Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

A bit O.T.T?
    In fairness the song was Titanic without the chorus, and she didn't sing it particularly well, so naturally we did badly. We have to re-invent our strategy.
    If I ran RTE, I would pull out and save the money like Italy did. If we put in the best song ever written by the best singer ever, we still wouldn't get any votes from at least half the countries (mostly eastern bloc).
    Its the same for the UK. I hope they pull out too.

Yeah. Best solution. Pull out of it altogether. Considering the various cutbacks across Gov funded bodies, the RTE Eurovision budget should get the chop first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A bit O.T.T?
    In fairness the song was Titanic without the chorus, and she didn't sing it particularly well, so naturally we did badly. We have to re-invent our strategy.
    If I ran RTE, I would pull out and save the money like Italy did. If we put in the best song ever written by the best singer ever, we still wouldn't get any votes from at least half the countries (mostly eastern bloc).
    Its the same for the UK. I hope they pull out too.

If it's all political can you explain how Germany won it then?

It does come down to the song/act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

why did italy pull out for?

Looks like a bunch of counties aren't in it;
    Andorra · Austria · Czech Republic · Hungary · Italy · Lebanon · Liechtenstein · Luxembourg · Monaco · Montenegro · Morocco · San Marino

Seems like Italy just pulled out of it (again in 1997)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

you get the feeling from them they couldn't give two damns about it anymore don't you. Don't be surprised if they pull it from BBC1 and stick it on BBC4 or something

I do wish they would bring back Terry Wogan, that said this is the first year I watched it on RTE and listening to Marty taking it all so serious and getting more and more depressed by the minute was great entertainment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, odd to Irish people as 'Kate Nash' is well known here but but not so well in other countries through Europe.

We really need to get a bit more poppy or a decent rock act.

Sick of ballads and flutes. Need to change how songs are put forward to national finals.
    This. Ireland have the completely wrong attitude towards Eurovision. We send a song that wouldn't even chart here under normal circumstances and expect it to win. We need to send something modern that people listen to on a regular basis. I feel we deserved our low position tonight :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

DWCommuter wrote: »
    It didn't deserve to be 3rd last and your Barney and overweight joke is wearing thin.

Yeah it is not nice but it is true. Simon Cowell didn't make millions by being nice. The entertainment business is as shallow as you can get and nothing will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

kerbdog wrote: »
    Andorra · Austria · Czech Republic · Hungary · Italy · Lebanon · Liechtenstein · Luxembourg · Monaco · Montenegro · Morocco · San Marino
    Morocco were in it one year i think.. Pulled out because of religious stuffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

lebanon?? morocco?? are they cheating their way into the EBU like israel???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

yDon't be surprised if they pull it from BBC1 and stick it on BBC4 or something

BBC3.

BBC4 has quite high standards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Johnny Logan next year. Seriously, he seems to have a following around a lot of European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I do wish they would bring back Terry Wogan, that said this is the first year I watched it on RTE and listening to Marty taking it all so serious and getting more and more depressed by the minute was great entertainment :D

i was waiting for him to walk out:D you could tell which country was going to vote quite easily

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

And if it's all political how did Belgium come so high! We just have to send a song with more appeal than Niamh's.

Thing is Ireland is so associated with ballads I can't see a Pop/Rock act doing much either. Someone mentioned doing a Trad type ballad with a good looking singer. It would be worth a try.

I like ballads,(the love song type not the trad type) I just didn't think our song was all that strong, it wasn't too bad, a nice enough melody, but the vocals didn't do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

sceptre wrote: »
    BBC3.

BBC4 has quite high standards.

:D sorry how rude of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

you get the feeling from them they couldn't give two damns about it anymore don't you. Don't be surprised if they pull it from BBC1 and stick it on BBC4 or something

BBC3 Shirley?

edit beaten to it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Highlight for me this year - Romania

paula-seling1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lena-Meyer-Landrut-Eurovision-2010-Germany.jpg
    She's a lovely looking girl, but god she was embarrassing tonight ...
    "do I have to sing it again?"...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

highlight of the night, apart from the talent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

RonMexico wrote: »
    Yeah it is not nice but it is true. Simon Cowell didn't make millions by being nice. The entertainment business is as shallow as you can get and nothing will change that.

Your having a laugh now. The Eurovision is far removed from the "entertainment" business. Personally I'd axe it. Comments about Niamh Kavanagh are just infantile. The entire competition is a farce since the early 90s in terms of launching new talent and since the admission of eastern european countries, its a dated concept.

The whole thing is nothing more than a "tradition" thats gained new life via musically inept nations in eastern europe.

She really is, think I'm in Love :)

• Advertisement

We should just send a babe dressed like the latest pop act singing the latest pop trend. Screw Linda Martin, Twink and Johnnu Logan and all the prune faced experts. Get a jury formed by westlife/michelle heaton/Louis Walsh and let them find a song and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Looking at that we need to get Italy back in. Look at the countries they have given most points to. New campaign.....Get Italy back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Interesting that. I wonder how much the viewership would dwindle if we pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

yeah but it's her age she's 17, all teenagers go on like her:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Ok everybody bow and arrow, funky chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kalimah

The whole thing is a waste of time. We should write is off as a bad job and pull out next year. What's the point? The song was one of the better ones. It should have been top 10. Germany was definitely not the best. If Denmark had won I would have been reasonably happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

We should just send a babe dressed like the latest pop act singing the latest pop trend. Screw Linda Martin, Twink and Johnnu Logan and all the prune faced experts. Get a jury formed by westlife/michelle heaton/Louis Walsh and let them find a song and get on with it.

Only thing is I think that's basically what the UK have been trying a lot recently and it hasn't worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I didn't say it was all political. But a huge part of it is. Germany, because of its huge ethnic population have been moving up the EV ranks in recent years, and that together with a decent song did it this year. It also helped that it was already number 1 in four countries before the contest.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Your having a laugh now. The Eurovision is far removed from the "entertainment" business. Personally I'd axe it. Comments about Niamh Kavanagh are just infantile. The entire competition is a farce since the early 90s in terms of launching new talent and since the admission of eastern european countries, its a dated concept.

The whole thing is nothing more than a "tradition" thats gained new life via musically inept nations in eastern europe.

Lol spot the sore loser who wants to axe it because we were disgraced. :D

• Advertisement

:confused:

Advertisement