Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPDATE! Missing mother 'may have fled UK' (to Ireland)

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Article in Yahoo! news:
    An alcoholic mother who snatched her four-year-old twins from social workers may have fled the country, a judge has said. Skip related content

Tamara Dyson, 37, snatched the twins, Vixen Rae and Billy Blu Francis, for the second time in a week, the judge sitting at Lincoln County Court said.

The children were taken from Roseberry Avenue Contact Centre in Skegness on Thursday afternoon and have not been seen since.

It is believed they may have been taken to the Republic of Ireland, Judge Heather Swindells said.

Judge Swindells said: "Both Vixen and Billy were in foster care because of concerns about Tamara Dyson's ability to look after them, particularly as she has a chronic and dangerous alcohol problem.

"This is the second time in a week Tamara Dyson has removed the children from contact. It's the view of the court that the children are at serious risk of harm. Despite the best efforts of the police since Thursday the children have still not been found and there are concerns that Tamara and the children are no longer in the country."

Because of concerns about the children, Judge Swindells took the unusual step of issuing an order under the Children Act 1989 allowing the care proceedings in the case to be reported. Such proceedings cannot normally be reported.

The children's natural father, 31-year-old Billy Francis, an electrician from Greenwich, London, pleaded for the public's help to find the youngsters.

He said: "I have been having contact with the children on a regular basis every week which has been going well.

"I last saw them on the morning of May 20 and I was shocked to be told later that afternoon that they had been taken by their mother. This was the second time that she had done this. On Monday she had taken them without consent. I am livid that this has happened with social services while under their care and responsibility."

Here's hoping they're all found soon!

Shocking that the mother grabbed them twice in a week from supposed "care". Worrying that the judge invoked the 1989 Act to go public "because of concerns about the children".

I wonder will pictures of the mum and/or kids be released? Surely a public search could be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Wow i hope they are all found safe!!

Its totally sad when families are in despair like this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

I wonder will pictures of the mum and/or kids be released? Surely a public search could be done?

Article with picture of missing kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Twins-Vixen-Rae-and-Billy-006.jpg

Article here:
    The father of two children snatched by their mother is appealing for the public's help to trace them, amid fears she may have fled Britain.

Tamara Dyson, 37, took the four-year-old twins, Vixen Rae and Billy Blu Francis, from a contact centre in Skegness, Lincolnshire on Thursday afternoon and they have not been seen since.

The children were "at serious risk of harm", a judge sitting at Lincoln county court said, adding that they may have been taken to the Ireland Republic. Dyson had an alcohol problem, judge Heather Swindells said.

"Both Vixen and Billy were in foster care because of concerns about Tamara Dyson's ability to look after them, particularly as she has a chronic and dangerous alcohol problem," she said.

"This is the second time in a week Tamara Dyson has removed the children from contact. It's the view of the court that the children are at serious risk of harm.

"Despite the best efforts of the police since Thursday the children have still not been found and there are concerns that Tamara and the children are no longer in the country."

Because of concerns about the children, the judge took the unusual step of issuing an order under the Children Act 1989 to allow the care proceedings in the case to be reported.

The twins' father, Billy Francis, 31, pleaded for the public's help to find the youngsters.

"I have been having contact with the children on a regular basis every week which has been going well.

"I last saw them on the morning of May 20 and I was shocked to be told later that afternoon that they had been taken by their mother.

"This was the second time that she had done this. On Monday she had taken them without consent. I am livid that this has happened with social services while under their care and responsibility."

The children were taken from Roseberry Avenue contact centre in Skegness. They were in foster care while their mother in the area.

Francis, of London, said he met Dyson 10 years ago and they had the twins in 2006. They separated two years later.

He said that when the children first went missing last week, he called every number in his phone book before tracking Dyson down to the home of a 90-year-old retired schoolteacher in Skegness.

He said social services told him Dyson took the children while staff were making a cup of coffee.

He said of Dyson: "She's a very distinctive woman and she has two kids with blue eyes and blonde hair with her. The kids are my life. I love them to death, I can't describe it any other way. I just haven't got a clue where they have gone."

Detectives at Lincolnshire police said they believed Dyson and the children left the contact centre on Roseberry Avenue on foot but might have got into a car nearby.

"This may not have appeared out of the ordinary but we are anxious for anyone who was in that area of Skegness at the time to come forward and contact us," police said in a statement.

Detective Inspector Andy Wardell said: "This information does not alter the police investigation as our paramount objective has always been the safe return of the children.

