Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

number10a wrote: »
    You said that the Eurovision means nothing outside Ireland and the UK. I mention that there is a crowd of thousands in a square in Hamburg watching the Eurovision, and you still think that that proves that the contest means nothing in mainland Europe?????????

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic in saying that that proves your point.

Apologies number 10a.

What I meant to say is that for Ireland and the UK it has no meaning. Areas outside of that may get something out of it and I'd leave it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

dloob wrote: »
    I like it!

Johnny and Kaye Styles back together again maybe?

I'm on a semi just thinking about it, the rest of Europe will bow to the man, mark my words:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Apologies number 10a.

What I meant to say is that for Ireland and the UK it has no meaning. Areas outside of that may get something out of it and I'd leave it to them.

Ahhh ok!!! I went back and read your original post about five times cos I was afraid I was beginning to hallucinate or something. :D Thanks for that! I'm not going mad!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Well that was very disappointing as to the scores! Everyone in the pub thought that we would have done better than that! In fairness though, there were some very good tunes forby us! Still, though, I thought that Niamh deserved much better a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Apologies number 10a.

Ohhh but it's good crack watching it.

I wonder do RTE make a profit with the texts?
    They can't be spending too much on the entries anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

py2006 wrote: »
    Niamh's wardrobe dept should be shot!

Totally, I thought the colour was ok but I don't think they could possibly have chosen a more unflattering design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RonMexico wrote: »
    We should just send a babe dressed like the latest pop act singing the latest pop trend. Screw Linda Martin, Twink and Johnnu Logan and all the prune faced experts. Get a jury formed by westlife/michelle heaton/Louis Walsh and let them find a song and get on with it.

We tried that last year with that Pop-Punk song and couldn't make the finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

For a start if you think Ireland is popular across Europe then I hate to say that you are deluded and need to travel more. Talk to other Europeans (not your buddies) and relish in the distinct opinion many many people from other European nations have. It certainly doesn't help when we have had a Government that boasted and bragged, laughed at the influx of immigrants to work on our building sites and serve up sambos in our delis and generally promoted Ireland as this great economy that rose from the ashes, while it ****ed every poorer European nation up the ass.

As for the German win, try the great divide between American, UK and Irish "pop" music and that of "mainland" Europe and the rest of the world. The current pop culture music industry is still dominated by the three regions I mentioned. Hence it is incredible that two of them are now ultimate failures in a Song competition. As I said in a previous post the competition is now an irrelavence for the UK and Ireland.

You have obviously misread my post. I didn't say that Ireland was popular but more that most people in Europe know nothing and I mean nothing about Ireland and think we are British.
    As for your insults, how do you know where I have travelled? I have been to most countries in Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, Egypt, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Fiji, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala & Dutch Antilles and lived in Holland for 7 years so please think before you write.

Your comments about Ireland boasting to Eastern Europeans and that Ireland ****ed every poorer European nation up the ass is really pathetic.

Most europeans are not really aware of our economic situation past or present. When I lived in Holland during the Celtic Tiger, I had Dutch people telling me how poor they thought Ireland was. In fact I also had a mortgage initially turned down as they thought I came from a non EU country. So for you to think that we have mistreated East Europeans and they want revenge is the reason we lost so badly is laughable. After all, Germany tried to take over the whole of Europe, killed 6 milliion jews, rob our beach beds etc and still won.

Just accept it came down to a bad song choice, poor presentation and a singer with wrong image and leave it at that. No need for over analysation of political reasoning or false statements about Ireland shafting Europe and they are getting revenge. Greatest rubbish I've ever read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

come on germany! Delighted! What a country! much better standard this year too. Like greece and france's alot,aswel as denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yes to Lisbon a

Most songs this year were brilliant. Germany, France, Denmark, Belgium, Romania etc. I backed the German song with a €10 win and each way during the week. I won €110 including my bet.To me it was the best song but i thought Belgium and France could have won as well.

We have got to up our game. Were not sending good stuff to the competition. This years song was 20 years out of date and was nearly as bad as the UK song. 120 million people watch this competition we should cop on and send something good for a change. Its a competition we could actually win unlike the world cup.

• Advertisement

stevefinn wrote: »
    much better standard this year too.
    A lot of the songs and presentations were really good. In the semi finals also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Germany, Norway and Finland all have now won the Eurovision in recent years.

Last year Iceland came second and the UK fifth (third on juries according to wikipedia).

So non "Eastern European" countries can win or do well in the contest.

The fact is that the majority of countries from all parts of Europe haven't voted for us in recent years.

People complaining about the bloc or diaspora voting seem to think that if for example the former Yugoslavia countries stopped giving 12 points to each other that they would vote for Ireland instead.
    How likely is this given that they didn't vote for us at all?? And as I pointed out, neither did most of the traditional western countries.
    But last year Iceland got 218 points and the UK got 173. And only one "Eastern European country" was in the top 5 in both the jury and televote.

