Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Procedure when done for speeding?

• 25-05-2010 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Got stopped for speeding yesterday morning. No complaints from me, hands up and all that.

The Garda was grand, he was courteous to me and I was courteous back.

Now he never mentioned that I'd be fined/receive penalty points or anything. He took my licence, went back to his car for about 30sec./1 min - came back and handed me my licence and said, "Be more careful in future".

I thanked him and continued on my journey.

My question is: Does this mean I got off with a warning, or should I expect a fine in the post? - Also should I expect whatever amount of penalty points go with speeding?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

expect a fine and penalty points. same thing happened to the ol' man while I was with him, although he didn't want his license as it was in the boot, just took the reg details

edit: twill be 2 for speeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

That's mad. I'd have thought they should at least have to tell you out straight what will happen next instead of leaving you wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How much over the limit were you going?

By the sounds of it he was just checking you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That's mad. I'd have thought they should at least have to tell you out straight what will happen next instead of leaving you wondering!

Discussed here before with AGS members where some dont tell you for that exact reason.

You think you got off and you go away only to get a ticket later. Its the Gardai avoiding confrontation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

How much over the limit were you going?

By the sounds of it he was just checking you out.

About 40km/ph - In fairness, it was on a bypass which is a big open stretch of new road. I think mine was the only car around for miles. Anyway - that's just me making excuses.
    Berty wrote: »
    Discussed here before with AGS members where some dont tell you for that exact reason.

You think you got off and you go away only to get a ticket later. Its the Gardai avoiding confrontation.

I can see what you mean, to an extent. There are a couple of points though.

1. The Garda should be able to judge a person's possible reaction during the exchange between them. It was obvious that there would be no confrontation. (I pulled in as soon as I saw them behind me, was very mannerly & courteous, handed over my licence as soon as he asked for it, was dressed respectably in a suit etc.)

2. If they want to avoid confrontation - surely they're in the wrong job, as that's part & parcel with being a Guard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I past a Garda speed trap the other day and I doing 120km in a 100km zone but I wasn't stopped, will I get a letter in the post about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

This post has been deleted.

I'm nearly sure it was on a tripod, so I'll get a fine and 2 points, how long does it take to get the letter in post?

Advertisement