Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I WANT TO GIVE UP :(

Options
  • 25-05-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I actually want to give up....! I am soo sooo super stressed and am cracking :( I feel I'm going to do bad even if I work hard now. I'm a repeat so I have points , enough for my second choice like. I just want it to be over :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I know... it gets so hard as the summer gets closer and closer, it's easy to get lazy!
    But DON'T. Imagine how disappointed you'll be when you open that envelope in August if you've wasted a year of your life repeating and being miserable for nothing. There is literally two weeks to go, just give it your all. It will fly by as well, just make timetables, take the evening off, be nice to yourself and eat lots of nice food, think about opening your envelope in August and being all happy. Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

zam wrote: »
    I know... it gets so hard as the summer gets closer and closer, it's easy to get lazy!
    But DON'T. Imagine how disappointed you'll be when you open that envelope in August if you've wasted a year of your life repeating and being miserable for nothing. There is literally two weeks to go, just give it your all. It will fly by as well, just make timetables, take the evening off, be nice to yourself and eat lots of nice food, think about opening your envelope in August and being all happy. Don't give up!

I love you. What a wonderful post.

Too bad I am a repeat and DONT have points to fall back on eeeeek!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Here's a strategy which helped me a lot, even though it was initially intended for a very different purpose. Read it somewhere in an article about Jerry Seinfeld when he was trying to make it as a comedian.

He could not motivate himself to write jokes. So what he did was get a big calendar and stuck it on his wall. Every day that he managed to sit down and really focus on writing jokes for at least an hour or so, he would take a red marker and put a big fat X on that day of the calendar.

Pretty soon he saw chains of Xs appearing, and this pleased him (and pleases me when I do it!). He aimed to make his chain as long as possible and if he missed a single day he had to miss the day on his calendar and start a new chain.

If you do this pretty soon you will like looking at that chain of Xs and try your very hardest to keep it going. You will find yourself studying your nuts off!

Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

get on with it, it's far easier than the papers in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Here's a strategy which helped me a lot, even though it was initially intended for a very different purpose. Read it somewhere in an article about Jerry Seinfeld when he was trying to make it as a comedian.

He could not motivate himself to write jokes. So what he did was get a big calendar and stuck it on his wall. Every day that he managed to sit down and really focus on writing jokes for at least an hour or so, he would take a red marker and put a big fat X on that day of the calendar.

Pretty soon he saw chains of Xs appearing, and this pleased him (and pleases me when I do it!). He aimed to make his chain as long as possible and if he missed a single day he had to miss the day on his calendar and start a new chain.

If you do this pretty soon you will like looking at that chain of Xs and try your very hardest to keep it going. You will find yourself studying your nuts off!

Hope this helps :D
    Quite coincidental but I also only read that a few days ago:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

What do you mean you have points because you're a repeat? You can't carry over points from one year to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

moneyman wrote: »
    What do you mean you have points because you're a repeat? You can't carry over points from one year to another.
    I think they mean that if they do worse this year they still have last years points to fall back on, not that they can add on last years points to this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pull yourself together man. Think of the nights out afterwards and get this **** done. :cool:

Lawliet wrote: »
    I think they mean that if they do worse this year they still have last years points to fall back on, not that they can add on last years points to this years.

Are you sure that's how it works? I'm repeating, and I was under the impression that you have to use what you get this year once you apply to the CAO. You can't use last years points instead of this years if you happen to do worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Are you sure that's how it works? I'm repeating, and I was under the impression that you have to use what you get this year once you apply to the CAO. You can't use last years points instead of this years if you happen to do worse.

You can of course! Sure how could people into college after a gap year etc. or take a deferred place if you had to use points from this year only?

The only thing you can't do is mix grades from 2 different leaving certs for your points i.e. for points, the grades all have to be from the same year. You can use grades from more than one sitting for matriculation though.

example:
    got 500 points first sitting, but failed maths. you pass maths when you repeat, but only get 350 points in your 2nd sitting.

You can use you 1st set of grades for points, and your 2nd sitting of maths for matriculation (but you cannot use this for points).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Thanks guys.... Ye helped alot ! I am now over my little freak out! Besides the back my construction project just FELL APART ...but I'm breathing (like Lynette taught Eddie in DH) and I WILL get through this :D
    And yes, repeats can use points from last year as said above like the whole lot just!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm pretty sure munkymanmatt is right. The CAO stores all your qualifications on their computer, why would they bother storing this information if the previous qualification was nullified by the next?
    By what you're saying is that if someone were to repeat for say, a A1 in pass maths and got it, they would be entered into the CAO as only having 60 points. And that obviously doesn't happen; they take the previous years points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

You're definitely allowed to use points from previous years. :)

Thanks for the clarification people. I did not know that! :)

Still, I'd be a bit worried if I got less points second time around.

Advertisement