Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Purchase about to fall through.

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi folks just wanted to ask here if anybody has been in a similar situation to me. I agreed to buy a house a couple months back, paid deposit to EA and to vendors solicitor. The purchase has become very messy due to legal issues with the roads and the fact that they havent found any where to live. My solicitor has said it should be ok in the end but it could take another couple of months, or more. He has advised if we want the house to sit tight or maybe to pull out and buy somewhere that is vacant. A question that I want to know is if I pulled out and looked to purchase somewhere else would the solicitor charge me for the work he has already done on this current house purchase, as I couldnt afford to pay a solicitor twice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

If you really want the house wait 4 two months,ask is the seller trying to find a new home,is the seller in the middle of buying a home and being delayed by technicalitys.Just ask if i stop the deal, do i still have to pay the full legal fees, say 1st i,ll use you to do legal work on the next home i buy ,if i cancel this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

yes you would have to pay yoir solicitor for the work he has already done.

My advise pull out of the purchase and rent. Forget thae fact house prices are falling if you cant afford to pay twice for solicitors fees your going to end up defaulting on your mortgage FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ricman wrote: »
    Just ask if i stop the deal, do i still have to pay the full legal fees, say 1st i,ll use you to do legal work on the next home i buy ,if i cancel this one.

What planet are you on ? Firstly why would a solicitor care if you were to retain him for the next purchase or not if he wasnt going to earn anything extra ?

If you owed a grand for conveyancing why would he say ok dont pay me that grand for the work Ive done but pay me a grand for the work on the new property.

Think about it. its the most ludacris statement you could possible come out with. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, you are about to buy a house and yet you are worried about a potential couple of extra grand (max) in solicitor's fees? Are you sure you can afford the house?

Seems to me with an investment this large you should not be worried about minor fees and should either have residual money on hand to pay for fees and/or not be concerned with having extra outlay to make in order to get the deal done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

You could have had a lucky escape.
    Don't like the sound of legal issues with road.
    I also think if you can not afford to pay legal fees, you really should not be buyingc house because with house purchase there is always money needed for some emergency or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Hi op,
    Sorry to hear about the problems about your purchase. I understand that you would hate to spend good money on a solicitor and have literally nothing to show for it.

Now solicitors are a queer breed of people. They will not, EVER let a sale go through without some sort of drama. They also like to take their own sweet time on sorting out the problems out.

If you want the house, hold tight and try and remember that 8 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Put pressure on your solicitor, offer to rent this house if you need to move.

Buying your home is regarded as one of the most stressful experiences for this very reason.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Hi folks, thanks for the advice. Apologies but I did pharse my query wrong, of course I except solicitor to charge me for work done, but I should have been asking how much he would charge. Anyway I spoke to solicitor about an hour ago, and he has said he will charge me the full amount, as its not his fault with what happened. I also asked about going for another house that was vacant, and he said it would be an extra 2k. So full 4k. Regarding not been able to pay a morgage, I can afford, as I have assets, but i dont want to sell them as it has been in my family for nearly a hundred years, and would only sell if I really had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

hi, i am in the same boat as yourself, bought a house paid the deposits got a solicitor, in fairness she sent me a full quotation before she started, we then began the stressful road as described before about getting the legals sorted out, i was pushing hard to get the sale through and then we hit a similar issue to what you have experienced with the sellers, they were delaying, was also told by solicitor to walk away by the solicitor, told her i was not looking for anywhere else, rang the es to ask what the hell is going on with the sale, i threatened to pull out, things moved very quickly hopeing to sign next week

My advise to you would be,
    Dont be bullied by the es, the sellers or the solicitors, your the buyer
    Stick with it, if you are happy with the house
    Fully investigate the problem with the road, establish how this could be remedied with the help of your solicitor, dont take any bs from them on the matter
    Best of luck.to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why not keep looking and if you find something better and cheaper, go with that, or use it as leverage against the first guy. You might feel you are in a losing situation, but in a falling market, you are actually in a winning situation.

Advertisement