Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BHAA/Government Services (Cultural Diversity) combined 5 miles

• 25-05-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone have a map / profile of the route for the BHAA 5 mile in Dunboyne next week?

thanks

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 6 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    50%
    geldpad-camMaroonTam 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    50%
    Sklarkersmmoore79runrabbit 3 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

MaroonTam wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone have a map / profile of the route for the BHAA 5 mile in Dunboyne next week?

thanks

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7551096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woddle wrote: »

jaysis woddle. You were quick back then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well, he is back training.

menoscemo wrote: »

:D
    Sure thats was only a training run

gerard65 wrote: »
    Well, he is back training.

And my target is you two oul farts, I read that comment last week, ''pulling a woddle'' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Woddle wrote: »
    And my target is you two oul farts, I read that comment last week, ''pulling a woddle'' :D
    That phrase is now part of the runners vocabulary - as in 'I was so knacker in that race I 'pull a woddle'.
    Or 'at 24 miles I 'pulled a woddle'' at a drinks station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

4 stars (good)
    Thanks Woodle,

I was going to ask what happened at 3.5 miles then I noticed you were heading through Hilltown :eek:

The scale on the elevation chart on the "Player" screen makes this look like a mountain run :), i think I prefer the scale on the main page - looks nice and flat on the screen! which makes more sense with the 20ft of elevation gained...

BTW - if "pulling a Woodle" gets me a 33:30 I would be pretty pleased :)

BTW - if "pulling a Woodle" gets me a 33:30 I would be pretty pleased :)

It also gets you a cup of tea and a massage during the Berlin marathon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

wat evenin is this 1 on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Tuesday.
    Good race for a pb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'll be there, might be the last race I'll get to do for a little while, till the Irishtown 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Not for me, summer BHAA racing schedule has gone out the window... Will do 5 miles along the Thames instead if I can get out of work at a decent hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Hi just spotted this and half tempted to give it a whirl ( it ticks the big box of starting after my kids have gone to bed !).
    Anyone any thoughts, opinions or comments about the race ?
    can yuo register on the night ? Would there be a big field ? Is the quality to high for mymeagre abilities ? fast course ? etc , etc
    thanks
    LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Anyone any thoughts, opinions or comments about the race ?

Fast Course

can you register on the night ?

Yes its a BHAA race and you can register on the night, im sure is probably 15.

Would there be a big field ? Is the quality to high for mymeagre abilities ?

here is a link to the results from last year. should tell you all you know.

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/year/2009/tag/govser2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

3 stars (average)
    I'll be doin this (if i can get a lift down that is!). Another stab at my pb is too hard to resist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

3 stars (average)
    I did this race last night - it was my first "proper" race and I was happy with how it went for me! Here is my VERY unexperienced opinion!

The course was great - nice and flat and only one lap around on country roads and finishing with a lap of the track. There were large mile markers and the measurements were very accurate. There was a great spread afterwards, lots of sambos, tea and cake, and the prizes looked decent enough (perhaps donated by a chemist as there were a lot of beauty products?!). I didn't get to look at them too closely unfortunately! :o There were also a couple of water stations on the route, which probably weren't 100% necessary on such a short run, but given the warm evening they were welcome! All in all it was great value for €10/15.

The main negative of the evening was that a neighbouring farmer picked last night to spray his fields with slurry and the smell was horrendous. There was no getting away from it, even in the hall afterwards. There was nothing the organisers could do about it but it's unfortunate that it will be one of the memories that will linger with me!

The only other negative aspect of the night for me was that around the halfway point there was a water station set up from a car boot. I was towards the back of the race, and as I have a cold I was breathing through my mouth, which was as dry as a desert! The volunteer was holding out 2 glasses of water, I ran over to grab one and she pulled it away and held it out behind me to a few local ladies who were running a few metres behind me, saying "I'll serve my own first". It was no big deal but I was a little upset by it; it was my first race and first water station and I just got a shock. Anyway I just moved on and there was another station between the 3 and 4 mile mark, I got a mouthful of water there which was all I needed!

All in all though it was a positive experience for me and I enjoyed it a lot! Many thanks to the organisers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

4 stars (good)
    This was my first go at a BHAA organised event and I was very impressed.

Good organisation, good spread after, well marked and flat course with marshals at all the corners. And to top it all I knocked three seconds off my best! (new PB 33:47)

To me, the only draw back was the start. Very narrow and crowded due to starting in the housing estate. Perhaps if the could have found a way to make more room (perhaps by adding an extra lap of the track at the end) it would have been better. Minor niggle and certainly not enough to change my thoughts on the race.

Pity about the farmer deciding to spread that night, but what can you do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I enjoyed the race. It was nice and flat. I think the winding roads helps too, not looking at long stretched of road into the distance. There was a good spread of food afterwards too. Nice to get the goody bag of water and cereal bars crossing the line.

The slurry was a bit of a dampner on the day, sepecially having to run past the tractor at the start. Think everyone was trying to hold their breath going past it. The showers were freezing too, but that probably because I missed out on all the hot water and had to wash in a shower of hailstones. Got a PB on the night, so thats a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Team results and individual league points are now online.

http://bhaa.ie/members/dashboard/event/index/tag/govserv2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

3 stars (average)
    This was my first go at a BHAA organised event and I was very impressed.

Good organisation, good spread after, well marked and flat course with marshals at all the corners. And to top it all I knocked three seconds off my best! (new PB 33:47)

To me, the only draw back was the start. Very narrow and crowded due to starting in the housing estate. Perhaps if the could have found a way to make more room (perhaps by adding an extra lap of the track at the end) it would have been better. Minor niggle and certainly not enough to change my thoughts on the race.

Pity about the farmer deciding to spread that night, but what can you do???
    Hey I had a 33:50 PB coming in to this too (from the BHAA RTE5) and ended up equalling it..maybe I should've dipped at the line :) but happy as the RTE5 seemed to have been a tad short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

3 stars (average)
    Aimman wrote: »
    I enjoyed the race. It was nice and flat. I think the winding roads helps too, not looking at long stretched of road into the distance. There was a good spread of food afterwards too. Nice to get the goody bag of water and cereal bars crossing the line.

The slurry was a bit of a dampner on the day, sepecially having to run past the tractor at the start. Think everyone was trying to hold their breath going past it. The showers were freezing too, but that probably because I missed out on all the hot water and had to wash in a shower of hailstones. Got a PB on the night, so thats a bonus.
    Well done Aimman...didn't spot any boardsies at the start, should've worn my singlet! Wasn't impressed either with the big slurry spreader taking up half the road near the start or the cars muscling their way through but enjoyed the winding country roads. Didn't know about the lap of the track at the end and broke into a sprint in a panic when I saw the scout den then had to fight through the fog of manure smell! Grabbed a nice hot shower down the community centre. Overall great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

I agree with all previous comments...Great race except for location of start well organised, brill weather but still trying to get rid of the smell from my runners....never saw slurry on road and ran straight into it!!! am currently preparing for berlin marathon in Sept so nice to let rip for a change...1st competative 5 miler and delighted with 31.45..

Advertisement