Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting deposit back

Options
  • 25-05-2010 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

ok so bit a story

im a student

my rent is 232.50 a month

my deposit was 500euro

i thought i had paid my last months rent already but apparently not and the direct debit went threw on friday but was rejected cause of insufficient funds

i have moved out of the house already and my lease is up 31st of may. my land lord told me it will take time to inspect the house make sure bills are paid etc and i have heard from other people it can take months to get the deposit back

now what i want to do is arrange to meet him at the house after i clean it with a cheque for the last months rent, have him inspect the house and have him ring the bill peope to make sure all bills are paid and then either get my deposit back off him immedietely or within the week

OR tell him to take the last months rent out of the deposit with the late fee for the direct debit being cancelled and then give me the rest there and then or within the week

is any of the above unreasonable? is there i anything i can do if he simply refuses and it takes a month or two months to get my deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It all depends on your landlord. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for your landlord to inspect the property and check up on bills.

Becareful not to dictate too much or you'll annoy the landlord, they're entitled to take a reasonable time to inspect it and not have to do so on your terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

and as far as paying the last rent by cheque or having him take it out of the deposit?

I'd go with the cheque. Your landlord would probably then wait until the cheque is cashed before giving back any deposit. You're not entitled to use your deposit as your last months rent. But it all depends on your landlord, he could be happy to take it out of the deposit. You'll have to ask.

bit of an update on this one

all bills and rent has been paid for the last 6/8 weeks landlord has stopped answering his phone and no response to emails

still no deposit back, any ideas on what i can do next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Vladidim

PeakOutput wrote: »

all bills and rent has been paid for the last 6/8 weeks landlord has stopped answering his phone and no response to emails

Surprise, surprise - an Irish landlord keeping a deposit unreasonably yet again. Have to laugh at an earlier post advising you to be careful not to "annoy" the landlord also. Maybe you annoyed him by rightfully asking for your money back.

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »

Contact the PRTB to lodge a dispute of deposit retention

www.prtb.ie
    Vladidim wrote: »
    Surprise, surprise - an Irish landlord keeping a deposit unreasonably yet again. Have to laugh at an earlier post advising you to be careful not to "annoy" the landlord also. Maybe you annoyed him by rightfully asking for your money back.

It's impossible to predict how a landlord will behave. The original post was made 5/6 days before the end of the lease, tenant wasn't entitled to a refund of the deposit at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Just curious: did you meet the landlord when he inspected the property and to give them the cheque? Did he make any comments about the condition of the place when you left? Or mention a date for returning the deposit? Or comment on the fact that the last month's rent was late?

Regardless, as Cathoo mentioned, contact the PRTB to lodge a complaint with them. They deal with this kind of situation day-in, day-out, so they'll know what to do. However, I have heard that, depending on where you live, it may take a while to contact them.

Slightly OT, but do you know if your landlord was registered with the PRTB? If not, mentioning to him that you're considering contacting the PRTB about the non returning of your deposit may speed up the process.

convert wrote: »
    Just curious: did you meet the landlord when he inspected the property and to give them the cheque? Did he make any comments about the condition of the place when you left? Or mention a date for returning the deposit? Or comment on the fact that the last month's rent was late?

the day after the lease ended i moved to the states, i knew this was happening obviously and had moved out 7-10 days before this date as had therest of the house, i asked him to meet us sometime during that period to inspect the house, he wouldnt. it took us a couple of weeks to pay the outstanding bills as everyone lives all over the country but that was done and the actual landlords and their 'manager' is now not answering calls from any of us and two of the lads are sending solicitors letters apparently. this landlord owns many many properties around the campus of UL and its a disgrace to treat the students like this imo

Regardless, as Cathoo mentioned, contact the PRTB to lodge a complaint with them. They deal with this kind of situation day-in, day-out, so they'll know what to do. However, I have heard that, depending on where you live, it may take a while to contact them.

i sent him an email this morning ill send another one now giving him 4 days to reply or ill contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. Do you have his home phone number? Do you know roughly where he lives? Look him up using the eircom phone book, get a skype account (or a cheap call card), and ring him twice a day, at 08:00 and 20:00, until he pays. And yes, those times are CET, or whatever timezone you are in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Words fail...... Some landlords.... Once took us four months to get a deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Cathooo wrote: »
    It all depends on your landlord. It shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks for your landlord to inspect the property and check up on bills.

Becareful not to dictate too much or you'll annoy the landlord, they're entitled to take a reasonable time to inspect it and not have to do so on your terms.

Surely the easiest for both parties is to meet up on the move out day,
    Tenant shows the bills are up to date. Landlord does an inspection and then highlights any issues. If theres no issues then swap deposits and keys and both be done with it.

Why would it take 2 weeks to inspect a property that can be done in 30 mins.

omega666 wrote: »
    Surely the easiest for both parties is to meet up on the move out day,
    Tenant shows the bills are up to date. Landlord does an inspection and then highlights any issues. If theres no issues then swap deposits and keys and both be done with it.

Why would it take 2 weeks to inspect a property that can be done in 30 mins.

Absolutely, that would definitely be the ideal situation! It doesn't always work out like that though.

Advertisement