Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long time driver, first time cyclist rant....

• 25-05-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Holy crap the cycle paths are terrible.

I have ranted and raved about cyclists who take up the road and stop motorists from overtaking but recently I learnt part of the reason why....

I went into work last week through stillorgan and into town on the cycle path, I may aswell have been on a country lane. The following night I was on the way home in the rain when I went into the three large pot holes at the UCD bus stop. I nearly came off the bike but apart from that my tyre burst immediately.

I had never really noticed but always assumed that the bike paths were in good condition, they are not at all, in fact a lot of the paths from Donnybrook to Stillorgan are a joke.

Anyway, I apologise to the cyclists who had no other choice but to cycle outside these paths and in my way in the past.

To the "Dublin Free Bike" cyclists that use footpaths around Dublin City, go up one way streets the wrong way etc I still hate you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

engrish? wrote: »
    Holy crap the cycle paths are terrible.

I have ranted and raved about cyclists who take up the road and stop motorists from overtaking but recently I learnt part of the reason why....

I went into work last week through stillorgan and into town on the cycle path, I may aswell have been on a country lane. The following night I was on the way home in the rain when I went into the three large pot holes at the UCD bus stop. I nearly came off the bike but apart from that my tyre burst immediately.

I had never really noticed but always assumed that the bike paths were in good condition, they are not at all, in fact a lot of the paths from Donnybrook to Stillorgan are a joke.

Anyway, I apologise to the cyclists who had no other choice but to cycle outside these paths and in my way in the past.

To the "Dublin Free Bike" cyclists that use footpaths around Dublin City, go up one way streets the wrong way etc I still hate you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling in Dublin and why no one uses cycle lanes/paths where possible!

I know most of that route, were you heading south from UCD? Those holes have been like that for years, made worse over the winter. Use the bus lane, which thankfully you often have to use to get around the buses.

It really is important to look ahead, I ran over so much broken glass this morning through Sandyford it's amazing I didn't get a puncture (watch out for this, broken bottles are a common sight!).

Donnybrook is ok now, they are on road cycle lanes but once you pass RTE it becomes awful. Also watch out for the new petrol station on the N11, NO ONE yields to you EVER! They should put a sign reminding people to yield, I have nearly been pushed sideways into the bus lane by people eager to get back on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

On a positive note, they have resurfaced the bus lane from Whitescross to Foxrock church - like a sheet of glass at the moment.

Also resurfaced the road along by the Luas in Sandyford - The junction from Blackthorn road on to Blackthorn Ave has been a mess for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I know most of that route, were you heading south from UCD? Those holes have been like that for years, made worse over the winter. Use the bus lane, which thankfully you often have to use to get around the buses.

Yup, the worst part was it was lashing rain and I was enjoying the cycle - it was warm, raining and I was in the mood to keep going! Had to walk the bike home as I had a bag on my back which I couldnt run with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

On a positive note, they have resurfaced the bus lane from Whitescross to Foxrock church - like a sheet of glass at the moment.

its brill i use it instead of the cycle path as its in terrible condition is broken up in bits and more since they dug up the road and left bits rubble all over it and destroyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP we need to use you in a billboard ad...
    Holy crap the cycle paths are terrible

This rider has recieved a gratuity for this ad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

@engrish?, wait till you experience the pleasure of Dublin Bus drivers passing you with millimetres to spare to "teach you a lesson". These guardians of the law are keen that cyclists use the "perfectly good" cycle lane rather than the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

engrish? wrote: »

Fair play for being open minded enough to recognise the problem, and please convey your experiences to other people that you know that don't (yet) cycle. Coming from "cyclists" any such views can tend to be dismissed as nonsense and poor excuses for being "in the way", but if you've only just started cycling your views might still be respected by the hardened drivers around you who might still consider you not entirely lost to the hippy dark side :)
    engrish? wrote:

Amen!

Advertisement