Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good deals on Irish/craft/speciality beers

• 25-05-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on good deals for good beers. I'm no beer expert, but the idea is anything interesting (and at a good price) would go in here. Commonly-available stuff (Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg etc.) doesn't count, offers are available all the time on these. The idea would be to tempt people to try something a bit different, at a reasonable price, and hopefully somewhere it can be easily found (e.g., supermarket rather than speciality off-licence).

To start, Superquinn have any 3 O'Hara's Red, Celtic Stout or Curim (500ml) for €7 in Blanchardstown, assume this is the same in other stores. Think the offer runs until mid-June.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lots of the specialty offies have 4 for €10 on the Sierra Nevada range and 5 for €10 on The Porterhouse beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

BeerNut wrote: »
    Lots of the specialty offies have 4 for €10 on the Sierra Nevada range and 5 for €10 on The Porterhouse beers.

Carvill's have 5 for €11 on Sierra's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

To start, Superquinn have any 3 O'Hara's Red, Celtic Stout or Curim (500ml) for €7 in Blanchardstown, assume this is the same in other stores. Think the offer runs until mid-June.

I got 3 x O'Hara's Red in Tesco in Bray for €6 on Saturday, which was nice.

Also, I presume most people know this, but some may not, Aldi sell an "Irish Ale" which is made by O'Hara's for them, it's NOT the same as their "Red", and I, personally, prefer it. Can't remember the price though.

And, once again, probably common knowledge at this stage, but I'll stick it up anyway. Tesco sell Fullers London Pride and Organic Honeydew for €1.99/500ml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Aldi's ale was 5.49 last time i bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Des wrote: »

Also, I presume most people know this, but some may not, Aldi sell an "Irish Ale" which is made by O'Hara's for them, it's NOT the same as their "Red", and I, personally, prefer it. Can't remember the price though.

And, once again, probably common knowledge at this stage, but I'll stick it up anyway. Tesco sell Fullers London Pride and Organic Honeydew for €1.99/500ml

Damn, now I feel so ripped off! What's this country coming to?:)

I tried the Aldi stuff, thought the O'Hara's was better though. From memory it was quite expensive too (especially for Aldi), so if you prefer O'Hara's you're better off buying their branded stuff.

Dunnes also do the Fullers for €1.99.

I might be alone on this, but it's always nice to find something interesting among the big supermarket beer displays, almost hidden in plain sight. Superquinn had an Adnams promotion on a few weeks ago, not something you see every day of the week even at full price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Superquinn had an Adnams promotion on a few weeks ago, not something you see every day of the week even at full price.
    Four for a tenner, including Innovation (usually €3.69/bottle). I put a fair dent in that one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I tried the Aldi stuff, thought the O'Hara's was better though. From memory it was quite expensive too (especially for Aldi), so if you prefer O'Hara's you're better off buying their branded stuff.

Must admit I prefer the Aldi Red as it seems a bit more meaty than the O'Hara's Red I have to say which I like too but it is a smoother drink which some people may prefer.

At the end of the day it really is down to taste but both are good.

However 5.49 for 4 x 33cl is not as bad as it seems as it works out as roughly €2 per 50cl.

O'Haras is usually about €2.69 for a 50cl bottle in offies eventhough sometimes you can get it for €2 on offer (i.e. 3 for €6).

WHat you have to remember is that at the end of the day an Irish company is still benifiting from the sale so there is no real difference on which you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just seen this today, great value. On both the Red and the Stout. Gona stock up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Just spotted 5 bottles of Franziskaner in my local Centra for €8.
    Bargin in anyones book, nice beer too

HB

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Just spotted 5 bottles of Franziskaner in my local Centra for €8.
    Bargin in anyones book, nice beer too

HB

It might be helpful to know which centra it is, otherwise you're going to have a lot of people trawling through the hundreds of centras looking for cheap beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Thought they all have the same deals at the same time...........sorry.
    Centra in question was in Clarenbridge, Co. Galway.
    Hope they have em elsewhere........

HB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Tesco sell Fullers London Pride and Organic Honeydew for €1.99/500ml
    They've also begun to stock Wychwood's Hobgoblin (€2.13/500ml) and Innis & Gunn's Oak-Aged Beer (€1.89/330ml), or at least they have in Jervis St.
    Dunnes also do the Fullers for €1.99.
    Dunnes in Stephen's Green SC were recently selling off London Pride for €0.99 per bottle.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Dunnes in Stephen's Green SC were recently selling off London Pride for €0.99 per bottle.
    :eek::eek::eek::):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Good deals on in Redmond's Ranelagh for the next few weeks...

see here,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2278434&id=120637134043#!/album.php?aid=177556&id=120637134043

Jev/N wrote: »
    Good deals on in Redmond's Ranelagh for the next few weeks...

see here,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2278434&id=120637134043#!/album.php?aid=177556&id=120637134043

Some good drinks in that list. Old Macs is Miller if it were brewed right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Dungarvan Brewing Company beers are two for a fiver in Ardkeen Food store in Waterford, for anyone down this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Tesco Off-License in Phibsboro (and maybe elsewhere) have 4 Leffe for €5. Yep, you heard me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

All the Tescos atm seem to have 4 Leffe/Staropramen/Brahma/Morretti for a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

simonw wrote: »
    All the Tescos atm seem to have 4 Leffe/Staropramen/Brahma/Morretti for a fiver

Sweet, shall head in tomorrow for some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dunnes in the Ilac now stock Hobgoblin and Old Speckled Hen at €1.99 per 500ml bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

€10 for 7 500ML bottles of the following in Johnstons in Thurles, I'm sure you'll all agree it's a whopper bargain!

29262_128905070469630_100000504129675_277864_6219076_s.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=244689&id=100000504129675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street has great value on bottled Porterhouse beers. Going for €1.89 a pop. Best value I've seen for them.

They also have some beers from Whitewater, Carlow and Hilden all going for €2.89-€2.99.

Very good value for great Irish Beer.

Needless to say I filled my backpack!!:)

Advertisement