If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good 2.1 system

Options
  • 25-05-2010 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi
    Trying to help out the father in-law with a new system. He got himself a Western Digital media player to lots of hd movies, some with DTS soundtracks.

He doesn't want to start running wires for a 5.1 setup.

What have you got in a 2.1 system (amp & speakers & maybe a bluray player) that will allow him get the full effect of the movie soundtracks.

Thanks in advance
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Davesull

Have a look at this - It's the Philips HTS7200 Blu-Ray 2.1 Cinema system.
    The main unit is pretty compact (and good looking) and has 2 very nice satellite speakers and a meaty subwoofer.
    It sounds great when playing CD's and BR discs

It's spec can be found here -
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts7200_12/hts7200_12_pss_eng.pdf

This will play your BR, DVD & CD's and has a built in FM radio.
    On the back it has HDMI and Component video outputs (no SCART)
    There's a pair of Analogue Audio inputs and both Coaxial and Optical Inputs.

It will handle most file formats - as you'll see from the spec sheet above.

How does the WD Media player plug into the TV and what type of Audio output does it have? I've seen a few that have HDMI out to go straight to a TV and one form or other of Digital Output to go into amps etc.

This unit is on sale in store for €499.99 but after your 10% Philips Shop Boardies Discount its yours for only €449.99.

I have them in stock and on display if you'd like to get a hands on demo just call on down.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 10 davesull

Hi Ash

Thanks for the reply. After a bit talking, we have talked him around to a 5.1 system. The Western Digital has hdmi & digital optical outs.
    What do you have with a neat speaker setup, either a bundled system or a seperate amp/speaker system. Bluray is not a deciding factor.

Many Thanks
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi David. Apologies for the delay in replying.

As always, it depends on his budget, but if I throw a few systems at you, you can let me know what you think.

The best system that we have as a bundled system is the Onkyo HTS5305 package. This is a system that Onkyo have put together which is made up of a receiver and 5.1 speaker package that comes in at £399.95. This has the necessary inputs for the WD box and enough for loads of other gadgets.

Alternatively, the other way to do it, is to buy an A/V receiver and a 5.1 speaker pack separately.

Take a look at the Pioneer VSX819, Onkyo 308 or the Marantz NR1501. The Marantz is the most expensive out of these, but it's an excellent music amp as well as being the slimmest a/v receiver we have.

Combined with this, the Tannoy SFX 5.1 or Boston XS packs are all worth a look.

I personally think the Marantz with the Boston XS is extremely hard to beat, especially now that the Marantz has £100 off it !

Alternatively, the Onkyo 308 and the Tannoy is also a very popular system. It just depends on how far he wants to take it. Check out the reviews on the Marantz and Boston and you'll see what I mean.

The last option is to go for a 5.1 package including a DVD player. The Draw-back is that most of these systems don't produce surround sound from the inputs on the back....but if he's on a budget, the Pioneer DCS585 is worth a look.

If you need anything else, please drop us a line.

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.