Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toll dodgers

• 25-05-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

I'm not a regular on the M50, but was driving southbound on it yesterday and was about 150 metres shy of coming under the plate recognition cameras and noticed a guy on a bike right behind me. I mean this guy was about a metre away from my boot, he was staring right in my back window.

Just before the cameras i nipped into the middle lane at the last moment, hopefully he got done but is this a regular occurance on the M50?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If he was on a bike, the reg would be at the back and the cameras would have seen him, so he was probably just tailgating. The cameras face both ways anyway AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Alot of ppl take off their front number plate too - one of the guys from work does and has been doing so for best part of a year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Stee wrote: »
    If he was on a bike, the reg would be at the back and the cameras would have seen him, so he was probably just tailgating. The cameras face both ways anyway AFAIK

Only the front dude....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Stee wrote: »
    No they don't. Front only.

The biker was just being a bollix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

A neighbour used to put a bit of black tape to change a number so he wouldnt be caught. Pity the guards didn't stop him...

• Advertisement

thewools wrote: »
    Alot of ppl take off their front number plate too - one of the guys from work does and has been doing so for best part of a year...
    Or if you are driving an eastern reg plate you are home and hosed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Bikes are free on the M50, so maybe he was just an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

thewools wrote: »
    Only the front dude....

Ok, well either way the biker wasnt toll dodging, just acting the maggot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    A "friend" was it ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bikes are free on the M50 toll, so he was just driving like an idiot.

You do see guys in cars drafting within 2m of trucks and lorries though going through the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

seamus wrote: »
    You do see guys in cars drafting within 2m of trucks and lorries though going through the cameras.

Unfortunately this happens very frequently. Idiots driving within 2 feet of the back of an artic at 80kmph. I'd prefer to pay the €3 rather than have the opportunity to bury myself (and any passengers) under the rear wheels of a 40ft if someone decides to pull in infront of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I was driving home from Galway on the M6 early on Sunday afternoon and there was a non-D reg Fiat Marea which had been driving like a tool for a while up ahead of me.

Coming to a stop behind it at the toll barrier (I was third in line, Fiat was second) myself and the Mrs were commenting on their shoddy driving when as the barrier raised for the first car the Marea floored it and went through too.

Surely a man I presumed (speeding/toll dodging), but no, as we caught up and overtook them I looked in and it was a middle aged woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

What goes around comes around... the un-marked Gardai car will get them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

mailforkev wrote: »
    I was driving home from Galway on the M6 early on Sunday afternoon and there was a non-D reg Fiat Marea

What's a non-D reg?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I'm not a regular on the M50, but was driving southbound on it yesterday and was about 150 metres shy of coming under the plate recognition cameras and noticed a guy on a bike right behind me. I mean this guy was about a metre away from my boot, he was staring right in my back window.

Just before the cameras i nipped into the middle lane at the last moment, hopefully he got done but is this a regular occurance on the M50?

I don't think that is the reason the guy was behind you as bikes have no reg plate on the front.

But yeah, I've been told by friends that if you keep close enough behind an artic truck the cameras will not get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

MarkN wrote: »
    What's a non-D reg?? :confused:

An a,b,c,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y or z reg :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

tobsey wrote: »
    Bikes are free on the M50, so maybe he was just an idiot.

Ha ha, well there you go, must have just been a tosser. No clue why he was there, sure I was in the regular driving lane and i was able to move into the middle lane no problem. Maybe he didnt know bikes were free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ha ha, well there you go, must have just been a tosser. No clue why he was there, sure I was in the regular driving lane and i was able to move into the middle lane no problem. Maybe he didnt know bikes were free.

You would assume being on a bike that at least he would have spotted the lack of a reg plate on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Regarding toll avoidance has anyone come across this situation, in the express toll lane,
    where the car in front of you obviously has no 'easy pass' and toll amount doesn't
    register on display when they pass, but they stay just in front of your car, and when
    barrier opens for you they shoot through, barrier closes any you have to move over to
    another lane to get through. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and
    seems to be calculated and perfectly timed. The toll operators have told me I will still
    only be charged for one toll within a certain time period, but still very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You would assume being on a bike that at least he would have spotted the lack of a reg plate on the front.

Another good point. Tosser is it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

mailforkev wrote: »
    Coming to a stop behind it at the toll barrier (I was third in line, Fiat was second) myself and the Mrs were commenting on their shoddy driving when as the barrier raised for the first car the Marea floored it and went through too.

That won't help him, they have him on camera and they will send him a bill + a fine.
    911s wrote: »
    Regarding toll avoidance has anyone come across this situation, in the express toll lane,
    where the car in front of you obviously has no 'easy pass' and toll amount doesn't
    register on display when they pass, but they stay just in front of your car, and when
    barrier opens for you they shoot through, barrier closes any you have to move over to
    another lane to get through. This has happened to me on more than one occasion and
    seems to be calculated and perfectly timed. The toll operators have told me I will still
    only be charged for one toll within a certain time period, but still very annoying.

Yes, several times. Ever since, I keep extra distance of another car in front of me goes through the express lane.

The M4 toll seems to be reasonable intelligent and actually stays closed and only opens when a valid tagged car arrives.

I think it either counts cars (infra-red barrier) or tries to re-read the tag before opening the barrier (so once for billing and once for opening the barrier).

On the M6 however, some old fart (70+ in age) went through and the barrier crashed into my front window, then moved away (they are designed to give in). I caught up with him on the way out of the toll, as he had stopped confused in the middle of the road, told him, what he'd done and told him, that he had to take it with the toll guys/girls, when he offered to pay me. Obviously, I had to talk to them now in regards to the barrier. While I walked over to the toll both, the fecker just drives off.

The girls at the toll told me, they have everyone on video and the dodgers get send the bill+fine and eventually dragged to court, if they don't pay up. So no point dodging the M4/M6 tolls.

/M

Advertisement