Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athlone

Options
  • 25-05-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all

Moving to Athlone soon I hear good things about the place :)
    I just want to ask what local newspapers are good for looking
    for accomadation? Daft hasn't got much 1 bed apartments on it
    so can you guys suggest any local paper or website??

Many thanks!
    FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

http://www.athloneadvertiser.ie

Take a trip around the town and out near the college and you will see plenty of signs for rent

also try Oates:

http://www.eraoates.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Try Property Matters too. If you ring them, ask for Claire. She's fairly good and much better than the rest of them in the office

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

fairycakes wrote: »
    Hi all

Moving to Athlone soon I hear good things about the place :)
    I just want to ask what local newspapers are good for looking
    for accomadation? Daft hasn't got much 1 bed apartments on it
    so can you guys suggest any local paper or website??

Many thanks!
    FC

There are loads of places up for rent. and nice places too. For what you would pay in Meath or Dublin for a 2 bed apartment, you could probably get a 3 or 4 bed house here in Athlone if you look in the right places. Example, 3 bed house in River Village/Monksland you could get for about 700/800 a month... thats less than the price of some one bed apartments in Dublin.
    But if you want to be close to town I would do a search for Shannon Weir Apartment, They are right on the river and a nice spot to be in with some nice local pubs and a quick 5 minute walk accross the bridge into town.

If you go the other side of town, by the college, you can expect to there to be plenty of student parties and that, but if you like the quite life then look around Monkland and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

also try some of the estates on the ballymahon rd/coosan area. 10 min walk into town and a really nice area. im biased because i live there but it is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

where do you want to be based fairycakes? East or west of the town?

I know of an apartment up soon for about 380/month.. its has private parking and is west of the town. Baylough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

Thanks all. Snyper I want to live in walkable distance to the college if possible, I had a look on google maps Baylough is about an hour walk from AIT would that be right?

Cheers FC

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

Thanks all. Snyper I want to live in walkable distance to the college if possible, I had a look on google maps Baylough is about an hour walk from AIT would that be right?

Cheers FC

back up the truck,
    THERES A COLLEGE IN ATHLONE?????!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Cheers FC
    Are you a student? There is some excellent accomadation close to the .I.T.

Glen Abhainn is nice but they are all 2 bedroom flats I think. Accomidation is no longer a limited thing in Athlone so dont be in any rush just yet as there is always some great deals nowadays. Do you want somewhere nice and quiet or are you a student thats wants to just stumble out of bed in the morning across the road to the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

Thanks for all the replies :) I am a mature student so no dont fancy living with 20 yr olds getting smashed evey night!! lol

I think the price for 1 bedroom apartments are above my budget so now looking at sharing places especially places like Woodville, Ard na Glug and The Glen they look ok but I am going by pictures I dont know Athlone at all

Cheers fc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Some of the landlords with accomadation near the college are very helpful,
    A couple told me they try to keep people of similar ages, interests together.
    It might be more convenient for you if your studying.

places like Woodville, Ard na Glug and The Glen they look ok but I am going by pictures I dont know Athlone at all

Cheers fc

They are all quieter estates but thay are a good bit from the IT. If you have a car then I would say go for it. If your on foot its a good 15-20min walk from woodville. 10 mins from Ard na glug and the glen is about 25mins walk.

Advertisement