Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub opening times 24 hours or not?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

poisonated wrote: »
    It would work. Maybe have the pubs/clubs which do have it over 21's.

Over 21s is a joke to be fair.

I'm the same twat now that i was 5 years ago. I'm just bigger and angrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

They already are you just have to know the right pub ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I think it's a superb idea. People wouldn't feel the need to get pissed as fast as possible and it would cut down on the usual 3am mayhem. Yes, people will go crazy for drink at the start but the novilty will wear off quite quickly. It's not fair that we get punished for what a small minority or idiots do. I think the currect law if very unfair on people who have to work unsociable hours also if this came in it would be much harder for nightclubs to rip us off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Theoretically, yes. Unfortunately there are literally thousands of fuckwits in this country who just don't know how to drink with any sense. And then there are the others who turn into violent idiots once they're plyed with booze. If these problems can be properly tackled, then 24 hour drinking hurrah! We need a shift in our attitudes towards booze. And I don't see that happening quickly. Christ, they cant even see sense enough to bring in staggered closing times in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Living near a load of pubs with 24 hour drinking is not fun, it just means dribs and drabs of idiots roaming the streets throughout the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Gaunty wrote: »
    It's worked well in England i'm told, has reduced drink related crime significantly and our drinking culture is similar to Englands. I'm all for it.

All it will take here is a Joe Duffy hysteria campaign to have the politicians running for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Its like good friday you want it coz you are told you cant have it by mammy and daddy Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

In all fairness who'd go home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I would love to see some 24 hour pubs etc, but absolutely not in Ireland anytime soon. Until personal responsibility is ingrained into the national psyche. Then and only then should 24 hour bars be considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

prinz wrote: »
    I would love to see some 24 hour pubs etc, but absolutely not in Ireland anytime soon. Until personal responsibility is ingrained into the national psyche. Then and only then should 24 hour bars be considered.

so, about 2110 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Ireland along with other common law countries I feel have far more personal responsibility ingrained in our societies than civil law countries such as France, Belgium etc.

There they see the state as having to care for them to provide free services like rubbish, health, education, etc. I mean think of the attitude towards dog **** you find in those countries? They feel its the cities responsibility to clean up after their dogs rather than their own!

The grass is not always greener.

so, about 2110 then?

If we're lucky ;)
    enda1 wrote: »
    The grass is not always greener.

I never said it was nor compared Ireland to other legal jurisdictions. We have a serious problem in this country with regard to personal responsibility that much is certain.

We have a serious problem in this country with regard to personal responsibility that much is certain.

I completely disagree. I think we are quite high on the list of those who take most responsibility for their actions.

Of course we are not perfect and there are problems, but serious; nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

24 hour drinking sounds graeat ho to be honest i dont think any one on this thread whos posted, could quite possibly manage it...

24 hour drinking sounds graeat ho to be honest i dont think any one on this thread whos posted, could quite possibly manage it...

Where I live there is 24 drinking. I manage quite fine thanks.

I completely disagree. I think we are quite high on the list of those who take most responsibility for their actions..

Our compensation culture was known worldwide. It's coming down a lot but is still prevalent.
    A 1999 IBEC report on Personal Injury Compensation gave an example of an award of £12,000 to a man who cycled through a warning tape while drunk.
    The same IBEC report showed that Irish workers are twice as likely to claim for injury as workers in Britain, despite us having the lowest workplace accident rate in Europe, less than half that of the U.K.

http://www.actuaries.ie/Events%20and%20Papers/Events%202003/2003-02-12_Current%20issues/2003-02-12_Effect_Society.pdf

Claim, claim claim!! It was always somebody else's fault! Hurt your toe because you weren't watching where you were going. Sue someone else!

During the late 90's and early 00's we were the second most litigious country on earth after the US. This is slowly changing but still prevalent.

Criminal defence is Irish law still seems to centre on abdicating personal responsibility as opposed to challenging the nature of the crime charged itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

In favour but they should review the ridiculously early off license closing times first

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Where I live there is 24 drinking. I manage quite fine thanks.

Gold star for you so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

In theory, it would be a great idea. Not everyone works the 9-5 Monday - Friday, and we'd like to have a social life as well, but are limited in where we can go. It would also stop the influx of people on the streets at 3ish, with the row's in the chippers and on the streets subsiding as you wouldn't have as many drunk ****wits fighting over a boird/burger/taxi/repressed homosexuality and what not.

OT I'd also like to see drinks promotions and Happy Hour making a return, as it would force some bloody competition back into the bar trade, and **** Vintners.

BUT (And there's always a but)

We as a people? Probably not a good idea. There'd be so much ****ing havoc played in the first month of it starting that it would quickly get Joe Duffied back to where we're at now, and probably worse. I mean, Joe, he was urinating. On my bushes. What would the baby Jebus think?

While the majority of people would say to themselves (or the mirror, street lamp, or whatever inanimate object catches their eye) "Right, I'm a bit worse for wear, I should go home, maybe stop and get some chips, and sleep it off," there are quite a few about that would get to that stage, and keep on going, hell for leather, until their liver/kidneys 'splode. And then go back to the bar for a Jagerbomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

There should be 24 hour drinking, but not every pub/club should be allowed open that late. Standard closing should be 1, and pubs can apply to remain open later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

zootroid wrote: »
    There should be 24 hour drinking, but not every pub/club should be allowed open that late. Standard closing should be 1, and pubs can apply to remain open later

Congratulations.

That makes next to no sense at all.

I think what you were getting at it that pubs should have staggered closing.

They actually do that in Cavan here, one "club" closed at 2.30, the other at 3. At least there isn't a huge rush out at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Rabies wrote: »
    staged closing times for bars and clubs. A range of 1am-7am is good.

How would this work ?

Wouldnt the places which have to close earlier complain about being put at a competetive disadvantage and wouldnt half the people being chucked out of these places at clocing time attempt to gain entry to the later venues ?

The fact that so many people in Ireland have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement to all night drinking regardless of the effect on anyone else itself is a strong indication that its not a particularly good idea.

Oh and hasnt it proved a disaster in the UK with the authorities planning to abandon it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Instead of 24 hour why not allow pubs to open for say 18 hours a day with any hours of their choosing, so they can decide what time to close themselves but not being open all day.

Advertisement