Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hobbyists - How much do you spend on gear?

• 25-05-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

No not interested in the drug habits of members:D
    I'd like to ask the hobbyists here how much they spend on their gear?
    I was talking to some other amateurs recently and was shocked at the amount being spent on lenses etc. By the time I spend on mortgage kids etc. there's not a whole lot left. Even so I've managed to spend around 1500 euros in last five years and was wondering how this compares ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I reckon we are in the same or at least similar boat, I have two kids, mortgage etc. If I want to upgrade it's generally through saving/birthday christmas/selling old kit. Don't think I've probably spent about 700-800 in last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As little as possible but where needs be I'll save or sell something I don't really need. Just recently I spent 1K on a new camera as my old one was giving problems. As a result I'll sell my DVDs (350 movies) to pay for it as I'd rather have a working camera than a load of movies I'll watch occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I'm nearer the 3.5k mark in 4 years too- if you included the new computer.
    That said, I don't drink or smoke - so I get to save a loada money under the bed - away from prying...hands. And I sold a loada guitar & nursing stuff for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In my first year, I think I spent about 5k. Bought Canon 20D, 24-70mm f/2.8 L, 70-200mm f/4, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and EX580 flash. Bought a few other bits too.

Of course, then I had no mortgage, no wife, and all the money to spend on myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

My simple and quick answer: More than I should and less that I want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So far I spent €160 on my first camera that was robbed 2 months later (:mad: I'm still not over that), then €100 for my current camera off my Dad, €20 on a lens, €20 on a bag, €30 on a tripod (yay for getting to split some gear with my girlfriend!). Oh, and €3.50 for a cable release off ebay. :p

So all in all, not a huge amount, really, but then I'm a student and have no money for anything.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

It started off in the first few years with the camera and then added a couple of lens about €1k in total.

Started to get a more and more paid jobs in the last 6 months so I've stumped up for better gear when the entry level stuff wasn't cutting it anymore and I didn't have confidence in it. I still can't see the end of the list of must haves :eek:

Sometimes it the stuff thats not attached to the camera can adds hugely to the cost as well, such as

New PC/Monitor/Laptop
    Lightroom (a must have!)
    External Storage and backup.

Just can't bring myself to write down the total amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

zoegh wrote: »

So all in all, not a huge amount, really, but then I'm a student and have no money for anything.

:rolleyes:
    Not to worry - Soon you'll be a mortgage holder with kids and have loads no money for anything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

oh god i cant answer this, my wife might be reading!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

About 1500 in or about - similar to previous posters Ive shifted other gear :eek:(equipment) to buy my stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Over €10k in 1 year, then I had a job, delighted I was so immature and hasty in those 12 months. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

about 2k over the last 3 years.

Currently living in hope that I'll some day be able to afford a 5D mk2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

stcstc wrote: »
    oh god i cant answer this, my wife might be reading!!!

A very VERY wise man!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Jeysis lads, find yourself some wimmin that appreciate photography (and use the same lens mount) and save yourself some heartbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Oh dear, hadn't sat down and thought about this until now. Just totted it up -- in the last three years, roughly €3500. This is going from nothing up to what I have now, and I'm pretty happy with my kit at the moment, so I don't envisage too much more in the near future (well, maybe some filters and small bits and pieces :)).

I'm gainfully employed and without kids or mortgage, which might go some way towards explaining it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

156 quid in the last 4 years.

6 quid- Yashica fx + ziess 50mm (lost in Paris)
    100 quid- Canon A1 + 2 primes and a zoom (lost somewhere between Camden St. and George's St.
    20 quid- Minolta (still have that!)
    30 quid- ilford Sportsman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've spent around €800 so far, I'd like to spend more but I don't have the money unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i did

but when i told her she could do better with her shots etc, trying to be helpful, she got the hump and went of the whole photo idea, he he

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Ive spent 1400 since April 2008.inc filters,tripod and bits. No kids or mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Spent around 2k a few years ago with the 30D was seen as new.
    Sold and bought various lens's since then but nothing major.

Will probably spend the same amount again this year on a new
    body and some L glass as my current set up is driving me insane
    in low light conditions...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

elven wrote: »
    Jeysis lads, find yourself some wimmin that appreciate photography (and use the same lens mount) and save yourself some heartbreak.

Em, I think mrs dakar would get a bit annoyed....

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about €1300 on the digital kit, and about €2k on the film gear, all within the last ten years.

Bought my first DSLR last year. Have spent about €1,500 or thereabouts since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Well...

* Digital camera, 2 lenses, a bag I never use, a tripod
    * 5 or so film camera's that I bought cheaply + money to get them serviced + bought film + haven't set up darkroom yet so spend quite a few bob on developping.
    * stuff of the rip-off Lomo crowd - camera, ringflash, fish-eye etc
    * and the real bad money eating Polaroid hobby - got 3 new cameras + about 100 sheets of film at 3€/picture...

...in 1 1/2 year.... just a quick guess (I réally do not want to know the correct numbers!) I'd say between 1.5 and 2 grand.

Advertisement