Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Failed - Repair Costs - Help

• 25-05-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I had my NCT this morning and it failed.

I was hoping people could give me prices on the fails the car has, so as to no get overcharged when getting the car fixed in the local garage.

Car is a 2001 Passat , 1.9 diesel.

Fails that I'm trying to figure the repair cost :

Front Suspension: Track Control arm & bushes - WORN
    Steering Linkage: Track Rod ends - WORN

Reason for fail on both items is WORN.

Any price suggestions would be great - Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Track control arms are about 65euro a piece from Otto car parts. Each Side has 4, 2 top and 2 bottom. If if its badly worn you looking at 260 + labour (recon about 120euro). regards track rod ends you will have to check with a parts supplier im afraid I dont know off hand.

The car must have been wandering a fair bit it they are worn. Did the NCT center say which side? Passenger I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Thanks a mill for your reply

Yes - it is on the passenger side...

Funny thing is the car was not wandering at all....you would not have guessed this from driving it....just wondering how worn they really are then....

This is a visual fail i think......

Is this normal wear and tear (110k on the clock)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks a mill for your reply

Yes - it is on the passenger side...

Funny thing is the car was not wandering at all....you would not have guessed this from driving it....just wondering how worn they really are then....

This is a visual fail i think......

Is this normal wear and tear (110k on the clock)?

You'll have to pay for a retest, they need to check the tracking (slide slip) as the first check was invalid due to the worn suspension.

It seems normal enough wear for most cars with 110k miles done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Yeah the Passat is prone to suspension wear over 100k

I have sourced suspension parts from this crowd - bit cheaper than OTTO but great to deal with..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Volvic man

trackrod ends arent to dear to buy about 18-30 quid a peace altoh they arent to hard to replace you car will need to be tracked ...witch is a standerd rate of 50-55 quid for that plus labour on the trackrod ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

excellent stuff everyone.....

so.....

Track control arms are about 65euro a piece

Trackrod ends about 30 quid a piece

Tracking 50 quid

here comes the numpty question - just know nowt about cars....

if it is the offside that failed.....

how many of each of the track control arms and trackrod ends are needed

i.e. what is the total bill likely to be.....?

many thanks....:)

Advertisement