Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub opening times 24 hours or not?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on 24 hour drinking.

Having been to few a countrys were the time of the day isnt a factor id have to say im all for it.

Reasons being 1. You dont seem to get a massive influx of drunken people all on the street at the same time which is never going to be a good idea.

2. I found I didnt nor did freinds tend to get as drunk as we werent looking at our watches going damn pubs closing in an hour get them into yeh quick, instead we just sat there drinking at a nice steady pace.

Sorry if this been done before but was just looking at anohter thread that got me thinking about it.

24 hours drinking? 133 votes

Yes im all for it
    0% 0 votes
    No would be a terrible idea
    100% 133 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Just hook it to my veins!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'm all for it.

I think there is an inverse linear relationship between alcohol availability and alcohol related problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

totally in favour. We all have different lifestyles and it caters for eg people on shiftwork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

normally i'd be all for it, but if they're gonna take away my head shops, they can **** off with their 24hr pubs.

"this taxable drug is ok, as long as you drink it" - Bill Hicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes. I should be able to buy a drink whenever I like, and not have to have these laws forced upon me because a proportion of people can't handle their drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 xxlily87xx

im definately all for it, and i think you right there would definately be alot less drunken people on the street at the same time and alot less work for the bouncers trying to get everyone out.

even if the off licences stayed open id be happy with that, was over in england a few weeks ago and i left the pub at about 3am with a few of my friends and we were able to go to the off licence and grab a few beers to drink in the apartment, its handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

At first it would more then likely be abused as people would be like OMG PUBS OPEN FOREVER DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!!

But it would calm down after awhile and more then likely it would turn out like most things in Ireland when were aloud have it we dont want it as much :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Absolutely - think about it - if things were otherwise and it was suggested that we have hundreds or thousands of people converging on the streets at the one time late at night and full of booze - unable to get a taxi home for ages - it'd be deemed crazy - and yet what do we have? It's a very Irish situation the way we have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

My local was serving till 5:30 the other night. Up yours alcohol haters :D

It would mean I would no longer be saved from being a complete mess by the bar closing but Id still be for 24 hour opening. Although eventually you do get to the point where you want to go home even if the place is still open.

When I lived in London if you ran out of drink at 4am you just go around the corner to the local 24 hour shop which served drink 24 hours a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

staged closing times for bars and clubs. A range of 1am-7am is good.

Apply for a licence, get it at a nice time of 3am limits.

Screw up with minors, intox, fights etc and get it knocked back and hour or so at a time until premise is forced to shut.
    Do it right and get the time extended if required.

Venues will police themselves better and take care of their customers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

24hr drinking is grand by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Why just 24 hours? They should be open all the time!

/drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Picture it....

You've been out drinking in town since around 4pm - It's now 4am, You have your Laser card in hand again....You realise you've done this every Friday & Saturday for the past Month......It's Rent week

As good as they sound have to admit I'm secretly hoping these never happen :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh yeah 24 hour ****ing drinking - ranting and raving on the streets @ 5am in the morning. But god forbid the headshops stay open for all the hippies to stay at home glued to the couch quietly scarfing munchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

It would never work. Crime would increase and the eejits who can't handle there drink would make a mess of themselves. A cafe style culture that exists in other countries wouldn't work in this society. Our streets would be like rivers of vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Personally I'm not sure if using other countries as an example of 24 hour drinking is a good idea. We have a very different relationship with alcohol compared to most countries where there is 24 hour drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

baldbear wrote: »
    It would never work. Crime would increase and the eejits who can't handle there drink would make a mess of themselves. A cafe style culture that exists in other countries wouldn't work in this society. Our streets would be like rivers of vomit.

Why do you think crime would increase? I honestly think it would decrease, especially violent crime because you wouldnt have thousand of drunks all trying to get the same taxis, or all queing to get the same food. Instead youd have a steady pace of people coming and going throughout the night.

Also the eejits who cant handle there drink will make an eejit of themsleves regardless of pub opening times.

I dont know about that some of the places ive been didnt have cafe style culutres either and it worked grand. Sure just look at england its seems to be working over there, ive also found in places like england they are policed a lot better than here in ireland. The police dont really have to do anything but there presence alone seems enough of a deterrent to stop people doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Personally I'm not sure if using other countries as an example of 24 hour drinking is a good idea. We have a very different relationship with alcohol compared to most countries where there is 24 hour drinking.

A lot of the difference in the Irish attitude towards alcohol is perhaps because we handle it differently to our continental cousins.

Perhaps if we treated it more like the continent does, then as a society we would change our attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Wouldn't work here. Too many piss-heads per capita in Ireland spoiling it for everyone else.

Prohibition is the way go imho. Drive out the evil drug users & dealers who are ruining this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bonerm wrote: »

Prohibition is the way go imho. Drive out the evil drug users & dealers who are ruining this country.

prohibition created the evil drug users and dealers in the first place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Why do you think crime would increase? I honestly think it would decrease, especially violent crime because you wouldnt have thousand of drunks all trying to get the same taxis, or all queing to get the same food. Instead youd have a steady pace of people coming and going throughout the night.

get away with that sort of common-sense talk would you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

24 hours is great, you head out and head home when you please, you can relax, enjoy your drinks without having to worry about closing times, queues for a dirty boorger or having to wait in the rain for 45 mins for a taxi while all hell breaks loose around you.

I've yet to see a fight in all my time on the Reeperbahn while 8 times out of 10 in Ireland I would see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Give it a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife is from a small town in the West where 24-hour licensing has been operating since the 50s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Picture it....

You've been out drinking in town since around 4pm - It's now 4am, You have your Laser card in hand again....You realise you've done this every Friday & Saturday for the past Month......It's Rent week

As good as they sound have to admit I'm secretly hoping these never happen :eek:

The problem there is with poor money management, not alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I think too many eejits/thugs/chavs would ruin it for everyone. Having said that, not being able to get offy after 10pm annoys the **** outta me I see it as pure nanny state ****e. So, maybe only a few pubs/clubs for starters on a trial period? or more late licences? or bring back late offy opening times?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

It's worked well in England i'm told, has reduced drink related crime significantly and our drinking culture is similar to Englands. I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Apt username OP ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It would work. Maybe have the pubs/clubs which do have it over 21's.

Advertisement