Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DAFT report - 'Still a renter's market'

Options
  • 25-05-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

DAFT Report

Makes for some interesting reading, probably nothing starkly new but it’s nice to have independent research blast away the vested interest propaganda being spun by EA’s and EA affiliates.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

DAFT Report

Makes for some interesting reading, probably nothing starkly new but it’s nice to have independent research blast away the vested interest propaganda being spun by EA’s and EA affiliates.

dont daft have a vested interest in Rents since thats how their site started out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    dont daft have a vested interest in Rents since thats how their site started out :confused:

Fair point but they are not in the business of selling their product at any cost, they do not try to talk the market up or down as the need dictates. They comment on the market with the figures and data they collect and from this report it would seem they are pretty spot on with the analysis. I would be in the category of renter/potential buyer described in the piece.

Am I being naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    They have little vested interest as they do sales as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

DAFT Report

What propaganda? Doesn't the report show rents have more or less stopped falling and have risen slightly in Dublin in last 3 months? Seems like the report backs up the EAs. Last years falls are pretty irrelevant at this stage as they have already been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

beeno67 wrote: »
    What propaganda? Doesn't the report show rents have more or less stopped falling and have risen slightly in Dublin in last 3 months? Seems like the report backs up the EAs. Last years falls are pretty irrelevant at this stage as they have already been reported.

ASKING rents. ASKING. While the Daft report is as good as we're going to get in the absence of a national register, it can't help but only work with the data it's given. The dogs on the streets, sorry, the prospective renters on the street know that you're angling for 10% off the asking rent when you go view a place these days. The so-called 'rise' in DUblin could easily be explained by the corresponding rise in rental stock coming on the market over the last 3 months, initially overpriced before the new LLs figure out what the real market level roughly is.

And yes, yes I know I'm more than happy to quote the Daft report in landlords' faces on the flipside when it mentions rent reductions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

They have little vested interest as they do sales as well.

I would assume that they make far more money from Rentals than Sales (even at normal times). Much higher turnover etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

oflahero wrote: »
    ASKING rents. ASKING. While the Daft report is as good as we're going to get in the absence of a national register, it can't help but only work with the data it's given.

+1

Another point. I can't see any reference to how long properties are advertised.
    I've seen properties listed since late 2009 still asking for the same rent.
    This is not stabilisation, this is an empty house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Then why would they want to talk the rental Market down. They would have landlords exiting the Market or negotiating with tenants rather than readvertise.

oflahero wrote: »
    ASKING rents. ASKING. While the Daft report is as good as we're going to get in the absence of a national register, it can't help but only work with the data it's given. The dogs on the streets, sorry, the prospective renters on the street know that you're angling for 10% off the asking rent when you go view a place these days. The so-called 'rise' in DUblin could easily be explained by the corresponding rise in rental stock coming on the market over the last 3 months, initially overpriced before the new LLs figure out what the real market level roughly is.

And yes, yes I know I'm more than happy to quote the Daft report in landlords' faces on the flipside when it mentions rent reductions...

That is fine but my question is, how does it "Blast away the vested interests propaganda"? It will only "blast them away" if you assume it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

That is fine but my question is, how does it "Blast away the vested interests propaganda"? It will only "blast them away" if you assume it is wrong.

Agree with you that it doesn't 'blast them away' either. Its note of reluctant stoicism, however, is a welcome counterpoint to the tiresome shrieking of 'Bottom reached! Recovery just around the corner!' that issues without fail from every estate agent/property federation -based press release or 'report'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

What propaganda?

Ah come off it, every EA the length and breath of the country herald the 'bottoming out' on a daily basis.

This is one of the few reports to focus on the falling rental prices, although rental prices never ballooned to the heights of purchase prices (comparativly speaking).

Ah come off it, every EA the length and breath of the country herald the 'bottoming out' on a daily basis.

This is one of the few reports to focus on the falling rental prices, although rental prices never ballooned to the heights of purchase prices (comparativly speaking).

I asked what propaganda because the report does not address any propaganda. The report says rents are rising in Dublin and falling very slightly outside Dublin. It does not focus on falling prices. I fully accept oflaheros comment that the report may not be an accurate reflection of actual rents. However, as a report it backs EAs who say the market has stabilised or is rising a little. I am quite sure you will see EAs and others quoting this report to make their point. Landlords will use it as a reason to try and avoid rent reductions. To quote from the press release:

"The stabilisation in rents is being driven by Dublin and Cork cities, where rents have largely been level since the start of the year. In Dublin city centre, rents actually rose 1.3% between January and March."

EAs and other "vested interests" will quote this constantly.

Advertisement