Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So O2 announces it great payg data plan

Options
  • 25-05-2010 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

What a con! Some stupid social networking apps for free until the end of August. What a gimmick.:eek:

So now I looking at the alternatives.

Does anyone know are vodafone, Meteor and 3 all 3g compatible and do they support HSDPA/HSUPA? What is there data network like?

I don't make much calls and only send the odd text but what I want to do is turn on my smart phones data abilities. Download my email. browse the next etc.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

macronot wrote: »
    What a con! Some stupid social networking apps for free until the end of August. What a gimmick.:eek:

Does anyone know are vodafone, Meteor and 3 all 3g compatible and do they support HSDPA/HSUPA? What is there data network like?

I don't make much calls and only send the odd text but what I want to do is turn on my smart phones data abilities. Download my email. browse the next etc.:D

And by the looks of things on their website, you only get free social networking through their provided application. Which of course is not available for any of the current generation of smart phones (IE, you can not use this offer if your device is let's say, an iphone or a HTC desire).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

oeb wrote: »
    And by the looks of things on their website, you only get free social networking through their provided application. Which of course is not available for any of the current generation of smart phones (IE, you can not use this offer if your device is let's say, an iphone or a HTC desire).

No wonder they're loosing pre-pay customers in there droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

macronot wrote: »

get a billpay phone then.

krudler wrote: »
    get a billpay phone then.

With such brilliant and creative insight you too could be 02's strategic director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

O2 Social Link is as an enhancement to the current O2 Experience offer, and not a data plan. Having free social network access and rss feeds through this app is great for those that use these sites and there is nothing extra to pay as it all fits in with your current Experience plan. Although, I know that this doesn’t suit some of your needs and we have forwarded these posts to the relevant departments for review.

• Advertisement

O2 Social Link is as an enhancement to the current O2 Experience offer, and not a data plan. Having free social network access and rss feeds through this app is great for those that use these sites and there is nothing extra to pay as it all fits in with your current Experience plan. Although, I know that this doesn’t suit some of your needs and we have forwarded these posts to the relevant departments for review.

O2 is seriously lagging behind the competition Daryll. I don't know how anyone could even consider getting a smartphone on O2 prepay given that you don't have any data bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I left O2 a few weeks back for this very reason. I didnt want to leave but I was sick of paying so much for data on my iPhone. So I rang vodafone to see did they do data plans and they offered me 200 min, 200 text, free vf to vf calls and texts and 1gb of data for €25 and data roaming comes out of my 1gb bundle.

Best thing to do is shop around. O2 promised a data plan and this new offer is a let down. The only way they will come up with a new plan is to walk. However I wont be going back if they do. The guys on O2's forum are great, the best of any of the networks forums but the last year or so O2 have shown that they don't care about their customers. Examples:
    The advance plan fiasco about not been allowed to change plans
    The end of UK roaming
    No prepay data plan when nearly everyone on their forum was crying out for one
    Data roaming charges
    Even their new travel plan is dearer than vodafones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

i was conned into a new 12 month contract when upgrading to the N900, can't wait for it to expire so I can dump O2.

I think you would be right to dump them podge018. I'm really glad I didnt hold out any longer than I did because I would of been furious if I had seen that offer yesterday after being told there was something good on the way. They are just treating customers with contempt at this stage when you see the offers other networks now have. They are the only network that doesnt have decent data prepay plans.

O2 have really shot themselves in the foot with this one, something they seem to be making a habit of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why would anyone that is serious about data stick with O2?

What a joke of an offer when you consider what Meteor and 3 are offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I'm getting 1gig of data on three pay now for a fiver. Sound. In total I spend around 20 euro a month on the phone. With that I get 3000 texts and 300 mins weekend calls. It's actually brilliant and there reception is improving aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

OI wrote: »
    I'm getting 1gig of data on three pay now for a fiver. Sound. In total I spend around 20 euro a month on the phone. With that I get 3000 texts and 300 mins weekend calls. It's actually brilliant and there reception is improving aswell.

Are you sure? They decreased the price from €10 to €5, but also decreased the data volume from 1GB to 250MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 singo

i left them aswell a couple of weeks ago went with vf, glad i did now

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

woodzie wrote: »
    I left O2 a few weeks back for this very reason. I didnt want to leave but I was sick of paying so much for data on my iPhone. So I rang vodafone to see did they do data plans and they offered me 200 min, 200 text, free vf to vf calls and texts and 1gb of data for €25 and data roaming comes out of my 1gb bundle.

