Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'home-grown' rule and your club

• 25-05-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought this would be a good thread to start to see the state of clubs.

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan and we have currently 15 players who are ineligible for the 8 qualifying spots in the 25 man squad. We have three players who seen a lot of time last season who are eligible outside the 25 man squad too and about 7 players in total who have played in the Premier League who are available outside the 25 man squad.

Just wondering what the situation is with other clubs?

Its going to bring more youth to the Premier League for sure with the best under 21 players now very valuable commodities as they can be used outside the 25. It also adds some value to those who qualify for the 8 necessary in the 25 man squad.

Its interesting to know this stuff as it is going to have a major impact on transfers as I'm sure there are clubs who are very close to their full capacity of 17 ineligible players. Outside of Man City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, possibly Villa and maybe United I can't see clubs carrying players who won't be eligible to play between transfer windows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

based on the current squad. United have 26 senior players that would have to be registered (I know the limit is 25) with either 11 or 12 of them being home grown. United are fairly well off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Think Arsenal have something like 22 senior players to register and 13/14 homegrown at the moment so no problems there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lads its not about how many are eligible as much as how many are not eligible.

based on the current squad. United have 26 senior players that would have to be registered (I know the limit is 25) with either 11 or 12 of them being home grown. United are fairly well off.
    I think with United they only have 11 that are not homegrown so they are in great shape.

One player that greatly confuses me with this new rule is Owen Hargreaves, he doesn't qualify under the homegrown rule but he is an England International.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think with United they only have 11 that are not homegrown so they are in great shape.

Van der Sar
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Nani
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Berbatov
    Owen
    Kuszczak
    Park
    Valencia
    Anderson

is 14 unless I'm mistaken?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

You seem to be putting more influence on the home-grown bit then the 25 man limit. I think most clubs will be able to make up the home-grown eligibility, but the limit on players over the age of 21 will make more of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Van der Sar
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Nani
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Berbatov
    Owen
    Kuszczak
    Park
    Valencia
    Anderson

Rooney, Ferdinand and Carrick are all home-grown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rooney, Ferdinand and Carrick are all home-grown.

Ahhh I thought it was registered with the club for 36 months prior to turning 21, not the association.

Makes it pretty handy so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Van der Sar
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Nani
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Berbatov
    Owen
    Kuszczak
    Park
    Valencia
    Anderson

"The definition of home grown is trained for three years under the age of 21 by somebody in the English and Welsh professional system.

Van der Sar
    Vidic
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Nani
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Berbatov
    Owen
    Kuszczak
    Park
    Valencia
    Anderson

Why wouldn't Ferdinand, Rooney, Owen and Carrick be home-grown? They just have to have been at any english or welsh club for 3 years before they turn 21, doesn't have to be the club they're currently playing for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

So, is it only 17 non-home grown players allowed?

Liverpool have:

Reina
    Cavalieri
    Agger
    Skrtel
    Kygriakos
    Mascherano
    Lucas
    Aquilani
    Babel
    Benayoun
    Kuyt
    Maxi
    Torres

giving us 13 ineligible as home-grown (not sure about Babel?), and plenty of breathing space to bring in a couple more.

N'Gog
    Pacheco
    Kelly
    Shelvey
    Insua
    Gerrard
    Carragher
    Johnson
    Ayala

9 players who could well get first team action next season who are all eligible

In other words, i don't think this rule is going to affect anyone. And all it's going to encourage is the increased poaching of young kids from abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

if they are aged 21 does that mean they are under 21? As that would make NGog and Insua elligible. But having not played for 3 years before 21, NGog anyway, possiby insua, does that make them inelligible for 2011/12?

101001 wrote: »
    if they are aged 21 does that mean they are under 21? As that would make NGog and Insua elligible. But having not played for 3 years before 21, NGog anyway, possiby insua, does that make them inelligible for 2011/12?
    Anybody who turns 21 in the new season is elligible but anybody who turned 21 before then is not eligible.

So lets say a player turned 21 on the 31st April 2010 he will not be eligible as under age.

I don't know the actual date that the 2010/2011 season begins, but anybody who turns 21 on or after that date is eligible as under 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

101001 wrote: »

No, if they are 21 or under on the 31st August they do not have to be registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

on the premier league website it said anyone who turned 21 this year. seems kinda odd but it would mean both Insua and Dave would be part of unlimiteds for pool. can't post link. for Liverpool there should be no major probs. babel will be part of the 17 ineligibles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Villa are screwed. :D

Marshall

Young
    Davies
    Collins----Warnock
    Young
    Milner
    Delph
    Downing

Agbonlahor----Heskey

Parish
    Shorey
    Clarke
    Reo-Coker
    Sidwell
    Albrighton
    Delfouneso

Edit: no need for that now momento mori answered that question... obviously took me 7 minutes to word it... ooops.

one more thing can a player be elligible at 21 then the next season be inelligible because he's not there 36 months?

When does the 36 months apply from.... sign date to birt date or sign date to end of last elligible season. Read the FIFA and Uefa rulings the seem to be differernt. Need to find the FA ruling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

can't post the linkbut go to the premier league website and they have a fairly detailed article on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Everton are comfortable. Home Grown are:

Carlo Nash
    Iain Turner
    John Ruddy
    Tony Hibbert
    Leighton Baines
    Phil Jagelka
    Tim Cahill
    Phil Neville
    Dan Gosling
    Leon Osman
    Victor Anichebe
    James Vaughan

The Seventeen

Tim Howard
    Josept Yobo
    Silvan Distin
    John Heitinga
    Seamus Coleman possibly
    Diniyar Bilyaletdinov
    Mikel Arteta
    Steven Pienaar
    Marouane Fellaini
    Anton Peterlin
    Louis Saha
    Yakubu

U-21 so exempt

Shane Duffy
    Shkodran Mustafi
    Jack Rodwell
    James Wallace
    Kieran Agard
    Jose Baxter
    Cody Arnoux

tracked down that article http://www.premierleague.com/page/AcademicsPL/0,,12306~1804959,00.html

answered my question too
    of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21).‬‪

• Advertisement
Advertisement