Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working visa

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I was thinking of applying for the PR visa (class 175) with a view to moving to Australia in January. I'm a C# developer so my job in on the new SOL. Is it realistic to think I'll have the visa by January if I apply on the 1st of July? If it's unlikely, it is possible to apply for a working holiday visa if I've already applied for permanent residency?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

snapdraw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was thinking of applying for the PR visa (class 175) with a view to moving to Australia in January. I'm a C# developer so my job in on the new SOL. Is it realistic to think I'll have the visa by January if I apply on the 1st of July?
    No
    If it's unlikely, it is possible to apply for a working holiday visa if I've already applied for permanent residency?

Try the DIAC website on that one, there might be an issue however you can apply for residency onshore application (176)while in Oz on a WHV but once again double check.

Oh and in relation to the 175
    DIAC wrote:
    The department has temporarily suspended accepting new applications for Subclass 175, Subclass 176 and Subclass 475 visas. Subclass 475 subsequent entrant applications are still being accepted by paper application only.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/176/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 snapdraw

Thanks Zambia. Yeah it's looking like the working holiday visa is my best bet.

From an employment point of view, can anyone tell me if employers are less likely to employ working holiday visa holders compared to permanent residency visa holders? I'll be looking for contract work so hopefully the 6 month limit at any 1 employer won't pose too much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

From an employment point of view, can anyone tell me if employers are less likely to employ working holiday visa holders compared to permanent residency visa holders? I'll be looking for contract work so hopefully the 6 month limit at any 1 employer won't pose too much of a problem.

I'm in the same boat I will probably go over with the WHV and if I can't get sponsorship I'll appy for the skilled visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Nope not one bit -as long as you have the experience to back up working as a contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you apply for Skilled 175 you can still go on a WHV in the mean time, just make sure your 175 is not granted before the WHV (little chance of that) otherwise the 175 will be wiped and replaced by 417 (WHV)

you can only be possesion of one visa at a time

If you come on a WHV you could get 2 years if you do regional work, the 175 should be processed by then, you will be required to go offshore for the grant. DIAC will usually contact you to arrange for you take a holiday overseas and once your 175 is granted you can come back a made man.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Mandrake....that's what I'll probably have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Nope not one bit -as long as you have the experience to back up working as a contractor

With permenant positions I found recruitment agencys very unwilling to put you forward if you only have a WHV. I got a few calls from agencys enquiring about my visa status, and when I told them I had WHV they said they'd have to check with the employer...never heard from them again...wouldnt even take my call. But had no problem when dealing directly with the employer.

Agencys want more than 6 months pay out of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

paulieeye wrote: »
    With permenant positions I found recruitment agencys very unwilling to put you forward if you only have a WHV. I got a few calls from agencys enquiring about my visa status, and when I told them I had WHV they said they'd have to check with the employer...never heard from them again...wouldnt even take my call. But had no problem when dealing directly with the employer.

Pretty ignorant answer mate....not how we work at all. Probably worth more to us if you work for 6 months contracting anyway!

Agencies work on instruction/requests of their clients, if a client says no WHV we dont send them over. Its like if a Builder orders 100 bricks you dont send him 100 blocks. If you do, he wont use you again, pure and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

paulieeye wrote: »

But thats the point of contracting - they're not permanent positions...f*ck that if im going to work longer than 6 months anyway (although Im breaking my own rules at the moment :( )

As Didler said, its worth more for Software contractors to only work about 6 months anyway - being on a WHV doesnt come into it, in fact it suits it perfectly as there is no messing about - in for 3-6 months get it done then off again

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    As Didler said, its worth more for Software contractors to only work about 6 months anyway - being on a WHV doesnt come into it, in fact it suits it perfectly as there is no messing about - in for 3-6 months get it done then off again

That's what I was thinking. Are there any Boardsies doing IT contracting in Sydney? What are the prospects like at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you apply for Skilled 175 you can still go on a WHV in the mean time, just make sure your 175 is not granted before the WHV (little chance of that) otherwise the 175 will be wiped and replaced by 417 (WHV)

Good luck

Thats not true, once you have a 175 visa they will decline a 417 you apply.
    all other advise is sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sharky86 wrote: »
    Thats not true, once you have a 175 visa they will decline a 417 you apply.
    all other advise is sound

The OP has not got a 175 yet he is only thinking of applying and while he waits for the PR 175 to be processed he wants to go on a WHV.

AFAIK it is possible to apply for a 175 and then apply for WHV, it will not be declined as long as the 175 has not been Initially activated.

The 175 would be superseded by by the 417 if the 175 had been granted but not activated (by means of Initial entry)

Have a detailed read through these threads posted by Andy R on BE it explains it all there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6950313

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7299075

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614926

Advertisement