch that can be strapped onto the forearm so its very easy use! Will set up the BDC turrets of the coming weeks and then it will be just a case of ranging a target and turning the elevation to the given distance!
    Fine bit of kit long may you enjoy, How do you find the ASE Northstar, Happy hunting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

It looks like 100 grain group best in your twist rate.I'd guess that a recrown might help shrink those groups

If you can get one type round to group stick with them.
    But i reckon the few flyers will be reduced with practice.
    €60 for a recrown and it would halve those groups, IMHO

Then Munster deer beware:D

• Advertisement

Ya the 100 grain did the best but I'm gonna try the Hornadys again as it may have been down to me and the barrel being that little bit warmer as they were the last ammo I fired!

Nah the Deer are very safe yet! All will change in september tho!:D:D:D

Ya the 100 grain did the best but I'm gonna try the Hornadys again as it may have been down to me and the barrel being that little bit warmer as they were the last ammo I fired!

Nah the Deer are very safe yet! All will change in september tho!:D:D:D

Get as low as you can go with the bipod, use a couple of ammo boxes to raise the stock to take pressure off you.

A karsten cheekpiece might help your high mount situation
    either that or a cheek riser made of leather or get a joiner to dowel/glue you on a riser;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

did u shoot each shot from a cold barrel if not your waisting ammo .

the interlock gave a better group ,a 3 shot group is no indication of compatibility ,i would only shoot it to test zero.

the interlock would be a better hunting round than the other two ,try SSTs and federal B tips .

did u shoot the power shocks last

jwshooter wrote: »
    did u shoot each shot from a cold barrel if not your waisting ammo .

the interlock gave a better group ,a 3 shot group is no indication of compatibility ,i would only shoot it to test zero.

the interlock would be a better hunting round than the other two ,try SSTs and federal B tips .

did u shoot the power shocks last

No I shot the power shoks second and the Hornadys last!

Ya I was hoping the Hornadys would be best as they seem best suited for hunting!

All shots were shot using a cold barrel although I reckon by the time I got to shoot the Interlock my concentration may have been low!

Will try them again over the next few days to see can I do better! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Well done pat, nice set up, glad its working out for you:D

• Advertisement

boc121 wrote: »
    Well done pat, nice set up, glad its working out for you:D

Scope is spot on!

Re-tried the hornady 140gr BT tips yesterday evening and got groups as good as the remington ammo posted above!

Then just to make sure it was zeroed I got a grey crow at 92 yards ( not far I know!) To say it is an explosive round is an understatment!!:D:D:D

Scope is spot on!

Re-tried the hornady 140gr BT tips yesterday evening and got groups as good as the remington ammo posted above!

Then just to make sure it was zeroed I got a grey crow at 92 yards ( not far I know!) To say it is an explosive round is an understatment!!:D:D:D

Well Done Pat, long you may wear.
    You will get better with it as you get used to the recoil, and teh scope.

is there parralax adj on the scope? How much did you pay for it again?
    I know of a man who might be interested in one.
    He is an auld lad I know bought a brand new Styer .223 last year but has no idea of range. He got a Burris or bushnell scope that has a little yellow dot in the reticle. Not sure of make.

But the range finder scope might suit him better.

Ah the recoil is nothing with the mod on! Toying with the idea of a Karsten cheekpiece now to help with the height of the scope!

Ah the recoil is nothing with the mod on! Toying with the idea of a Karsten cheekpiece now to help with the height of the scope!

€57 delivered to the door. Your neck will appreciate it if nothing else!

i use a 10mm cheekease on my rifles with a bullet holder over it .

Pat, JW has a good point
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=15486/Product/CHEEKEEZE

These might look/Work better on your rifle.
    Small shillins too.

You can have a look at mine any time you want, to see if it would suit yours.
    The Karsten comes in black but you could spray what ever colour you want before fitting it on the stock.

Does your stock have a cheek piece as standard or is it straight?
    It is really down to what you want your rifle to look like

Had a look at them they look ideal for what I want. The Karsten wouldn't suit my stock as the butt is slanted at one side ( I'll post pics later I don't know the proper name for it!)

Jw where could I get one of those??:confused:

ring around any RFD should get them , try the sportsman gun centure in the uk .

I'll be going to stakelums in the coming weeks for a supply of Hornadys for the .270 so i'll ring ahead and try and get one in! Was looking at the scope eze, I reckon I'll go for that as it is higher.

I finally seen your beloved custom 75! Sweet rig!

better pic hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SD308

better pic hear

Very nice JW.

What's that stock you have it in and where did you source it?
    I have a new .308 coming and it probably won't be long before I dump the factory stock.

Stephen.

SD308 wrote: »
    Very nice JW.

What's that stock you have it in and where did you source it?
    I have a new .308 coming and it probably won't be long before I dumb the factory stock.

Stephen.

I'm nearly sure Jw said before he got that stock off john greene.

its a mcmillan 75 varmint .olive/black .

ordered through john lambert . 6 months from order to getting it .

look at peter jacksons of jacksonrifles inventory list for available stocks .

its a mcmillan 75 varmint .olive/black .

ordered through john lambert . 6 months from order to getting it .

look at peter jacksons of jacksonrifles inventory list for available stocks .

Will do, thanks.

I have the poor cousin of the 75 comin, T3 TAC in 24" .308, I'm sure I'd be able to get the MCM75 Varmint inlet for it.

Stephen.

Will do, thanks.

I have the poor cousin of the 75 comin, T3 TAC in 24" .308, I'm sure I'd be able to get the MCM75 Varmint inlet for it.

Stephen.

that will not work stephen im sure .mcmillan do a stock for tikka

that will not work stephen im sure .mcmillan do a stock for tikka

Ok, I'll check it out.

Ok, I'll check it out.

mcmillian make fine stocks.
    You can't go wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

A fine looking rifle JW.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Will do, thanks.

Stephen.

I wouldn't consider a tactical the poor cousin of a sako 75. It would be more in line to to say its a poor cousin of a TRG 22, but that comment in itself is an insult to T3 Tactical owners!!!:D

• Advertisement

Jonty wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider a tactical the poor cousin of a sako 75. It would be more in line to to say its a poor cousin of a TRG 22, but that comment in itself is an insult to T3 Tactical owners!!!:D

My bad. I was only pandering to JW's Sako fetish.;)

Advertisement