Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Forum

Options
  • 25-05-2010 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

Certain moderators on the dental forum constantly use their modships to push their own agenda. They constantly attempt to discredit anything that might harm their level of business.

Whether it's scaremongering people from using foreign dentists to discrediting treatments or procedures that they themselves can't offer.

Also, they will attempt to discredit posters who have a different opinion. They will either attempt to discredit them based on their post count, or else, the "I am a dentist, you're not" line.

I don't need to be a dentist to see blatant impartiality and promotion of self-interest from a mile off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Do you have examples? Have you discussed this with the mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am sure this thread has nothing to do with your recent ban from the forum too

Thread should be in helpdesk

I am sure this thread has nothing to do with your recent ban from the forum too

Thread should be in helpdesk

Being banned from a forum, does not preclude somebody from starting a feedback thread. Hey, maybe the guy/gal accepts that the ban was warranted?

Maybe you should step back from knocking the thread before you find out what the actual issue is? Maybe the OP is just looking for clarification on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

It has everything to do with my recent ban. You get banned for questioning the modding.

Sorry, I thought this was the place to go for these such issues. Mods, please move this if it's meant to go somewhere else.

It has everything to do with my recent ban. You get banned for questioning the modding.

Sorry, I thought this was the place to go for these such issues. Mods, please move this if it's meant to go somewhere else.

Off to helpdesk so ====>...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Moved from Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Feedback deals with general issues with the site/forums and suggestions for improvements/complaints

Helpdesk deals with complaints about specific issues, like bannings/infractions problems with Mods/users etc

Just so you know though you will be asked if you have followed the dispute resolution procedure so I am posting it here
    Dispute resolution procedure

If you have a problem with a post, thread or a ban from a forum, the first step should be a PM to the moderator in question. If you are not comfortable with PM'ing that particular mod, you can PM the other mods of that forum. You will find the list of the mods at the bottom of the forum in question. If you have been banned from a forum it is still possible to enter it to see who the mods are by logging out of boards.ie first.

If you are not happy with the outcome of the above, then next step is to PM the Category Moderators. They are listed alongside the regular mods.
    Failing that, you can then take it to Help Desk forum where an Admin can become involved and give an opinion on the matter.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Do you have examples? Have you discussed this with the mods?

There are many examples of this. Any thread related to foreign dentistry or related to certain dental procedures, such as, Invisalign...

Feedback deals with general issues with the site/forums and suggestions for improvements/complaints

Helpdesk deals with complaints about specific issues, like bannings/infractions problems with Mods/users etc

Just so you know though you will be asked if you have followed the dispute resolution procedure so I am posting it here

Well I can actually undertsand why I was banned. I suppose my issue is not with my banning itself, but the way in which the forum runs, which I was banned for questioning in a thread related to foreign dentistry. I'm guessing the nail in my coffin was when I posted "I'm not a politician either but I know when they're acting the bollocks too" in relation to the way dentists mod the forum.

I may as well state that I am not a dentist or in anyway related to any dentist or have any other vested interest whatsoever. I don't think I actually know any dentists, other than my own.

I understand that it may be useful to have dentists on here. But I don't understand the need for them to be moderators. Surely they can be valuable contributors without the need to moderate. Maybe someone else could then decide whether these mods are just promoting their own self interests or not and could be impartial.

The most recent thread I can point to is this. "New Information warning risks of Dental Tourism". No other comment or opinion in the OP. Just that.

The thread inevitably turns into a debate about the motives on the mods and results in the mod saying "If I wanted to abuse my power, I would delete these posts and ban people".

Interestingly, that post was deleted along with some others and I got banned.

It should also be noted that there were a number of posts deleted from the linked thread. One in particular was posted by fitxgeme where they attempted to discredit another poster on their post count. This has been replaced with a friendly "Welcome to boards by the way" message from fitzgeme instead :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I banned you from the forum for multiple posts giving out about the moderators of the forum. I warned you this was against forum rules. You then proceeded after a warning to call me a bollocks...the ban stands.

Re the agenda....when an advice thread is started, dont blame us if the advice from the irish dentists who kindly give their opinions for free on the site is not to your tastes you are free to ignore it. There is no conspiracy.

Your post history on dental issues is very poor also, you seem to have a real problem with the mods on several threads. You also muppetcheck match with another poster banned from DI.

fitzgeme DI moderator.

I banned you from the forum for multiple posts giving out about the moderators of the forum. I warned you this was against forum rules. You then proceeded after a warning to call me a bollocks...the ban stands.

Re the agenda....when an advice thread is started, dont blame us if the advice from the irish dentists who kindly give their opinions for free on the site is not to your tastes you are free to ignore it. There is no conspiracy.

Your post history on dental issues is very poor also, you seem to have a real problem with the mods on several threads. You also muppetcheck match with another poster banned from DI.

Violet Putrid Camel DI moderator.

You can attempt to re-write history if you like by lying here, deleting and editing all of the posts in the original thread. I am not asking for my ban to be lifted. Did you actually read this thread?

With regards to me ignoring your warning. As I explained to you in the PM that I never got a reply to, you edited a previous post and added the warning to it. I was replying to the previous version of the post and didn't see the warning.

With regards me calling you a bollocks. Well the simple fact of the matter is I didn't. As I said above I was questioning the way the forum is moderated and I was getting the usual "I am a dentist, you're not" type stuff. And I said "I'm not a politician but I know when they're acting the bollocks". Is that me calling you a bollocks? No. It was an excuse for you get rid of me because I dared to question you.

With regards the "muppetcheck" thing. That's as much you calling me a muppet as me calling you a bollocks!?! This is something you you used before to try to discredit me. If I know what this means correctly, it's you accusing me of having multiple accounts. I can be accused of many things on here but that is not one of them. It's another cheapshot that you use to throw your weight around on the Dental Issues forum. If you have evidence of me having multiple accounts, by all means, let us all see the evidence. My conscience is clear on that one.

Anyway, as I said, my issue is not with my banning. My issue is with the moderation of the forum and the impartial way in which advice is given. It is clear to me that the mods are pushing their own agenda by discrediting foreign dentistry, discrediting other dentists procedures and discrediting (and banning) posters who dare to question what's going on. I'm not the first to question it and I won't be the last.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Fully agree with this permanent holiday. Posts well out of order.
    Big_G dental issues mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just to clear up, the muppetcheck is the name of a tool the mods have access to, thats shows posters with similar accounts etc.

The posts are soft deleted for any cmods to have a look at. The edit I made is time marked 5 minutes before your reply. I have had the health science cmods look over this and there is no disagreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If the issue is with the moderation of the Dental Issues forum then this thread has served its purpose. The ban is justified and the mods were right to put it in place. Disagreements with moderators are to be handled by PM or with the category mod, they are not to be aired on thread, dragging it off topic.

Thanks for raising your concerns. I'll brign this to the attnetion of the other admins and we'll have a chat with the mods if it is deemed necessary.

I'll close this thread now as it has already served its purpose (issue being brought to the attention of the admins and the mods having a chance to air their side of the story). The rest of the process will be dealt with using the most suitable channels.

thanks

LoLth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement