Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an over night stay?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Its been over 20 years since I've been to the city!! and am look at a overnight stay in the city centre. Have been looking at 1 pery square. Would people recommend it or can suggest other alternatives? Does this hotel have a car park?

Thanks

W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nice hotel with a great chef. I don't like the area myself. It may be in front of a park and surrounded by Georgian buildings but its still an area I don't like going around when its dark. Its nearly all offices occupying the ground floors so after 6pm the place is deserted.

Hotels which I would recommend in order of Preference

Savoy Hotel http://www.savoylimerick.com/
    Absolute Hotel http://www.absolutehotel.com/
    Clarion Hotel(not the Clarion Suites) http://www.clarionhotellimerick.com/
    Strand Hotel http://www.strandhotellimerick.ie/

If you are not on facebook then you wont know but the Clarion put a lot of their offers out on their facebook page.

This was last week: At the 4* Clarion Hotel Limerick
    €59 Riverview Room. Room Only per night

I would even ring up and ask them for the same rate for whatever future date you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i dont know what u want in terms of location and quality but both of the travel lodges and the clarion suites do rooms from 49 quid, not bad if u ask me, ps let us know what u think of the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I would have to say The Strand Hotel, really nice rooms and staff.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€59 for a river view in the Clarion is a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Its the saturday of the aug bank holiday weekend so guess the rates will rise?

Looking for something comfortable as it will be the day after a wedding so will need to recharge the batteries!!

W

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Personally I think alot of the main city hotels, which are mentioned above all pretty much deliver the same service! (excluding Jurys Inn!) A hotel room is a hotel room at the end of the day... I am not familiar with Pery Square so would be curious to hear views on that.

The Clarion suites are pretty reasonable too and would be comfortable and ideal for lounging around, recovering :) or try one of the hotels out further from the city, I find these have often a more relaxing atmosphere.

Sat night of the Bank Holiday.

Clarion €89 Room Only
    Strand €92 Room Only
    George Hotel €94 Room Only
    Jurys Inn €130 Room Only. You could build your own Jurys Inn for €130 for gods sake.

Those prices are from Lastminute.ie so I would normally take those prices to the hotel itself and haggle a better deal or get the same price with a better room and breakfast for the same price.

1800hotels.ie prices are all over the place. I'd stick to haggling directly with the hotels to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I stayed in patrick punches on new years ever. 45 quid for the room and was really comfortable. Worth a shot if it hasnt closed down or something!

colman1212 wrote: »
    I stayed in patrick punches on new years ever. 45 quid for the room and was really comfortable. Worth a shot if it hasnt closed down or something!

Just checked. Its €49 per night down from €165. I find it pretty unlikely it was ever €165 which is most likely the Bord Failte approved maximum tariff they could charge which nobody ever charges.

Breakfast is an extra €10 per person.

€69 in total which is not too bad. Free parking as well, gym and swimming pool.

http://www.patrickpunchshotel.com/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

colman1212 wrote: »

Punches is still there, I just live down the road from it.

I'd recommend The Strand hotel personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

the clarion has gone down hill an awful lot lately, and it's more of a corporate stayover/business hotel, i've stayed there a couple of times myself and i usually pop over for dinner, although my wife says the george is a much more "plush"? hotel. having been in there a couple of times for dinner myself i have to admit the atmosphere and ambience is much nicer, the clarion is just that bit "colder".

the savoy though if you can afford it, is a five star as far as i know, often have morning coffee in there or lunch, i'd imagine if the rooms are anything like the restaurant, you're in for a treat! :)

EDIT:

had friends down from dublin a while back and they stayed in the best western up near perrys square, they enjoyed their stay and thought it was great value.

love the last two replies btw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I find The Strand great for food and the rooms are a good size (the indoor balcony riverview is excellent), but The Savoy is unreal altogether in terms of comfort and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Pery square gets great reviews on tripadvisor, also irish independent did a write up on it and got glowing results, so if u want a bit of luxury go for it.

But if your going to a wedding how much time are you going to spend in hotel room, plenty of cheap nice hotel rooms in limerick,

Except when there is a Munster match on, then the hotels go into rip off mode.
    Maybe if they did not rip off traveling rugby fans, they night stay more than 1 or two nights and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ninty9er wrote: »
    I find The Strand great for food and the rooms are a good size (the indoor balcony riverview is excellent), but The Savoy is unreal altogether in terms of comfort and service.

I thought you were from Limerick ninty9er?

- Are you expensing all of these luxury Hotel stays somehow ya Ógra Fianna Fail Junior Prodigy? :D

fianna-fail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Clarion Suites are nice plus you can check out the Ardhu Bar which is pretty impressive.

You must also know that you will probably have the city for yourself as the majority of us Limerick folks will be in Kilkee or Ballybunion :)

Perry Square is quiet good and the food there is fantastic, location wise it is quiet and dreary after dark but sure the August weekend it will still be bright until 9pm so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 val100

Friends of mine stayed in the Best Western Perys hotel, i think it used to be called Glentworth or something.. But they said they really enjoyed their stay. Its just off OConnell street. I have never been there myself but they are really cheap if you look on booking.com or other sites like that!:D

Advertisement