Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a small car for €2500...

• 25-05-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Usual story, my brother's fiancée wants to upgrade to a newer car. She currently has a '99 4dr Corsa, 80000 miles, needs a wheel bearing and a bit of work done, she'll be selling it privately for around €1200 or so.

Anyway, she wants to go up a few years, no higher than 1.4 engine, hatchback only, max of €2500. She's looking at an '02 Leon (a Polo in disguise, bad idea), '02 Corsa etc. She doesn't like Fords, but they seem to be her best option in terms of reliability (Focus & Fiesta).

I know at this price she needs to judge each car on merit, but has anyone any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

An almera? I have one got a 02 for 2000. You can get 3 doors cheap enough too. Its accutally hard to get a good car in this price bracket, I had the exact same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you'll get a 307 for that price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd agree on an almera too if she won't look at ford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Leon is based on the Golf not the Polo. I'd avoid any of those VAG 1.4 litre petrol engined cars though as that engine is not very reliable and the gearbox is crap in them.

Another one to look at is the Peugeot 206:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201017197774500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FR

Confab wrote: »
    Anyway, she wants to go up a few years, no higher than 1.4 engine, hatchback only, max of €2500. She's looking at an '02 Leon (a Polo in disguise, bad idea), '02 Corsa etc. She doesn't like Fords, but they seem to be her best option in terms of reliability (Focus & Fiesta).

Am also looking myself, came across this in terms of year this seems an ok deal: http://pitch.ie/0/posts/3-Motors/16-Cars/1137-Nissan-Almera-2002-5Dr-Hatchback-1-5L-Petrol-.html, although may be wise to go to a decent dealer - I've registered with a local one, and he's letting me know when anything comes up - my ideal is a polo, but they seem to get snapped up pretty quickly.

Let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

FR wrote: »
    I've registered with a local one, and he's letting me know when anything comes up

would you not just keep an eye on carzone and donedeal etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

punto mk2b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FR

steve06 wrote: »
    would you not just keep an eye on carzone and donedeal etc?

I guess it's just more hassle travelling to and from, rather then getting it from somewhere local. Time is a problem for me at the moment!

Advertisement