Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple selection Polls

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭

For example here

As I type this the %age currently adds up to 176.93% total between the 4 options. Obviously this is wrong. I know its something about being able to pick two or more options in the same vote as such but regardless the vote should still only ever reach 100%.

Is this something that can be fixed?

Even if there are 4 options:
    Voter 1 votes for Option A: A has 1 vote out of 1, which is 100%
    Voter 2 votes for Options A, B, C & D: Now A has two votes the rest have one, so A should have 40% and the rest 20% but this doesn't happen in these polls for some reason...

Its quite annoying.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pretty easy to fix.

100% / no. of posters = % per poster.

% per poster / no. of options chosen by poster = % per choice by poster.

So 5 posters vote, 4 choose 1 option, 1 chooses 2 options.

Each poster gets 20% total, for the last voter each of his two votes count for 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, surely it 6 votes total so 100% / 6 X no of votes for each option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

For example here

As I type this the %age currently adds up to 176.93% total between the 4 options. Obviously this is wrong. I know its something about being able to pick two or more options in the same vote as such but regardless the vote should still only ever reach 100%.

Is this something that can be fixed?

Even if there are 4 options:
    Voter 1 votes for Option A: A has 1 vote out of 1, which is 100%
    Voter 2 votes for Options A, B, C & D: Now A has two votes the rest have one, so A should have 40% and the rest 20% but this doesn't happen in these polls for some reason...

Its quite annoying.

That type of poll isn't suitable for the question. Surely you can only give one answer to such a question?

Whereas multiple choice polls are great for the likes of a meet up thread. When are you available? a) monday b) tuesday etc. The results will tell you when the majority of people are all available and you can choose more than one day.

For example: Dublin Beers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cathooo wrote: »
    That type of poll isn't suitable for the question. Surely you can only give one answer to such a question?

Whereas multiple choice polls are great for the likes of a meet up thread. When are you available? a) monday b) tuesday etc. The results will tell you when the majority of people are all available and you can choose more than one day.

For example: Dublin Beers

No, you could give differing answers. I don't care about the particular poll, and the one you link shows the same principal. You can't have more than 100%, the basis of calculation is flawed somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No, you could give differing answers. I don't care about the particular poll, and the one you link shows the same principal. You can't have more than 100%, the basis of calculation is flawed somewhere.

It's not flawed, the example I gave was never meant to be a total of all the percentages. If 10 people want to go to beers and are voting, 10 are available the first day, 5 are available the second day, 2 on the third, 3 on the forth, then the first day will have a 100% attendance.

By your calculations you'd want option A to total 50%, B 25%, C 10% and D15% which all add up to 100% but why would A be 50% when 100% of the people voting opted for it?

Your example should have had more options with the ability to only choose one, it would have made more sense, but it was a light hearted thread so I don't think it matters too much. Changing the way a multiple choice poll tots up the percentages wouldn't make sense and should be left as is imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement