Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back on tuition fees

• 25-05-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Afternoon All

I paid fees in 2009 for ACCA course which ran August - December

In the past (for all the ACCA exams Ive done over the years) I've simply just sent in the receipt to revenue post year end and then received a cheque after year end for 20% of the invoice.

Now I did this for my 2009 course and have gotten a letter back saying it must be a course >2 years & that theres no monies due.

But in their list: -
    Part-time undergraduate courses in public and private colleges (PDF, 237KB)

They have the course for ACCA.

No ACCA course is at least 2 years old, so I cant see why its approved in this, but then rejected on first principles.

I can see on the main page
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html
    that they have this condition about 2 years, but ive been claiming for years for my ACCA exams.

2 questions: -
    Should I ring and say that I am due my 2009 cheque on the basis that all prior years were paid?

But if I do this, whats the likeliehood of them saying that none of the years were eligible resulting in a clawback from me?

Thanks in advance.

P
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Afternoon All

I paid fees in 2009 for ACCA course which ran August - December

In the past (for all the ACCA exams Ive done over the years) I've simply just sent in the receipt to revenue post year end and then received a cheque after year end for 20% of the invoice.

Now I did this for my 2009 course and have gotten a letter back saying it must be a course >2 years & that theres no monies due.

But in their list: -
    Part-time undergraduate courses in public and private colleges (PDF, 237KB)

They have the course for ACCA.

No ACCA course is at least 2 years old, so I cant see why its approved in this, but then rejected on first principles.

I can see on the main page
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html
    that they have this condition about 2 years, but ive been claiming for years for my ACCA exams.

2 questions: -
    Should I ring and say that I am due my 2009 cheque on the basis that all prior years were paid?

But if I do this, whats the likeliehood of them saying that none of the years were eligible resulting in a clawback from me?

Thanks in advance.

P
    Maybe ring and point out the courses are over 2 Academic years.

The fact you have been given relief previously does not entitle you to relief now, or in the future. Revenue would likely say that as it was given mistakenly, they may not take it back, but will also give no further relief either.

The ACCA course should qualify though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The course qualifies, I've ran it through for clients before.

It's listed on the Revenue website as a recognised academic body for the purposes of the relief ffs.

Probably some over zealous CO.

Reply in writing that the course is over two years and contest it.

Advertisement