Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining work experience

• 25-05-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for ways to gain work experience with clinical populations, but I'm not sure where else to look.
    I have my BA in Psychology and I'm in the middle of a PhD, but I'd love to get some proper clinical experience. I've checked out some volunteering websites and I have done bits here and there, including a year as a part time assistant neuropsychologist. I'm just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions where I could find some relevant work, voluntarily if necessary?
    Unfortunately my PhD is full time so I can't apply for a 9-5 type of position, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Have you contacted your psychology faculty for leads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I have, but unfortunately I'm enrolled in the Dept of Psychiatry for my research (because that's where my grant comes from afaik) and Psychology tend to help their own students first-which is fair enough, I can't begrudge them that.
    I'm really wondering if anyone has been in a similar position, and what have you done to get experience? ISPCC, helplines, care workers, that kind of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Another option worth considering would be any community based addiction treatment/rehab facilities, most of them are feeling the pinch around funding so you may get something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

That's not a bad idea, thanks :) a lot of voluntary-based websites haven't helped too much so it seems going to organisations directly might be the best bet.
    It's a shame there aren't more experience opportunities put to psychology graduates in Ireland; this is the main reason most of my class have moved away from the field since graduating...

Advertisement