Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avalon as a Wedding Band

• 25-05-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey,
    I was just wondering if anybody has been to a wedding lately where Avalon played.
    IF so, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

they are a good wedding band...pardon my brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

excellent imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Fantastic - dancefloor was full all night. Good mix of current chart stuff and the golden oldies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Overated,overpriced and undertalented.IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Overated,overpriced and undertalented.IMHO

Absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

They will let you down at a moments notice - from experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes Boss wrote: »
    They will let you down at a moments notice - from experience!
    An exception to the rule I think you'll find.

I've always found them to be easy to get along with and great professionals as a whole. They're constantly introducing new songs into their set lists and I haven't seen one wedding where they haven't got the entire dancefloor full within a few songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

avalon used fill o shea,s in tramore when they used play there years ago so much so that the front doors were shut it was so full! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I've been at a few weddings where Avalon played and on each occasion, I remember nothing about them the day after (nothing to do with the drink either). Sure, they're an adequate band who do justice to the songs they play, so you won't have an empty dancefloor, but they don't seem to contribute greatly to the atmosphere. Same with Magnum.

Compare that to the Bottle Brothers who play just as well, but also add in some comedy and banter. You'll always remember them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You can't beat a full band though, that's why we didn't go with the bottle brothers.

OP, I haven't seen them at a wedding but have been to a few other do's with them playing and I thought they were very good TBH.

I have been to a good few weddings and the most important part for your guests IMHO is the band, get a good one and people are happy but get a poor one and it's a disaster.

I tried Avalon after my first choice wasn't available but they were booked also. So book early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

WIth Avalon I think you know what you get. They're consistent. They play all their songs to a good standard. I'm personally not mad about their singer but that's personal preference. They're what I think of when I hear the term "wedding band". Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual to decide. In fairness though, they've been booked solid every summer with weddings for god knows how long so they must be doing something right! The vast majority of guests will enjoy the night if you have them playing. There's nothing original there but if you're happy with that type of band, they're about the best you'll get in Waterford IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

nkay1985 wrote: »
    WIth Avalon I think you know what you get. They're consistent. They play all their songs to a good standard. I'm personally not mad about their singer but that's personal preference. They're what I think of when I hear the term "wedding band". Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to the individual to decide. In fairness though, they've been booked solid every summer with weddings for god knows how long so they must be doing something right! The vast majority of guests will enjoy the night if you have them playing. There's nothing original there but if you're happy with that type of band, they're about the best you'll get in Waterford IMO.
    I second that! ! !

Advertisement