Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Parties

Options
  • 25-05-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

After another tortuous night of having to put up with the anti-social behaviour of students I was wondering if there are other members here from estates that have their lives made unbearable during the "academic" year.

I live in Southern Gardens and I know that last night every estate in the vicinity of IT had to endure the same suffering as we did. I am anxious to get representatives of all the so-called student estates together so that we can devise a collaborative strategy to deal with the various issues that occur when the students are in town.

I have some ideas about how to tackle the various problems but I feel that if all the estates were adopting the same strategies then we could finally come to some sort of resolution as opposed to fragmented piecemeal actions that are currently employed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

After another tortuous night of having to put up with the anti-social behaviour of students I was wondering if there are other members here from estates that have their lives made unbearable during the "academic" year.

I live in Southern Gardens and I know that last night every estate in the vicinity of IT had to endure the same suffering as we did. I am anxious to get representatives of all the so-called student estates together so that we can devise a collaborative strategy to deal with the various issues that occur when the students are in town.

I have some ideas about how to tackle the various problems but I feel that if all the estates were adopting the same strategies then we could finally come to some sort of resolution as opposed to fragmented piecemeal actions that are currently employed.

Thanks.

Call around to them and ask them nicely to keep it down or you will contact there landlord, if that don't work contact the garda/landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Call around to them and ask them nicely to keep it down or you will contact there landlord, if that don't work contact the garda/landlord.

This has been done on various occassions and it what I mean by piece-meal action. Landlords don't have any interest in the rights of the private residents they are solely concerned with maintaining a steady cashflow from their houses and only get concerned when it involves actual damage being caused to their property.

The gardai were over-run last night with calls from the various estates. The attitude to the gardai was excemplified by one person who was arrested on our estate last night for foul and abusive language being directed to one particular garda - he was warned twice about his conduct by this garda before he arrested him.

You also have to appreciate that it is not always feasible to approach these people, would you go into the middle of a gathering that is possibly a hundred strong and ask them to keep it down when they are already off their face with alcohol and possibly other substances?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭torrestorres

i feel for you i really do, lucky for me i don't live there, but they are lovely houses and is a nice areas just a pitty the students have devalued the house/estate to such a degree that it would even be hard to sell a house in there now as everyone local knows its full of students, i know people who live in there and they are also sick of it.

Well if you asked any resident there I'm sure the vast majority would just love to be rid of their house at this stage but as you rightly point out they are impossible to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Talk to the college directly. If you get some sort of group from your estate to sign a petition, and talk to the college directly, they may be able to threaten the students to cop on.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Talk to the college directly. If you get some sort of group from your estate to sign a petition, and talk to the college directly, they may be able to threaten the students to cop on.

I would agree with this, I think every college has an Accommodation officer / administrator.

Contact them and be armed with as much info as possible.

Wish you the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

You could go to the council if it was a council house & get them to do a Noise Pollution check when a party is going on. If Noise is over 90 Decibels for more than 5 Consective minutes you could have them evicted.
    But their is hardly any point in that now coz most 3rd Level College students finish up end of Next week... I used to live in Carraig Aibhainn so i know how you feel...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Whats the percentage of students / actual residents in Southern Gardens? I would have expected actual residents to be in the minority which would make a resolution even more difficult. Is there a residence association in the estate? If there was, and all landlords were contactable through it, then it at least gives you access to someone who may care. And power in numbers malarky also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

go to the council and make a complaint about the behaviour and back this up by making a statement to the guards about it and do this every time things get out of hand and something will be done about it!

Whats the percentage of students / actual residents in Southern Gardens? I would have expected actual residents to be in the minority which would make a resolution even more difficult. Is there a residence association in the estate? If there was, and all landlords were contactable through it, then it at least gives you access to someone who may care. And power in numbers malarky also.
    yeah you're correct the private residents are in a minority. There is a residence association and we are trying to amalgamate with other resident associations to determine a co-ordinated plan of action to tackle the issues that result from anti-social behaviour. Unfortunately the number of responsible landlords are in the minority and we are trying to engage them as surely they should want to achieve the same objectives as this would maximise their potential rent income.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    go to the council and make a complaint about the behaviour and back this up by making a statement to the guards about it and do this every time things get out of hand and something will be done about it!
    We have just started to initiate this process as in previous years it was done in a piecemeal fragmented way and targeted the students as opposed to the landlords. The hope is that if landlords are targeted directly they will be forced to behave in a responsible manner as opposed to being "absentee landlords".

Thanks for your input.

Advertisement