Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maltese Pup - Price ?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just wondering what the going rate for a pup of the above breed would be ?

I have been offered one for in the region of 450Eur.. Apparently it has all its papers etc..

Is that a bit pricey ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, thats actually very cheap, id be wondering why its that price to be honest as most decent malteses are a lot more expensive than that.

Who is offering you one at this price? is a good breeder who came recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

andreac wrote: »
    No, thats actually very cheap, id be wondering why its that price to be honest as most decent malteses are a lot more expensive than that.

Who is offering you one at this price? is a good breeder who came recommended?

Hi and thanks for your response.

Its actually my neighbor who is breeding them. I'm not well up on dogs or breeds of dogs, but he said the Mammy is pure Maltese and Daddy is a ****su.

The pups are only 3 days old and my young lad had pick of the litter, ( He went of the pure white one ). He said he'll give it to me after 10 weeks for 450Eur. Initially I thought it was expensive, but since I posted this thread I've done some googling and it does actually sound like a good price. The pup will come with all the relevant papers etc.

Should I go for it ? I think my young lad will be quite upset if I pull the plug on it, especially after him seeing the pup's with their Mammy !

Hold on, are you telling me he is intentially breeding cross breeds and actually charging for them?? Seriously, do not hand over any money for these dogs, they are just mongrels/cross breeds and they are not worth that money.

You say its a Maltese, its not, its a cross breed and plenty of those for free in pounds and rescue centres so you would be crazy to pay any sort of money for this pup.

Im guessing he isnt health testing them either so steer clear if you ask me. No reputable breeder will intentially cross 2 diff breeds of dogs and are usually only doing so to make a quick buck and line their pockets.

Sorry, but your pup will NOT have any papers, it cant, its a mongrel and you cant register cross breeds, so if he told you it comes with papers, hes lying!!!

Steer well clear of this person, hes trying to con you into buying a pup that will never be registered, sounds like a puppy farmer to me.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Would you consider rescuing a dog? There are plenty in the shelters that are looking for good homes. I would not be paying for a mongrel, especially at that price! These pups are going to get homes regardless of whether you take one or not, so please try the shelters. Please please please!!! Mongrels are known to have the upper hand healthwise too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

andreac wrote: »
    Hold on, are you telling me he is intentially breeding cross breeds and actually charging for them?? Seriously, do not hand over any money for these dogs, they are just mongrels/cross breeds and they are not worth that money.

You say its a Maltese, its not, its a cross breed and plenty of those for free in pounds and rescue centres so you would be crazy to pay any sort of money for this pup.

Im guessing he isnt health testing them either so steer clear if you ask me. No reputable breeder will intentially cross 2 diff breeds of dogs and are usually only doing so to make a quick buck and line their pockets.

Sorry, but your pup will NOT have any papers, it cant, its a mongrel and you cant register cross breeds, so if he told you it comes with papers, hes lying!!!

Steer well clear of this person, hes trying to con you into buying a pup that will never be registered, sounds like a puppy farmer to me.:mad:

Thanks for the advice, I don't know what to do know. The young lad has his heart set on him..

I should of realised that the pups wouldn't have papers. I actually have a pure breed Siamese cat with all her papers and we got her neutered young. Thinking what kind of kittens she would of had didn't bear thinking about :eek:

Again, cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement

How old is your son? He will get over it im sure. Maybe try and explain to him that you will get a dog from a rescue instead and its better to try and help the dogs that need to be rehomed etc.

I would avoid this breeder like the plague, he sounds well dodgy and obv thought you would believe the bull that he has told you. Shame on these people that try and con decent people out of their money.:mad::mad:

Im glad you came for advice and didnt hand over your hard earn cash to this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Kids are hardy and I wouldn't hand over that kind of money. Trust me the novelty of the pup will wear off and your young lad will although love the pup not always remember to play of feed him so you will end up the main carer.

Kids can be persuaded tell him that there are more puppies to go and see first because some puppies aren't as lucky and don't have a home to go to.

Oh and if the neighbours have a pb registered maltese report them to the IKC as far as I am aware if they are *registered and cross breeding that's against their rules. If they told you that the pups will come with papers notify the IKC because they can't go registering pups that aren't pb.

Just tell the neighbour you found a pup elsewhere that needed a home sooner. If you choose a rescue pup you probably could have one within a week and wouldn't have to wait so that would proabably bode well with your young lad.

*Ooops actually don't think it's against the IKC rules it's more to do with their code of ethics.

http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=43&Itemid=60

•I shall not permit any of my pure bred dogs to be mated except to a dog of the same breed without the consent of the Irish Kennel Club.

Giving a rescue a similar amount of money as a donation will not only give a pup a good home with you but help half a dozen other pups in need.

All our animals are rescue except one which we did buy, never again though once off anymore will be rescue for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just have to echo others - I wouldn't personally fork out that kind of money for a mixed dog. A maltese pure bred pup goes for anything from 600-1200, maltese crossed with other breeds are usually anything from 150-450, but I wouldn't pay that.

You won't have papers, you won't have a guarantee of health because they've possibly not been checked, seems like it's either an accidental litter that they're trying to make a few bob out of, or selling a 'designer' breed (and I hate using that word).
    Either way it's not really right in my book.

I know hearts may be set on it, but personally I'd rather fork out for a real pure bred (properly checked) or pay a lovely donation and take home a pup/dog from a rescue that needs a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

yup, re-homing is the way to go, kids will get a kick out of rescuing too...depending on what part of the country you are from, there are often young pups that will be looking for a home. Try irishanimals.ie to start as you can search by county

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

also no reputable breeder would take the pups away from the mother before their atleast 8 weeks.

go for a rescue its very rewarding and well worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement