Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New home for the US GP

• 25-05-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

Despite all the rumours of a New York race Mr E has announced Austin as the home for the US GP from 2012 to 2021.

Lets hope it does better than Phoenix and the race weekend doesn't clash with an ostrich race this time. Allegedly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

This is a bit out of the blue for me. Can't seem to find much info on the track, anyone know if there's a website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

Here's hoping they find someone other than Hermann Tilke to design the track - it'd be a nice change to have someone else come in with some new ideas for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

amacachi wrote: »
    This is a bit out of the blue for me. Can't seem to find much info on the track, anyone know if there's a website?

There is no track, doesn't even sound like theirs a location yet :eek:

Its bound to be a Tilkedrome though :mad:

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    There is no track, doesn't even sound like theirs a location yet :eek:

Its bound to be a Tilkedrome though :mad:

Aye, just assumed they'd have had to present a "concept" for it at least. They should just throw the cars round Indy ffs. Or even TMS.

No just flash the cash.

I have been saying for ages they should just go back to Indy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Just fullthrottleproductionslp.com which has no content.

I notice the domain name land grab was already begun with austingp.com, grandprixofaustin.com and grandprixoftexas.com all registered today. None of whom claim to be Full Throttle Productions. But unitedstatesgp2012.com is still available.

Very out of the blue. The Monticello circuit must have been Bernie playing organisers against each other. Still, I don't know if they having started the planning process etc so as long as it doesn't turn into another Donnington. At least is has the city and maybe state backing. Still, state elections this year and mayor elections in 2012.

No just flash the cash.

I have been saying for ages they should just go back to Indy.
    There's any number of places over there that would be brilliant, but we all know the tracks and racing are irrelevant. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it's good to have the US back on the calender. As for the track, I guess there's a chance it will work out, pity its not back to one of the better tracks but maybe it'll be something interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Hmmmm new track. US F1 springs to mind.

I hate to be negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Monticello Motor Club, located about a 90 minute drive from New York City, has been given a 20 per cent chance of hosting the United States grand prix starting in 2012 or 2013.

It emerged last week that the private club's president Ari Strauss told members the venue is in talks with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone and had already been visited by circuit designer Hermann Tilke.

He wrote in a letter that he is now working on securing political backing, insisting it "is not a done deal".

But a new report by the local daily Times Herald-Record reveals that Strauss and club chairman William McMichael also met recently with Ecclestone in London.

A considerable stumbling-block is that the $35 million track - built in 2008 at the old Monticello airport and with comedian Jerry Seinfeld among its members - needs $150m in improvements and then millions every year for F1's sanctioning fee.

"We are cautiously optimistic," Straus said. "If you told me I had to bet on it, I would say there is a 20 per cent chance."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They ain't gonna get an entire venue up and running in two years though, are they?

It'll be crap anyway, I guarantee that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

would rather road America but its pretty basic in terms of facilities iirc fantastic track though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There is so many amazing places to race in the US I'm a bit disappointed they are making a new track for it. I really hope it's not just going to be like all the other modern F1 tracks, it really needs to be something special to make an impact over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Track needs an insane corner in it, like the Corkscrew, Eau Rouge or Turkey's Turn 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

PJTierney wrote: »
    Track needs an insane corner in it, like the Corkscrew, Eau Rouge or Turkey's Turn 8.

all three would be nice :P

apparently the terrain where they are building it is meant to be hilly so with luck we might get a good circuit

Grim. wrote: »

apparently the terrain where they are building it is meant to be hilly so with luck we might get a good circuit

Fingers crossed, was going to jump the gun and say I was expecting it to be flat, I didn't think Texas was the hilliest of places. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I still don't see why they need a brand new circuit when the US already has plenty of great circuits and great venues. Just take any of the road courses on the IndyCars, or even some of the rovals like Homestead, Daytona or California. (Or even Texas World Speedway ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

YEE-HAW!

*shoots gun in air*

Grim. wrote: »

Using Google maps in terrain mode shows some hills to the east of Austin but it looks quite green so planning could be tricky.

Interestingly there is an airport just south west of the city with some land around it so people couldn't complain about the noise. Some of it appears to be a city landfill so it may not be private land. Not to far away from I35 either so good transport links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

"Tilke to design new Austin circuit"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83891

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

"Tilke to design new Austin circuit"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83891

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was excited about this.

Not so much now........

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I still don't see why they need a brand new circuit when the US already has plenty of great circuits and great venues. Just take any of the road courses on the IndyCars, or even some of the rovals like Homestead, Daytona or California. (Or even Texas World Speedway ;) )
    Go through this and find out how many of those circuits fall into FIA regulations: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/FC8A511F5D3C12B2C12576A10055F69C/$FILE/10.04.01_Annexe O 2010 .pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

A site for the 2012 United States grand prix has been selected.

It was earlier reported that although a promoter has won the rights to stage the race on a purpose-built track in Austin, Texas, the actual site for the venue is still being decided.

But a lawyer for promoter Full Throttle Productions is quoted by the local American-Statesman newspaper as revealing that land has been secured.

"We're just not ready to disclose it (the actual location) yet," said Richard Suttle.

Suttle also said regular F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke has been appointed.

But even with the new details, doubts about the project remain, including insider sentiment that it resembles past negotiating moves deployed by F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

Until the shock news of the Austin deal emerged, Monticello Motor Club in New York was considered the front runner for a contract.

Club president Ari Straus said the 2012 start-date was the biggest surprise.

"Somebody starting from scratch would not be able to do it until 2013," he said.

The implication could be that if Austin is unable to be ready for 2012, Monticello could be back in the frame for a project the following year.

"If Bernie comes back to the table," Straus said, "Monticello is ready."

