Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turnomator - A Multiplayer System for Turn Based Games

• 25-05-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm creating an application (Turnomator) which takes advantage of any game's Play By E-Mail functionality to create a new multiplayer system.

Players use the Turnomator website to create, join and manage sessions in any of the supported games (adding games is really easy).

They then use the Turnomator Client app to connect to to the website and take their actual turns. When the Take Turn is clicked the turn's save file is downloaded directly into the game's save folder and it's name is set to 'TURNOMATOR - YOUR TURN'. The game is loaded, and the save is loaded into the game if that is supported (like in Civ 4). After completing your turn and saving the client will detect the new file and upload that, completing your turn. Screenshots below.

So the website handles all of the management/lobbies/profiles/forums etc while the app handles the actual save files.

The website frontend is not yet complete, but the backend and client are (both should be considered in an alpha state but should be very stable).

Testing will begin at around 10pm this evening, that's when I'll be uploading the client to the forums.

I'm looking for players to help in testing out the system. Right now I have Alpha Centauri (by popular demand from my friends) and Civilization IV (plus it's expansions) added to the system.

There is no automated session creation/management at the moment, but a simple request in the forums and I'll do it for you.

To register go to http://www.turnomator.net/forums/, click Register and enter 'boards' as the Invitation Code (I want this post to be the only entry point for now).

That account is for the website/forums and the client.

I will approve your account within a few hours. Thank you.

P.S. Civilisation V will be supported.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm curious what advantage does it offer above and beyond either email (which is provided by the Civ 4 client) or even the use of a forum ?

Just not sure I see much of an advantage for a round-robin sort of game like civ.
    Now if you could force turns to automatically advance, that would be interesting. But the pitboss server can do that for you also.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Faerdan

Good question, I'll do my best to answer in bullet points:
    • Multiple Games: Join or create Sessions in any of the supported games (Civ series, Age of Wonders series etc.) in one centralised place.
    • Session Browser: Players can browse new Sessions and active Sessions which need a replacement player/players.
    • Lobby System: Each Session has a Lobby. The game management happens here, with private lobbies (password/invite only), public lobbies (with or without approval) etc. The forums are also integrated into the lobbies, threads can be created within them to discuss the session. The thread op can select which of the players in the session can view the thread (for alliances etc). Lobbies also contain the details of the session, including any mods required, custom settings etc.
    • Administration: Session Masters (the session creator) can revert to an earlier turn as these are all stored in the database, this may be put to a vote to avoid abuse (not decided yet). They can also kick players and/or open up player slots to other players if someones leaves or is kicked (again this may be a part of a vote system to avoid abuse).
    • Forums/Profiles: Integration with the Forums means that you can invite players from their posts or profile (if you are a Session Master with an open player slot). Player profiles show what sessions a player is currently in and those they've played in the past.
    • Desktop Notification: The client can be set to check for new turns every X number of minutes. A traytip/bubble will notify you of any new turns (in any of the Sessions you are in). Clicking on the Turnomator icon in the system tray will allow you to take your turn straight away, the client handles everything else.
    • You don't have to distribute your e-mail address and (optional) e-mail notifications will be added soon.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head.

Pitboss is great, but requires a dedicated server (well, one that is always online) and a unique instance for each session. Setting up a dedicated server is not feasible for everyone.

I don't think I can automatically advance turns I'm afraid, but I'll certainly look into it.

Advertisement