Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting new product from Dell

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/dell-streak-lsquomini-ipadrsquo-to-launch-in-uk-2193436.html

This could be the product we were hoping the iPad would be, if it's priced right this would be a very nice little device to have alongside a regular smart phone.

Here's the text for those who can't link to the indo.
    Computer giant Dell today sought to steal a march on Apple’s iPad launch by announcing the release of its Google Android-based Streak tablet in the UK. It will be available on O2 from early June, and then later in the month via Dell.co.uk.

The 5” device is hotly anticipated in America because it will bridge the gap between smartphones and iPad style tablet computers, which typically have screens of around nine inches or larger.

It will also offering the open Android platform rather than Apple’s closed iPhone operating system. Unusually, however, it will be released in the UK first, and then in America later in the summer.

Dell says that the device is conceived as “data first”, although it can be used as a phone too.

Web browsing on the larger screen means that most sites look very similar to their desktop equivalents, while watching films is also slightly easier than on a smaller mobile phone screen.

Also featuring turn-by-turn navigation and a 5mp camera, the Streak will run Android 2.1 but will be upgraded to the Adobe Flash supporting version 2.2 later in the year, for free and over the network.

The device uses the same Snapdragon processor that powers HTC’s much-lauded Desire handset and will ship with 2gb of internal storage, expandable to 32gb.

Neither HTC nor Dell are confirming prices until closer to the product shipping, but it is expected to be priced more like a high-end smartphone than the iPad.

“The Dell Streak is a bold new class of product, something we wanted to bring to our customers first,” said Steve Alder, O2’s General Manager Devices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

While I think the device has promise, it's neither big enough or small enough for general use. It sort of sits in between an iPad and a smartphone; hence why Dell don't refer to it as a smartphone and are referring to it, instead, as a tablet.

It will be interesting to see how the public receives this device and whether or not it is a big seller. To be honest though, I don't know if it will be that successful given its size.

10x0525mnb23lwdellstr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just another touchscreen gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I'm happy enough with my 4.3 inch HTC HD2 thanks very much and it fits easily in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I'm happy enough with my 4.3 inch HTC HD2 thanks very much and it fits easily in my pocket.

That's the thing, I found the HD2 too large for daily carrying around as my main phone, looks lovely, but too big, something like the above device, maybe a 7" version, I could see as a mini PC/full web browsing email device/Media player/handheld gaming console/GPS, something to possibly integrate into a car too, basically a slightly smaller iPad without the restrictions of an iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

truthfully it is one of the only tablets that hasn't turned into vapourware yet it is probably the only one that should of.

I think it is too small to be a separate tablet when you probably already have a smarthphone. Also I don't think Dell even know what market it should be in as they say it isn't a Smartphone but will be launching it exclusively on O2 in the UK next month and in my opinion if you launch it with a mobile carrier you are targeting it as a phone. Also it is only running veriosn 1.6 of android so no flash support.

Truthfully though I think their looking glass tablet will probably be a better comparison for the ipad when it come out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Needs to be bigger as its just to small compared to a smart phone to be worth buying tbh.

An ipad sized tablet running Android would be so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Venom wrote: »
    An ipad sized tablet running Android would be so cool.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055914558

It certainly needs to be better than the one in that thread to be competitive but they are working on the idea by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Boxfresh wrote: »

same here got the HD2 and wouldnt really think of ever buying that...its stupid...and to the other post about it being too big to carry around im sure carrying around a dell and a other type of phone would be just as annoyin...though its not like HD2 is a brick...its very slim :) and i got big hands so its comfy to hold for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055914558

It certainly needs to be better than the one in that thread to be competitive but they are working on the idea by the looks of it.

serioulsy!!!!!! it is $99 with free shipping and without any carrier subsidy so I don't think you can really that that slate isn't value for money

Advertisement