But Austin promoter Tavo Hellmund, reportedly a friend of Ecclestone's for decades, said he is not worried about the tight schedule for 2012.

"If it (the date) slides back, it slides back," he said.

Although mainly funded privately, the project will also enjoy some state input, with a letter to Ecclestone signed by Texas governor Rick Perry pledging $25 million per year from the state's Mayor Event Trust Fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Or combine the three for the most epic corner ever devised. Screw Rouge 8.

bbk wrote: »
    Or combine the three for the most epic corner ever devised. Screw Rouge 8.

May as well add 130r in there somewhere.

May as well add 130r in there somewhere.

Since it doesn't exist anywhere else now. :(

The 138 Rougescrew it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why dont they use one of the many decent tracks that already exist in the US? Personally I would wet myself with excitement at the prospect of an F1 race in Laguna Seca considering its a much better track then 90% of the dull tracks F1 already uses? Or somewhere like Long Beach or Road America?

• Advertisement

I'm not all that big a fan of Laguna Seca, and lap times would probably dip under a minute. Also the corkscrew would have to modified massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This track is USF1 all over again. Half cocked marketing hype, no actual money, no actual plans, no actual facilities, hopelessly optimistic timescale, no F1-level experienced staff, a blank website, no relevent experience.....

Then you look back at the hoops Silverstone had to jump through to keep probably the 2nd most important GP of the year, and you really wonder what goes through the F1 mogul's brains.

This track is USF1 all over again. Half cocked marketing hype, no actual money, no actual plans, no actual facilities, hopelessly optimistic timescale, no F1-level experienced staff, a blank website, no relevent experience.....

Then you look back at the hoops Silverstone had to jump through to keep probably the 2nd most important GP of the year, and you really wonder what goes through the F1 mogul's brains.
    I have to leave the house in the next half hour so I'm not going to start a rant. :pac: I really don't know what logic is used sometimes.
    The new track is a joke, there's any number of tracks that could be used, some would need no upgrade, some would. There's a ridiculous amount of streettracks that could be used.
    Ugh, I'm stopping before I can't. :pac:

Track location announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Fingers crossed, was going to jump the gun and say I was expecting it to be flat, I didn't think Texas was the hilliest of places. :pac:

Being built near the airport so i'd imagine it is utterly flat wherever that is. Your fears are about to be realised i'd say. What a load of ****.

Looks pretty flat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

They genuinely dont seem to care about the show. Bernie bitches and moans about the car design, the drivers being afraid to take risks and so on but then they go off and design circuits like Bahrain, Singapore, Valencia, et all where overtaking is virtually impossible.

The tracks are the biggest problem with F1 cars not being able to overtake. Almost every track which is hilly like Turkey, Spa, Brazil, Japan is easy to overtake on and even if they werent the cars at least look way more spectacular on those tracks. Watching a on board lap of Bahrain is videous horriblis.

Lets face it Bernie doesnt give a **** about creating a good racing series. He's only interested in the tracks that give him most money. Pretty sad that a man with his wealth and at his age is more concerned with making money than creating a racing series to be proud of with stunning tracks, good accessibility for fans and reasonable prices. Sure look at the way they treat youtube clips of F1. They remove them instantly rather than using them as a tool to attract new fans.

Greed is an incredible thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

zeris wrote: »
    Looks pretty flat.

hills can be built these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

samsemtex wrote: »
    They genuinely dont seem to care about the show. They bitch and moan about the car design, the drivers being afraid to take risks and so on but then they go off and design circuits like Bahrain, Singapore, Valencia, et all where overtaking is virtually impossible.

The tracks are the biggest problem with F1 cars not being able to overtake. Almost every track which is hilly like Turkey, Spa, Brazil, Japan is easy to overtake on and even if ithey werent the cars at least look way more spectacular on those tracks.

Lets face it Bernie doesnt give a **** about creating a good racing series. He's only interested in the tracks that give him most money. Pretty sad that a man with his wealth and at his age is more concerned with making money than creating a racing series to be proud of. Greed is an incredible thing.

Nail on head. Most modern F1 tracks are dull and offer nothing in terms of overtaking opportunities which lets face it is what the sport is all about. Honestly if F1 goes to the States Id sooner see them using Texas Motor Speedway rather than coming up with another snoozefest of a road course; at least TMS would encourage some overtaking and exciting racing...

Only way they'd get the fans onboard fully would be to have an oval race, and that's not going to happen.
    If they get the whole thing built in time it'll be one of the best engineering achievements I've ever seen, just behind the location for this year's Korean Grand Prix. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Wow....HILLS!!!

That start up the main hill could be interesting as well as the dip before the last corner. Colour me interested...

It's exaggerated to highlight the elevation changes I believe.

Looks pretty alright, I must admit.

Still think they should've just gone to Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Barber or the rest...

Seca doesn't comply with FIA F1 regulations, the Corkscrew's too steep for F1 cars to handle in racing conditions.

Seca doesn't comply with FIA F1 regulations, the Corkscrew's too steep for F1 cars to handle in racing conditions.

What? Lame excuse. CART handled it just fine. They could easily just mandate a higher ride height if they're really that concerned, but to me that's just a cop-out.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    What? Lame excuse. CART handled it just fine. They could easily just mandate a higher ride height if they're really that concerned, but to me that's just a cop-out.

Sure CART was still slower than GP2. :pac: I wouldn't much like to see F1 at Laguna, can you imagine what would happen if Vettel or Webber came up to a backmarker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Toyota went to Laguna before with their F1 car, and broke the then lap record. I think the lack of runoff and the shortness of the track would be the main issues.

And onboard:

Bourdais went faster after that in a ChampCar, but it would be fairly easy to see why. I'd say they could've gotten under a minute if they wanted.

Advertisement