Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in the 5 colleges

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Is there anybody who is in each of the 5 medical schools in the Republic of Ireland could give a review of their course. by the way Im a 1st year ucc pharmacy straggler whos taking the plunge hopefully.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

1st year UCD graduate medicine information here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627622. I'll post about 2nd year when we finish next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Is there anybody who is in each of the 5 medical schools in the Republic of Ireland could give a review of their course. by the way Im a 1st year ucc pharmacy straggler whos taking the plunge hopefully.:)

Why?Is pharmacy a boring course then?Just curious as i have it as a back up:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

GradMed wrote: »
    1st year UCD graduate medicine information here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627622. I'll post about 2nd year when we finish next month.

seriously good post. Am going to see UCD on Monday - looking forward to it now. Thanks for input!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

briankirby wrote: »
    Why?Is pharmacy a boring course then?Just curious as i have it as a back up:confused:

Far from boring! If anything else, it's actually quite difficult :( I'm a pharmacy student myself and like JSK, I'm hoping to do medicine next year too but purely because I missed out on it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

etymon wrote: »
    seriously good post. Am going to see UCD on Monday - looking forward to it now. Thanks for input!

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'll be in Vincent's next week so if you want any questions answered I'm happy to meet you, or anyone else, in UCD to chat about gradmed. Just give me a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Is there anybody who is in each of the 5 medical schools in the Republic of Ireland could give a review of their course.

It'd be far easier for us to answer specific questions tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It'd be far easier for us to answer specific questions tbh.

Yes. I agree here.

If you've anything specific to ask about Trinity I'd be happy to answer... check out the prospectus for a general overview...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Could yous do a pros cons list of UCD and TCD? I'm well and truly on the fence at the mo!

I mean can those who go/went to TCD do one, same with UCD:rolleyes: All I know really is that TCD has greater prestige (may not be true) and UCD's good for a social life...

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I hear NUIG is good as they give you a pre-med year to settle down and even get a bit of experience in UCHG, before you begin you first year proper.
    Socially, its supposed to be great also.

On the downside your in for 6 years instead of 5..

Quick question on any med course, ive heard alot of talk about these MCQ exams in college, is this the main testing format, or is there many long/essay type qs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Just a quick note on the "great social life" thing that's been mentioned in a few posts: All of the Irish medical schools are in big (relatively speaking ;)) cities so they will all have good social scenes. In this case, you really will reap what you sow no matter where you go.
    stainluss wrote: »
    Quick question on any med course, ive heard alot of talk about these MCQ exams in college, is this the main testing format, or is there many long/essay type qs?

(In NUIG at least,) these MCQ exams form the main type of examination for continuous assessment (mainly for the preclinical years). There will be more awarded for the final papers which can utilise a few question formats. Short answer questions and essay types will make up the biggest part of these papers but there may be an introductory section of MCQs.

I'm not certain what happens for clinical years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

bleh! wrote: »
    Far from boring! If anything else, it's actually quite difficult :( I'm a pharmacy student myself and like JSK, I'm hoping to do medicine next year too but purely because I missed out on it last year.

there seems to be alot in pharmacy that want to swap over, i heard that half of your class did the HPAT

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

there seems to be alot in pharmacy that want to swap over, i heard that half of your class did the HPAT

Half is a bit of an exaggeration (in my class anyway). In my class, I think there are <20% who repeated the HPAT, still a significant amount of people but all of them, afaik, had medicine down 1st choice last year. It wasn't like they just changed their minds after doing 1st year pharmacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I hear NUIG is good as they give you a pre-med year to settle down and even get a bit of experience in UCHG, before you begin you first year proper.
    Socially, its supposed to be great also.

I know the thread is probably more about the 5 years of medicine and not premed, but heres a post I wrote a few months ago about premed in NUIG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Half the class is a bit of an exageration, maybe 15 at the most? I didnt have medicine on my cao form last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

bleh! wrote: »
    Half is a bit of an exaggeration (in my class anyway). In my class, I think there are <20% who repeated the HPAT, still a significant amount of people but all of them, afaik, had medicine down 1st choice last year. It wasn't like they just changed their minds after doing 1st year pharmacy.

Ya someone in 1st year this year told me it was half, i thought that sounded a bit much cos it's a really good course, i was really close to doing it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

In TCD, MCQ exams are substantial parts of our assessment, but they're generally worth less than the essay exams. For example, for our Biochemistry we sat two papers - an MCQ (worth something like 25% I think?) and an essay paper worth the rest.

In Anatomy/Physiology (combined module), there are essay questions on both subjects, an oral Anatomy exam, and Physiology MCQs. I'm not sure of the percentages but I'd guess that the MCQs are worth something like 20% again.

Advertisement