Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power city wont take back a brand new washing machine

Options
  • 25-05-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

right so my nanny bought a new washing machine because she taught it was broken.
    I took out 4 bolts at the back of the new machine as it said so to do. I then found a tap that controls water into the machine and it was closed so i opened it and tried the old machine and it worked.

power city wont take the new unused washing machine back because i had taking the 4 bolts out.They have also said that a special machine puts them. if a machine puts them in how come i could put them back in by screwing them in.

what can be done about this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing can be done. they dont have to take it back if they dont want to.

Normally shops will do something to show a bit of goodwill but they are not obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

as above. they dont have to refund or credit you as there is nothing wrong with it.

they would only refund if it was faulty and within a certain time period. Have you spoken to the manager about this, see if they can maybe issue you a credit note?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You agreed to buy something, they agreed to sell it to you. You paid and its now in your house. Powercity dont have to do anything.

Your only hope is to get a friendly manager who may bend the rules for you. Or you can take a hit, and knock 50 euro off the price and stick it on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately, they don't have to take it back. The machine is not faulty, or not fit for purpose.

They could be nice and take it back as a gesture of goodwill. Your best bet might be to sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

they wanted 50 euro to take it back they called it a stocking fee i believe.
    Ill try convince her to sell it on ebay or on adverts. she has her mind set on keeping it untill the other one packs in.

thanks for your replys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

so they did offer to take it back but for 50 euro fee?

Sounds like a fair deal to be honest, your mess why should they be out of pocket.

Also, would you be prepared to pay full price for a washing machine that's been delivered to someones house, possibly scratched, unpacked, the drum locking nuts removed, possibly not replaced correctly, repacked, and moved back to the store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

they wanted 50 euro to take it back they called it a stocking fee i believe.
    Ill try convince her to sell it on ebay or on adverts. she has her mind set on keeping it untill the other one packs in.

thanks for your replys

I use ebay and adverts all the time to sell stuff and I can tell you this as a fact you will not get your money back, you will in fact loose much more than the 50 euro restock fee that power city want.

Have you considered keeping the new machine that way your wife is happy, saves you the hassle of returning it etc and instead sell the old one on adverts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

NANNY lol not wife
    no never taught of selling the old one thanks for that.

Advertisement