Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime & No Punishment in Enniscorthy

Options
  • 25-05-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Still in the pursuit of my quest to clean up Enniscorthy, which seems to largely be largely falling on deaf ears, I took several pics this morning to show the attractions of Templeshannon that greet visitors arriving by train or staying at Treacy's Hotel.

The whole area from the 'old' bridge to where The Shannon Hill meets Templeshannon is in a very neglected state - closed down business premises with smashed windows, broken beer bottles and general filth everywhere. Quite obviously there is a high level of thuggery in the area after dark and this can only be addressed by an increased garda presence - preferably with a nightime sub-depot located there. What does anybody else think?

More pics here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/2010/05/is-there-need-for-sub-garda-station-in.html

Enniscorthy+002.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Are the closed premises due to flood damage or lack of trade? Sounds rough all right. Why not approach the local radio's morning programme? They might do a slot on it. Ring 053-9145222 and ask for the Morning Mix researcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Are the closed premises due to flood damage or lack of trade? Sounds rough all right. Why not approach the local radio's morning programme? They might do a slot on it. Ring 053-9145222 and ask for the Morning Mix researcher.

Lack of trade. The whole town is a retail disaster with Templeshannon leading the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

I agree, although i am not a local , I do own a business in enniscorthy town , the whole area is absolutely dying , I bought a shop in slaney street in 2008 and have watched in dismay as the whole area has become shabby and anti social.. I have spoken to the town planner , a very ameniable lady who explained to me that she is stuck between a rock and a hard place as the various interested departments are dithering on making any solid decisions as to the general improvements which need to be made , she also told me there is a huge fund called the enniscorthy 1500 fund available for improvements but , so far , folks have not verbalised what exactly they want to see done in the area .

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Templeshannon used to be full of shops - perhaps not profitable, or even attractive, but it was full and busy in the 70s and 80s, with even places like Paddy Furlong's and Carty's making a living. Then there were thriving businesses like Tracy's, the Crest, Charlie Cullen's, Buttles and so forth (and even Miss Dempsey's for religious medals, pioneer pins and broom handles). Whenever I go home now, it's emptier and emptier and the dirt and squalor is hideous. They could at least sort out the drains there that provide such a "charming" olfactory experience entirely in keeping with the general shabbiness.

As to the anti-social nature of the place, twas ever thus after dark. Coming home from a night out across town the most dangerous part of the home journey was always the last few hundred yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

T'is a fairly run down area... symptomatic of the degradation of Enniscorthy in general.

Not the sort of place people go out of their way to go shopping. I head to Wexford town at the weekends nowadays... better shops, more choice (don't start with the support local lark now).

Add in the fact that you've the hotel & nightclub and 4 other pubs (Tavern, Old House, The Club, Toss Kavanaghs) all in the same spot here... so it's gonna get messy after hours.

I could throw in Paddy Furlong's as a pub too... but most of Paddy's customers are there from 7am to mid-day so won't contribute to any of the trouble at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

absolute disgrace in this day and age :mad:

Advertisement