Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending blade

• 25-05-2010 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have experience sending an antique blade through the post /courier services internationally ?

If so please give us a shout. An Post have said that this is not permitted, so I am not sure if this is bad advice or not. IT sounds like one of those 'safer to say no' kind of things. There has to be a way to mail this. UPS are quoting a ridiculous amount.

I wouldn't mind but it was delivered to me by an post so I don't understand their issue here. Anyone with experience of this please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Morlar wrote: »
    Does anyone here have experience sending an antique blade through the post /courier services internationally ?

If so please give us a shout. An Post have said that this is not permitted, so I am not sure if this is bad advice or not. IT sounds like one of those 'safer to say no' kind of things. There has to be a way to mail this. UPS are quoting a ridiculous amount.

I wouldn't mind but it was delivered to me by an post so I don't understand their issue here. Anyone with experience of this please let me know.

i havent sent anything like this in the post but like you i received bayonets in the post. if its of any help to you one was sent wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a thick cardboard tube , the type used for posters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

i havent sent anything like this in the post but like you i received bayonets in the post. if its of any help to you one was sent wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a thick cardboard tube , the type used for posters etc.

Hi - do you mind me asking how was it labeled? ie 'antique blade' etc
    I have recieved through the post also - I think this is just somebody in the post office giving a safe answer. I checked their documentation and can find reference to all sorts of chemicals, firearms etc but no mention of a dagger. For god's sake people buy specialty kitchen knives & chef's knives online all the time, this has to be possible to send them back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Morlar wrote: »
    Hi - do you mind me asking how was it labeled? ie 'antique blade' etc
    I have recieved through the post also - I think this is just somebody in the post office giving a safe answer. I checked their documentation and can find reference to all sorts of chemicals, firearms etc but no mention of a dagger. For god's sake people buy specialty kitchen knives & chef's knives online all the time, this has to be possible to send them back too.

i cant remember what was on the label , it was a couple of years ago but there was no problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hi Morlar,

I have both sent and received SA daggers through the normal postal system with no problems whatsoever.

The ones I posted internationally, were carefully wrapped and sent by registered post. Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly what I labeled them as. I have used the term "Antique military collectible - over 60 years old" in the past without any trouble, but I have heard people say not to use the term 'military' or it will draw unwanted attention.
    I have received daggers using the description of "Antique Cutlery" which I suppose is technically true but still vague enough.

Always declare the correct value if you want to claim on the insurance if it does go missing.

Regards - Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Wasn't there something before about customs charging the recipient duty on old swords.I've received most of my bayonets through the post from all sorts of places without hassle however I've never sent one,the Justice department may be able to tell you what can or can't be imported or exported,there is an exemption for collectors on certain types of blades I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

vintage kitchenallia (or what ever it is)
    or the always safe, farming machinery

but seriously even cutlery might do, but with a €400 declaration they might get suspicious

id go with "vintage collectible dagger/millitaria" may as well be honest, xray shows all (do they xray on the way out?), you dont want what happened to that german cross in gold by aussie customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I had heard 'Farming equipment' before (always reminds me of the Bill hicks weapons to Iraq comedy sketch -along with 'machine tools').
    'Auto parts' is another.

I think anything 'military' raises flags, some countries when it says 'Antique' raise compulsory customs/revenue flags too.

The best one I heard so far was 'Wall decoration' :)

Advertisement