Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic Transmission.

• 25-05-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Is it correct that if I leave my Automatic car not in use for 2/3 months,on starting I should leave the enging running for 10 mins before driving? Otherwise I might seize the engine! Help appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If this is only going to be done every couple of months it mightn't be any harm to just do it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

allblacks wrote: »
    Is it correct that if I leave my Automatic car not in use for 2/3 months,on starting I should leave the enging running for 10 mins before driving? Otherwise I might seize the engine! Help appricated.

Who told you that?
    I mean I'm no expert and therefore I expect to get corrected within a minute, but thats the maddest thing I ever heard.

In order to prevent engine seizure let the engine run for 10 mins?
    Or else even if the gearbox was a brick why would the engine seize?

That makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 allblacks

Somebody told me it to allow the oil to heat (become more liquid) and circulate through the automatic trassmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

automatic transmission has its own oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has ATF - automatic transmission fluid.
    You should check this occasionally, it has its own dipstick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 allblacks

Many thanks for help.Am returning to Spain to-morrow after 3 months,just wanted to check on advice a friend gave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Many thanks for help.Am returning to Spain to-morrow after 3 months,just wanted to check on advice a friend gave me.

Let it warm up sure... but your best driving it gently ratehr than letting is stand still as the air flow is better.

unless the car has had any other engine problems I expect it will be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Ive 2 automatics and never heard anything like that. One thing many people forget to do is change the gearbox oil, as mentioned there is a seperate dipstick for the gearbox, pull up the dipstick and see what colour the oil on it is, it should be red, if its brown or blackish get it changed.
    Both automatics I have had gearbox trouble(according to previous owners) but after changing the oil both are perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Both automatics I have had gearbox trouble(according to previous owners) but after changing the oil and filter both are perfect.
    FYP :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

I think your friend's advice is a little over cautious. No need to leave it standing while running. The auto will pressurise with fluid in seconds and will be fine without running.

Over time, engines can develop leaks if left sitting as seals can creep under the load of shafts etc...but we're talking a LOT of time, in bad environments and generally older cars. 3 months shouldnt be a problem. If I'm away for any length of time, I usually get someone to turn the car over ever couple of weeks for a few mins just to make sure the battery doesnt die and cause the alarm to go off.

You might have a flat battery at worst I'd say, and as it was cold and damp a few months ago, the cabin might have a fragrant musty smell, but that'll clear with the windows down for a bit in the weather we have now.

Your brakes discs are likely to be a nice shade of rust, so a few applications of them should clear them off. Handbrake might bind on as well, but it should pop out as you drive off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...back on topic: I am reading from this that someone has told you that it's because it's automatic that there's an issue. There isn't.

Now, the advice about starting the car and letting it warm up gently isn't bad advice, but there's no connection between engine issue and gearbox type.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement