Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Scoil near Killorgin, Kerry

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey, would anyone know if there was a Gael primary school anywhere near to Killorglin, Co Kerry. I know there not one in that town, just wondering if there was one close ( as in driving distance )

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Closest Gael Scoil is in Killarney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

That's about a 30min drive, I imagine it would be a bit longer in morning traffic as well.

Do you know the name of the school? I can ring them and see if they have a bus service. If they dont then i might have to move a bit closer, all depending on if they even have places.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jackira wrote: »
    That's about a 30min drive, I imagine it would be a bit longer in morning traffic as well.

Do you know the name of the school? I can ring them and see if they have a bus service. If they dont then i might have to move a bit closer, all depending on if they even have places.

Yeah I agree with newman10 in that that gaelscoil would be the closest to Killorglin, details:

Gaelscoil Faithleann

Address : Deerpark, Killarney, Co. Kerry.
    Telephone : +353 (0)64 66 34930

... and from the direction you would be coming into the town from, you would essentially be crossing over to the other side of Killarney town via the by-pass & back in the Park Road.

jackira wrote: »

AFAIK the School serves the Killarney area and there is no Bus service to this school

Hi Jackira

Just got a little information regarding Gaelscoileanna.

It seems that one has a legal right to educate your child through Irish thus this gives you a right to have your child transported to the nearest Gaelscoil.

Because of this ruling a bus run operates picking up children in Beaufort bring them to and from School. Hope that this information helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jackira

Hey, thanks for that guys.

I gave them a ring but I think I might have problems regarding their policy, which was the same with the school that they are in at the moment that you have to speak Irish yourself. I've been split from my partner for 2 years now and he was the one that was fluent in Irish, which is how they got into the Gael school in the first place...now i can speak a bit ( mainly giving out to them lol so when I'm on holiday or back home in England no one else can understand what I'm threatening to do to them when we get home if they dont stop messing!)

Hopefully a letter from their current school saying that I've managed just fine for the last 2 years will help me in that matter. The only problems I do have is my 7 year old daughter and her reading, there's no way I can help her or correct her if she is wrong but my 10 year old son helps her with that, I dont really need to help with my son, if he is stuck then he just translates it for me and then I can explain it to him.

That bus service from Beaufort would be great...It's still about a 15 mins drive according to google maps away from Killorglin but it would help a lot. I dont mind driving 15 mins if it means they can carry on going to a Gael school, would seem a waste for them to have done all their education so far in irish and not to carry on with it.

Thanks for all you help.

Advertisement