Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 rem or .22-250 or .243

Options
  • 25-05-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone give me a bit of direction here... I have always used shotguns-12G,and small calibre .22 and .17HMR. I am going to move to a bigger rifle and have been thinking about the .223 or .22-250, I know that there is a substantial cost difference between the rounds of .223 rem (5.56mm NATO)-€16.50/20 box and the .22-250-€22/20 box.

I know the .22-250 has a flatter trajectory but if I am getting a larger calibre would the .243 be better as it can shoot both fox and deer (I think). I have no intention at this monent to start stalking but some day I would like to try it and not have to purchase another rifle again.

I am going to keep the .17HMR for Bunny Bashing and handy shooting but now is it .22-250 or .223 rem or .243..

All opinion great or small would be welcome.

Regards
    murphyc106

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know my Super wouldn't license a .243 for foxes, you needed a deer license in order to get a .243
    loaded with 58g hornady V-max the .243 is very effective on fox not to mention flat shooting.
    But I guess the fact that it is deer legal makes it a step up in the eyes of the super.
    If you just intend to shoot foxes the .223 would be the best.
    If you want to stalk deer and shoot foxes a .243 would be the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you're looking for the .243 you might be asked to supply a deer hunting licence from the NPWS. You might not though if you run it past your super. All are excellent choices though. 58gr Hornady V-Max out of a .243 is a serious fox round, as is a 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. If I wanted a rifle for foxes with a view to using it on deer later, the .243 is your man. See what your super says. For a fox only gun, hard to argue with either the .223 or the .22-250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

If i was to pick between the .223 and the 22-250, It would have to be the 22-250 hands down , Now the only down side to the 22-250 over the .223 is price of rounds, The noise and also the kick with out a can;)
    Now if you were in the future you were going to think then the .243 would be the round of choice.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

.308 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

For deer and foxes only one winner out of the three calibres your thinking of ..243 all the way ;).Best of luck which ever one you decide on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

or a 220 swift at the super price of only €36 per box of 20 :eek: and rising
    On a serious note, I'd be with the rest of the lads and pointing you towards a .243, make the extra effort and get it for deer aswell whilst your at it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If I wanted mostly fox shooting and the odd deer and i was only to have one rifle then .243 as you have the option of a coillte letting as they will not let people hunt deer under a .240 cal

.243 is a fantastic round, for a compromise, If you are a member of a rifle range like MNSCI you may get a .243 on the strength of being a member for shooting targets and foxes.
    It depends on your Sup and where you live.

If you are not into deer or not that bothered then .223 is the best round for price related to accuracy
    The final decision is yours as only you know what you want to shoot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭murphyc106

How hard is it to get a deer license and who or how do I contact Coillte to get a license from them... .243 seems the way to go.

murphyc106 wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a deer license and who or how do I contact Coillte to get a license from them... .243 seems the way to go.

Deer licence hardest part is getting permissions, I have in excess of 1000 acres but I put 390 acres permission on the form. Needs to be a viable population.

Licence is free, if there is only a few or none shooting deer on private land no issue, Coillte is a letting or lease gig which is the domain of the really rich or syndicates/clubs

Private land if you can get some is the way to go:D

Can anyone reccommend a decent make of a .223 or a .243.. Dont want another BRNO as I have a .17HMR by them and havent heard anything good about them in a large calibre.

• Advertisement

Can anyone reccommend a decent make of a .223 or a .243.. Dont want another BRNO as I have a .17HMR by them and havent heard anything good about them in a large calibre.

Remington , Tikka , Anschutz have a new .223 out
    Ruger will all be around 750-1450 €~ new but you should pick up a sec9ond hand remmy or tikka fairly reasonable.

Lots here shoot CZ in .223 and they are ok. Cheaper option but it really depends on money to spend!

Deer licence hardest part is getting permissions, I have in excess of 1000 acres but I put 390 acres permission on the form. Needs to be a viable population.

Licence is free, if there is only a few or none shooting deer on private land no issue, Coillte is a letting or lease gig which is the domain of the really rich or syndicates/clubs

Private land if you can get some is the way to go:D

So I need to get a farmer so... I dont suppose any of those acres are around the South East...:)

So I need to get a farmer so... I dont suppose any of those acres are around the South East...:)

You want to talk to Tomcat CliveJ or Dwighet I think.

I'm a midlands man :D:D:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvywb9h83dY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

start door knocking Murph.....
    My first year was on private land and invites from mates who have been at it a long while..The way I see it private land is the way to go for starting out as you can go at your own leisure,both morning or dusk and anytime during the week.Some coillte lettings you are restricted to just week end morning stalks...so use your private land as a foundation and learn as much as you can.THen go for a letting .If you have a buddy thats into stalking,Make him your best buddy;)...Learn from him..
    Dont be afraid to ask as you will be supprised at how many land owners will be delighted to have you on there land.
    Get your self some insurance as that helps when asking for permission...Every hunter should have insurance.( show the farmer you have it) and if you get permission a bottle of single malt and leg of ham at xmas for the farmer is a small price to pay....

You wont go wrong with a 243....
    You have a long way ahead of ya but its a fantastic pastime to have and you will meet some characters on the way...

All the best
    Dwighet

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

i wanted to get a full bore for foxes with the intension of deer hunting in the future; exactly like yoursef, but my fire arms officer told me that the super wouldnt sign off on it for vermin so i went out and got my deer hunting permit.........best move ive ever done hunting wise:D i went for a .308 but i wanted it mainly for deer (and hopefully boar in a few years time) and the odd fox but if its the opposite way around the .243 is the way to go. best of luck
    ps i went for remington.........great prices out there for them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi Murph
    As all have said here if your going for the deer at anytime in the future then go for the 243. I think if you push for it with your Super you'll get it. Just make sure you have at the very least good land permissions for shooting foxes on or else your at nothing.
    I had the very good fortune to have had an experienced shooter take me under his wing and to take me stalking. From there I got my own gun a .308 (7 months for the license to come thru) and the rest is history.

Try knocking in farmers door, as Dwighet has said, for your own private permissons it does work but its hard work and insurance is a must. In fact I have just got my Country Side Aliance insurance thru last week for the stalking as well as the same insurance that comes with the shooting range membership.

My signiture photo below was taken on my first day out stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

if your in a gun club youll be insured under the nargc. i got my lisance back in under a week, so if you get a deer application off soon and get a permit you could be out stalking as well as foxing before you know it

Would agree with Doyle61 , The .243 is a great round for varmint to medium size game , Get your homework done and get your application in and soon as you can, :D

Thanks Lads...Looks the .243 is the only way to go...Have to start knocking on doors around Mount Leinster so, I believe there is a bit of a deer problem there- or else its off to Tipp, and a Kilkenny man roaming the hills of Tipperary with a rifle in the middle of Hurling season could only lead to a few "friendly" fire issues.....:D:D:D

In a serious note- has anyone heard of deer issues around Mount Leinster, I heard Mary White (local Green TD) complaining a while back but not heard anything since.

Best of luck and happy hunting ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement