Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT for a car brought over from UK

• 25-05-2010 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Can anyone explain the process to me in laymans rems...?

I moved over to Dublin from Londo at the end of January, although I havent been able to drive the car as I have no MOT at present and I need to sort that so I can apply for road tax. I am worried as the car is just sitting on the road there but now I have another headache as I have no idea about the VRT stuff :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the car is still in London, sitting on the road with no tax or MoT? It's probably a baked bean tin by now....

I think you have to bring the car with you when you move, not 6 months later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

corktina wrote: »
    the car is still in London, sitting on the road with no tax or MoT? It's probably a baked bean tin by now....

I think you have to bring the car with you when you move, not 6 months later....

Not entirely true.. but to avoid VRT to have to prove it has been in use for the last 6 months by.. you need the insurance cert and something to prove you lived at the same place it was insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Prove you have owned and run the car for the 6 months before you moved over here and you'll not have to pay VRT.

You should really start this process now, to keep it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

JHMEG wrote: »
    Prove you have owned and run the car for the 6 months before you moved over here and you'll not have to pay VRT.

You should really start this process now, to keep it simple.

Of course you need to take the car too! They check the engine and chassis number match the V5C too!! they even knwo all about the differnent power ratign for cars of the same engine - you cannot fool them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement