Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counsellors or Therapists for those on a Medical Card?

• 25-05-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I've been wondering if there are any mental health services available at low cost or even free of charge for medical card holders.

Since losing my job, I feel as though my life has been in a downward sprial. I've spoken to my GP, and have been "diagnosed", in as far as she's able to, with serious depression. I want to talk to a professional in this field, but I can't afford to. All my GP does is offer me sleeping pills and other prescriptions which I don't want to take without a real diagnosis.

I know there are many places to reach out, like Samaritans, but that doesn't, hasn't and won't help me. I need to speak to a professional about my problems.

Can anyone give me any advice on my options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Fish Bloke wrote: »
    I've been wondering if there are any mental health services available at low cost or even free of charge for medical card holders.

Since losing my job, I feel as though my life has been in a downward sprial. I've spoken to my GP, and have been "diagnosed", in as far as she's able to, with serious depression. I want to talk to a professional in this field, but I can't afford to. All my GP does is offer me sleeping pills and other prescriptions which I don't want to take without a real diagnosis.

I know there are many places to reach out, like Samaritans, but that doesn't, hasn't and won't help me. I need to speak to a professional about my problems.

Can anyone give me any advice on my options?

Where are you based? There are some facilities that offer therapy on a sliding scale, you may end up with somebody training, but they will be well supervised. In some cases the fee may be minimal due to your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Odysseus wrote: »
    Where are you based? There are some facilities that offer therapy on a sliding scale, you may end up with somebody training, but they will be well supervised. In some cases the fee may be minimal due to your circumstances.

That sounds ideal tbh.
    I'm living in Kildare, but I'd be willing to travel a fair distance if I could avail of a service like that.

Here is a list I got when I googled Kildare, http://www.goldenpages.ie/category_Counselling+&+Advisory+Services_County:Kildare-1.html
    I just had a quick look and most seemed privated, however if you research it a bit more, you may find sometning. I would suggest you start with your local directory and that should give you some info. The nearest I can't think near you is Tallaght Village Counselling Service. Hope that gives you a starting place. You could also ask you GP for a referral to the local Psychology Services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

You could call some of the therapists in the vicinity in the golden pages, and see if they operate a sliding scale.. You might get lucky and find someone suitable who is convenient and who offers low cost to a number of clients.

Found this in Naas through google search, says they do low cost counselling:

http://www.personalcounselling.ie/personalcounselling/Main/Low_Cost_Counselling.htm

By the look of it this is operated by trainees from PCI college (should be working under supervision, and is reputable training organisation). You can always call to have a chat about their qualifications and approach if you are concerned. I'm not involved nor do I know anything about this particular centre so can't give you much other info on it.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Fish Bloke

Cheers for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!
    I'll definitely look into those.
    The Naas in particular would be amazing, if it was affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hello! Your FIRST port of call should be the Mental Health Services of the HSE. Everyone seems strangely ignorant of these. GP refers you to Psychiatrist for assessment. Psychiatrist has a HUGE range of options to refer you on to. And EVERYONE working in mental health, no matter what their profession - whether Psychiatric Social Worker or Community Mental Health Nurse or Psychiatric Occupational Therapist - will have building relationships and talking as part of their job description. Many will have additional qualifications as Counsellor or Family Therapist or Art Therapist or whatever.
    And .........................................the WHOLE SYSTEM IS FREE OF CHARGE!

You don't even need to have a medical card!

(So how come nobody seems to know this? Also, unlike physical health, you'll be assessed by the psychiatrist within 3 weeks....)

JC, I did metion you guys, but I have an OT question. I was talking to a clinical psych at a training seminar last week. Anyway we where talking about the differences in our approaches and services, she was amazed when I told her I has a small number of clients that I have been seeing for a number of years. She was telling me she was limited to 8 sessions or their about. Would that be the same for most of the Psych Services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The Psychology Services may be part of the Mental Health Service which contains a huge array of services and professions - all or most of whom would be involved in delivering some form of talking therapy.
    While we try to offer time-limited service, that doesn't mean that we wouldn't all have a few long-term cases on our caseload. But in general, one service builds on another so that when you have got the maximum benefit from one kind of service, you then move on to another which would be more appropriate.

The Psychology Services may be part of the Mental Health Service which contains a huge array of services and professions - all or most of whom would be involved in delivering some form of talking therapy.
    While we try to offer time-limited service, that doesn't mean that we wouldn't all have a few long-term cases on our caseload. But in general, one service builds on another so that when you have got the maximum benefit from one kind of service, you then move on to another which would be more appropriate.

Cheers, I was just wondering what type of scope you had to facilitate a longer engagement if required.

Advertisement