There is no Vodafone plan that would offer that. The cheapest you can get is 100 min, 100 text, free vf to vf and 1GB of data for €30, which would be the Vodafone Simply plan for €20 + 1GB data add on for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

blaz wrote: »
    Are you sure? They decreased the price from €10 to €5, but also decreased the data volume from 1GB to 250MB.

Yeah, what the hell? Last week honestly I bought 1 gig for a fiver but I see that now yes! Bloody hell. And it's 3000 texts and 3000 weekend minutes.

Yea I did get that plan, I rang them up and they gave me double min and texts and 50% of the data for 6 months. So ring them up and see do you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I'm leaving o2 after the 6th of June to get a decent PAYG data plan elsewhere.

I waited a while for them to catch up with the competition but now I'm gone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

they've not announced any "great payg data plan" - they've announced what appears to be some free social networking apps. i can't see it marketed as a prepay data plan anywhere. please feel free to talk about this new option they have but please stop the hate wars back and forth.

please pm me and correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

someone dropped me a pm to explain this further so i've changed the title back. it would appear this is what o2 have been promising on their forums for some time as their upcoming prepay data plan.

O2 have been promising - on their own forum - that they were announcing a competitive PAYG data deal/bundle for the last few months. The date was set as the 24th for the reveal, which subsequently turned out to be the Facebook/twitter promotion. Members of the o2 forum, still in disbelief that this was what was promised, emailed O2 Ireland's CEO and got confirmation that this is indeed their prepay data deal. Naturally, this lead to a lot of extremely dissatisfied people who basically felt that O2 lead them down the garden path.

The relative o2 threads are ....

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?6443-Prepay-data-plans/page9

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?11042-New-Pre-Pay-data-plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

O2 lead them down the garden path.

Well did they did join an "Experience" price plan, let's hope they learned something.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nialloo24

Some joke alright. The 3 offer is tempting but is that only for a limited time to??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I think I will be leaving 02 very soon... After nearly 13 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I left O2 Experience a couple of days ago for meteor smart 30(bill pay). So far its great, I got a HTC desire,I've had no problems, no difference in service(I visited the O2 store, to see what they could offer first and all the sales guy could do is say meteor aren't as good).

My 3g speeds are faster on meteor then they ever were on O2 and my coverage is great.

Unless O2 bring a decent(not laughable) plan to the table soon, more people will voice there opinions with their feet and jump network, as I did.

Its funny the day I left I got a thanks you for being a loyal customer test from O2, shame for them they couldn't compete with rival networks on this occasion, I was with them for 11 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 paulrosswhelan

ok. So i've an iPhone 3g And i use the Facebook App and variousTwitter Apps So Would this be covered in the free Facebook and Twitter PAYG Plan? If Not Im Changing To Meteor!!!:mad::cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

ok. So i've an iPhone 3g And i use the Facebook App and variousTwitter Apps So Would this be covered in the free Facebook and Twitter PAYG Plan? If Not Im Changing To Meteor!!!:mad::cool::D

No, you have to use the app that they are offering. People with smartphones can't download it.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

This O2 "offer" reminds me of the bad old walled garden mobile internet days.

Don't O2 realise that FaceBook and Twitter are only a small portion of what most people use the internet for? Don't they realise that their misleading "surf" advertisements will only drive people elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 davidoc

Why not make all connections to facebook.com & twitter.com (from browser or any app) free of charge for anyone who meets the requirements of the O2 Experience offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I think I will be leaving 02 very soon... After nearly 13 years :(

After 11 years, I plan to leave O2 soon as well.

I feel they started going downhill soon after they were bought by Telefonica. Their new motto appears to be: charge more for inferior service. They seem to be spending their money on advertising (TV, radio, newspaper, billboard, even cinema!) and have lost the ball when it comes to providing a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    After 11 years, I plan to leave O2 soon as well.

I feel they started going downhill soon after they were bought by Telefonica. Their new motto appears to be: charge more for inferior service. They seem to be spending their money on advertising (TV, radio, newspaper, billboard, even cinema!) and have lost the ball when it comes to providing a good service.

+1. they could sort a data plan out in the morning if they wanted to. just don't understand it. instead I have to see facebook offers everywhere..

Advertisement