Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crashed car, need to buy new car. can i sell current one?

• 25-05-2010 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Ok, i need some genuine good advice, as im in a right pickle.

I crashed my car 2 days ago, and i hit a curb. I brought my car to a garage, and they checked it out.
    The mechanic came back and told me there's extensive damage to the driver side front wheel, and he cant see the car being repairable.
    There is a small amount of body damage, but nothing un-repairable. The wheel also took a decent whack, and both the driver and passenger airbags came out.

Its going to cost a lot to repair, and its probably over the value of the car.
    I decided, not go to through the insurance, as i had an accident 2 years ago, and dont want to increase my premium. I would rather get rid of my car, and find something else to buy.

Its a chevrolet lacetti, 2005, 1.4 petrol with 45k on the clock.

It cost me 11,500 2 years ago.

so, my 2 options are...

find a garage that might take it as part exchange, as most of the car is salvagable, and in great condition,

or

sell the car to someone, and buy private sale car.

I know i would get a better deal going private, but is it even possible to find someone to buy a car that has been crashed?

whats my best option to concider? I do need to sort this as quick as possible.

I have about €4000 plus what ever i can get for my car.

I dont think i would get anything decent going to a garage with €4000 and buying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Its going to cost a lot to repair, and its probably over the value of the car.
    I decided, not go to through the insurance, as i had an accident 2 years ago, and dont want to increase my premium.

When you have your no claims discount built up again make sure and insure it, it'll prevent your insurance going up again if you need to claim, it only adds an extra few euro to your policy but could be worth it.

The Chevy might not be worth a lot, 500 euro? What's it worth on insurance 5000? Might it be worth claiming depending on how it'll effect your premium next year.

I'd also get a second opinion of fixing it, it does not sound like a write off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

When you have your no claims discount built up again make sure and insure it, it'll prevent your insurance going up again if you need to claim, it only adds an extra few euro to your policy but could be worth it.
    I nearly had 4 years the last time, and was about to change to protected no claims, but then i had the accident. I was truly gutted about it. But live and learn i guess.
    The Chevy might not be worth a lot, 500 euro? What's it worth on insurance 5000? Might it be worth claiming depending on how it'll effect your premium next year.
    Its insured for €5,000, and if i were offered €500 i would probably take it.
    I'd also get a second opinion of fixing it, it does not sound like a write off
    Im bringing it to another garage now to get it checked out, as if i do go to the insurance company, i want to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Which air bags are gone, is it possible to pick them up second hand if it's only maybe a seat and a steering wheel they mighten cost a whole lot.

Might be worth going to a panel beater they'd be used to repairing crashed cars and might have a better idea of how much they could fix it for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It sort of sounds like you're giving up 4.5K or so just to protect your insurance premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Which air bags are gone, is it possible to pick them up second hand if it's only maybe a seat and a steering wheel they mighten cost a whole lot.

Might be worth going to a panel beater they'd be used to repairing crashed cars and might have a better idea of how much they could fix it for!

He said both driver and passenger airbags were activated so he'd be looking for a new dash, both airbags, seltbelt tensionsers and possibly seats, plus whatever is needed to fix the suspension damage. Sounds expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Maybe try this place in Celbridge. Phone them first probably rather than driving I'd guess.

http://www.damagedcarsales.com/

Advertisement