Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to Digiweb??

• 25-05-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted, searched but couldn't find anything relevant.
    I currently have Eircom 1Mb Broadband and Phone, paying around 55 euro a month.
    Digiweb have an offer at the moment for 5Mb Broadband and Phone for 40 euro, looks good.
    Problem is I don't know anyone with Digiweb and was wondering if anyone here has experience good or bad with them??
    Any info would be great, in Cork by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are about 7 different Digiweb systems.

They have the largest national internal network apart from eircom.

Is it Digiweb via phone line (LLU or Bitstream), Metro Wireless, other Wireless, Satellite or Fibre (they also have a Mobile system in part of Dublin)?

Like UPC and Magnet, they can also provide a phone service as well as Broadband to some areas without you having a phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

The Digiweb system is 4Mb Wireless Metro Broadband. Bundle is called Chatterbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you save eircom line rental. I got Metro over 5 years ago I think..
    I've saved about €1,700 or more, compared to dialup (phone charges and Line rental). I never had DSL.

8Mbps down, 1Mbps up package at reasonably busy time.
    825962856.png17593609.png17593659.png

I have a 2nd number and ported my first number from eircom (That cost €50 at the time). I got the 2nd number for Fax. Though it's one Metro link, BB, and both phones work at same time. I don't know how much a 2nd number costs.

There were some teething problems at a few sites a couple of years ago. I have not heard of any issues for some while.

You need "line of site" to Digiweb's mast and they install a small outdoor box connected to indoor modem via coax cable. The indoor modems I have seen have an ethernet port and two phone ports (I use DECT cordless handset). If Digiweb don't supply a WiFi/Router, then buy one in Maplin or Argos or Dabs. It must NOT have a DSL modem or RJ11 phone socket. It should instead have a 5th ethernet port dedicated to go to the Digiweb Modem. Some shops call these Cable Routers. They are technically ethernet WAN routers.

Advertisement