Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DMark 11 Deep Sea Trailer

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Only a tech demo, but shows You whats capable on dx11 (although it'll prob run at 5fps and be 3 yrs before its playable without stutter), tesselisation, depth of field etc. I was impressed anyway.
    Watch in HD on Youtube

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Gaming graphics is definitely catching up on movie CGI... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Solitaire wrote: »
    Gaming graphics is definitely catching up on movie CGI... :cool:

They're the same thing, lots of the cgi in the first Transformers film was rendered on a 4870. This was released around then also,
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,655742/Ruby-20-Screenshots-and-video-of-the-new-Radeon-tech-demo/News/
    You'd never know it was cgi until You see the character at the end

Its also getting scarily real, this is also rendered with a 4870

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I love how depth of field is used in that video and how it has been showcased previously when discussing the benefits of DirectX 11, e.g. the ATI Ladybg demo below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

3dMark11! Wow, I've gotten so out of the loop. It's been so long since I've kept on top of hardware and general tech news, that for me, 3DMark06 is still the 'proper' one in my mind, as illogical as that sounds! I remember seeing the invasion opening in that though and being completely blown away, utterly incredulous at the thought of that one day, in the future, being the standard for real time games. And that one day....um, was already several years ago actually. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They're the same thing, lots of the cgi in the first Transformers film was rendered on a 4870. This was released around then also,
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,655742/Ruby-20-Screenshots-and-video-of-the-new-Radeon-tech-demo/News/
    You'd never know it was cgi until You see the character at the end

Well not really the same thing, one is using shaders and rasterisers in real time, while the other uses stream processing in banks of machines to render each frame via ray tracing.

Same card is used, but very different usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

3dMark11! Wow, I've gotten so out of the loop. It's been so long since I've kept on top of hardware and general tech news, that for me, 3DMark06 is still the 'proper' one in my mind, as illogical as that sounds! I remember seeing the invasion opening in that though and being completely blown away, utterly incredulous at the thought of that one day, in the future, being the standard for real time games. And that one day....um, was already several years ago actually. :o

Same as! But when I heard you had to pay for 3DMark vantage I decided to stick with 3DMark06. It looks real purty, but I'm not paying for a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Rather than create a new thread I just thought I'd update this one. Futuremark have released another teaser for 3DMark 11.

Pretty damn impressive as per usual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That was pretty impressive actually.

Then I got distracted by a video for EVGA's PhysX, and realised how much crap they were lying about. "Oh without PhysX you can't get these flappy cloth effects in your game". Yes. Yes I can. Should I go load up Splinter Cell from 5 years ago and show you those effects? Developers are sadly paid to ransom these kind of features by the chipset companies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Pfft. That cover was blown all the way back when Ageia was trying to flog hardware themselves :rolleyes: You could take the tech demo, remove the PhysX hardware and 90% of the features would still run... then change a couple of .cfg entries and 99% of the effects were present, albeit at the cost of more CPU overhead. That was before nVidia started intentionally crippling PhysX with dodgy x87 code... :rolleyes::mad:

only 2-3 things looked interesting in there: one was the bullet through the flags, which dx11 is already capable of, but the fog and the papers on the ground, the liquid effects, what about them? Those actually looked credible.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The chinese version is out in the wild, for fear of it not being the free version( i dunno its all in chinese and i havnt tried it, but just in case ), google 3dmark11v100.rar

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The chinese version is out in the wild, for fear of it not being the free version( i dunno its all in chinese and i havnt tried it, but just in case ), google 3dmark11v100.rar

No need, there's a free edition:
    http://www.ngohq.com/news/18939-3dmark-11-basic-edition.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+NGOHQ+(NGOHQ.com)

true, but i posted because it was leaked the day before :)

Incidentally it looks fantastic, my scores a measly P4714 bah

I've not got a directX11 gpu :o

I've not got a directX11 gpu :o
    ahh sure no better time to pick up a 6970 but right before crimbo :)

A cheaper 5 series would be fine. Im hoping for another vaporX 5770 to dip below a hundred bucks.

I'm holding out, there's no game I cannot max

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

What's your setup as mine only scores a measly P3178 :p

jak/mar wrote: »
    What's your setup as mine only scores a measly P3178 :p
    ahh 5850 OC'd and i7 920@3.8Ghz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

ahh 5850 OC'd and i7 920@3.8Ghz

That explains the massive difference in the scores as I have a Phenom II x3 720 @3.2ghz and a 6850 @stock :p

jak/mar wrote: »
    That explains the massive difference in the scores as I have a Phenom II x3 720 @3.2ghz and a 6850 @stock :p
    OC OC OC :P
    I dont think its very cpu dependent so your 6850 oc'd should come close to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

OC OC OC :P
    I dont think its very cpu dependent so your 6850 oc'd should come close to mine

I was able to get 4030 out of my 6870 I5 760(default gpu speed 900/1050) then I got 4382 @ 990/1180 .
    Does that sound about right?

dwighet wrote: »
    I was able to get 4030 out of my 6870 I5 760(default gpu speed 900/1050) then I got 4382 @ 990/1180 .
    Does that sound about right?
    yeah thats pretty good, the cpu shouldnt matter as 3dmark11 is more gpu bound and the 6850 performs slightly slower than the 5850, you might eek a tiny bit more out of it but probably not worth the hassle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

yeah thats pretty good, the cpu shouldnt matter as 3dmark11 is more gpu bound and the 6850 performs slightly slower than the 5850, you might eek a tiny bit more out of it but probably not worth the hassle :)

I just ran two tests to actually see how much the difference would be.

i7 930 @ 4.32ghz / Ati 5850 @ 1080/1267 = P5224

and

i7 930 @ 2.66ghz / Ati 5850 @ 1080/1267 = P5038

So very little to be gained by clocking the bejebus outta the cpu :(

game4it70 wrote: »

and

those are really great 5850 OC's on core and mem, youre lucky, but yeah its way more gpu dependent than cpu dependent, tbh thats the way it should be nowadays to determine game performance as with console ports if you have a quad core no matter what speed it doesnt affect performance much.

Im stuck at a 3.8Ghz max on the cpu for the time being as we have a newborn and the heating is on full blast and going around in tshirts so ambient temps are nuts to go back to my 4+Ghz OC on the cpu

game4it70 wrote: »

and

Remember that 3dmark11 tests DirectX11 and isn't really a measure of the CPU's raw performance. You'd want to run more thorough benchmarks, like video encoding. file compression/extraction, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

4204 with noting over clocked.

Might update drivers + put my clocks back on and run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Overclocked the CPU to 4ghz and updated drivers on video card and ran test again.

4360 points.

When i overclock the video card i get this flicker on screen which drives me nuts so wont be trying any faster overclock then default on video card.

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Overclocked the CPU to 4ghz and updated drivers on video card and ran test again.

4360 points.

When i overclock the video card i get this flicker on screen which drives me nuts so wont be trying any faster overclock then default on video card.
    if you have a reference card increase the voltage to get higher overclocks.

Ive a 6970 now and the stupid 3dmark11 wont run lol

Advertisement