"Consideration needs to be given to Tamara Dyson's character and the direction this may take the inquiry. However, we can confirm that no information has been received to suggest the children have suffered any current harm.

"The risk to the children and to Tamara remains high and inquiries involving liaison with other police forces and partner agencies continue."

From Yahoo:
    Two children snatched from social services by their alcoholic mother have been found safe and well, police have said.

Police recovered twins Billy Blu and Vixen Rae Francis from a car at a petrol station near Newark-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire at around midnight after a "police operation".

Sky's north of England correspondent David Crabtree said: "Officers were called to a petrol station on the A16, about 60 miles from where the children were taken.

"When the twins were found in the back of the car, they were perfectly safe and well.

"But police don't know where the children had been since they were abducted six days ago, or where they were being taken to."

The four-year-olds disappeared with their mother Tamara Dyson, 37, last Thursday from a care centre in Skegness.

A 37-year-old woman from Skegness and a 61-year-old man from Mansfield were arrested on suspicion of kidnap and are being questioned by Lincolnshire Police.

The children have been placed in the protective custody of Lincolnshire children's services.

Social workers were supposed to be monitoring a visit from their grandmother when the toddlers were taken.

But Ms Dyson managed to sneak in and seize them after the staff became distracted while making a cup of coffee.

A judge sitting at Lincoln County Court said it was the second time in a week Ms Dyson had taken the children from social services.

She had snatched the twins from the same contact centre last Monday during a supervised visit but was tracked down and an interim care order put in place.

"Both Vixen and Billy were in foster care because of concerns about Tamara Dyson's ability to look after them, particularly as she has a chronic and dangerous alcohol problem," judge Heather Swindells said.

Police initially gave a long list of where the children might be, including Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Cumbria but said they did not have a "solid idea" of where Ms Dyson was.

Last night, the twins' father Billy Francis told Sky News he was "livid" about social services' handling of the case.

He added: "I was absolutely devastated when I heard the news. It is horrendous, unreal. I am very worried about their safety."

Ms Dyson's 16-year-old daughter from a previous relationship said her mother was scheduled to have a meeting today to see whether she could look after the twins on a permanent basis.

Olympia Dyson said: "The social workers were saying there was a slim chance of getting the twins back and she felt desperate because there was nothing she had done to make that happen.

"She's just desperate for us all to be a family again."

:: Detectives in Skegness are due to hold a news conference at around 3pm today, which will be aired live on Sky News.

Thank God they're back:). I'd say her previous snatching of the twins really didn't help her case. I'd imagine the older gentleman with her was the maternal grandfather---you'd think he'd have more sense!

As for the social care workers--they had no right telling her she had a slim chance of getting her twins back. That may well have tipped her over the edge. For all we know she could have been legally granted custody or at the very least staggered access over time. Now what'll happen?

It's all very sad. Here's hoping everything works out for the best for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Poor kids; an alchoholic mother and a father who only sees them once a week.
    I wonder did the father apply for custody of the children if he's so concerned. If he's been involved in their lives, I can't see how social services would stop him taking them. Very strange....
    I hope the Mom can resolve her drinking problem for the kids sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Remigius

Yes, poor kids is right, in a case like this we have little in the way of real facts but plenty of questions. Is it possible the mother's drinking problem is caused or exacerbated by not being with her children?

Why is there no account of the children screaming or protesting when they were taken from the centre. Is it possible they were happy to be going with their mother?

All the initial fears for their safety, seized on by the media, proved groundless as the report says that when the children were found they were both safe and well.

Like Splendour I wonder about the father. A lot of questions spring to mind there.

Didn't get the "Thank God they're back:)" sentiment though. Back where? With Lincolnshire Children's Services? With a bunch of strangers? That seems to me to be very sad. Children need security and safety but that may not be the safety and security envisaged by some people ie four strong walls and a group of adults with degrees in social services who are there simply because they're paid to be. Besides, the track record for children in the care of social services is not something to inspire confidence right now.

A sad tale indeed.

Remigius wrote: »
    Is it possible the mother's drinking problem is caused or exacerbated by not being with her children?

She wasn't with her children because of her drinking problem, which the judge stated was "chronic and dangerous." One wonders about the "dangerous" part---did she bring them close to harm?

There are many questions to be answered.
    • Who was the 61 year old? A maternal relation? Uncle/father?
    • Where were they intending to hide?
    • Was the children's father involved in the illegal kidnapping?
    • How did the mother snatch them twice in one week?
    Very odd altogether. I wonder will we hear more?:confused:

Advertisement