I'm afraid the reason we do badly is that most people don't like our songs or our performers.

Bonus Fact: Lena's granddad was German Ambassador to the USSR in the 1980s!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

We tried that last year with that Pop-Punk song and couldn't make the finals.
    I think that we may do better with a more genuine all out rock band, or an indie group - which we have plenty of here in ireland :)

I think another remedy could be to try something like Belgium sent this year - a simple singer songwriter guitarist song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

Easy.

Eastern block countries vote in a rather dodgey fashion. This immediately causes problems for nations outside of eastern europe. It affects the voting pattern. Secondly, the dispersal of eastern european nationals across western europe further affects the voting. Finally, a european nations profile within europe also affects the impression made. In Irelands case we are disliked.(believe it or not.)
    Absolute rubbish!!!

I've lived and worked in several countries on the continent and found most people well disposed to Ireland, in fact most don't know us well enough to dislike us.

If we're so disliked how come we've won the Eurovision 7 times, that's more than any other country. I think the mark we got today was based solely on the song's merit and not on any animosity towards us

Are you sure you're not letting your own prejudices cloud your judgment?

I backed the German song with a €10 win and each way during the week. I won €110 including my bet.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

baalthor wrote: »
    Germany, Norway and Finland all have now won the Eurovision in recent years.

Last year Iceland came second and the UK fifth (third on juries according to wikipedia).

So non "Eastern European" countries can win or do well in the contest.

The fact is that the majority of countries from all parts of Europe haven't voted for us in recent years.

People complaining about the bloc or diaspora voting seem to think that if for example the former Yugoslavia countries stopped giving 12 points to each other that they would vote for Ireland instead.
    How likely is this given that they didn't vote for us at all?? And as I pointed out, neither did most of the traditional western countries.
    But last year Iceland got 218 points and the UK got 173. And only one "Eastern European country" was in the top 5 in both the jury and televote.

I'm afraid the reason we do badly is that most people don't like our songs or our performers.

Bonus Fact: Lena's granddad was German Ambassador to the USSR in the 1980s!
    Excellent post, I couldn't agree more. We can do well with a good, strong contemporary song :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think that we may do better with a more genuine all out rock band, or an indie group - which we have plenty of here in ireland :)

I think another remedy could be to try something like Belgium sent this year - a simple singer songwriter guitarist song.

Maybe not a bad idea. The Rock'n'Roll Kids was one of our best songs which was a very simple guitar/piano duet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 censoredboy

Guys, just registered at the board to tell you what an amazing song you guys had! Niamh Kavanagh should not be brought down to the level of eurovision ever again, because she is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

Fair play to Lena. She did it. Hope she can go on from here.....

http://www.facebook.com/lenameyerlandrut

She is absolutely hilarious in German and English. See her take on typeical Germans singing in English here with an sample of Boyzone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK1wBI9ix1c

Good win for a funny girl with a quirky style that was different and stood out from the rest.

murpho999 wrote: »

Just accept it came down to a bad song choice, poor presentation and a singer with wrong image and leave it at that.

People don't agree; it wasn't a bad song choice, or poor presentation with wrong image - the song was good and the presentation was good and the image was great, maybe a bit better put across in the semi finals but still good. Other songs got more votes on the night but no need to diss a really good entry from Ireland.

• Advertisement

Guys, just registered at the board to tell you what an amazing song you guys had! Niamh Kavanagh should not be brought down to the level of eurovision ever again, because she is unbelievable.

Sounds like you are from the competition, happy we had a crap song. Either that or your from the 1980's.

Part of the problem we have in Ireland is that we think the standard of song in the Eurovision is poor and that any crap we enter will win it. This year and last year there were at least 8 great songs. As I said earlier we have too up our game and stop complaining. For example those people who say Ireland should have won, would you really prefare to listen to our song over Germany, Belgium, France or are you just being nationalistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

You know what really annoyed me about marty - not just the constant moaning when noone voted for us. But the moaning about neighbours voting for neighbours and then when the UK gave us 7 points - not a dicky bird out of him. What a moan :mad:

I can see myself gettiing really sick of listening to the song that won tho really quickly. Its one of those - I'm trying to be different and cool singing voices that eventually sounds annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 censoredboy

Sounds like you are from the competition, happy we had a crap song. Either that or your from the 1980's.

Part of the problem we have in Ireland is that we think the standard of song in the Eurovision is poor and that any crap we enter will win it. This year and last year there were at least 8 great songs. As I said earlier we have too up our game and stop complaining. For example those people who say Ireland should have won, would you really prefare to listen to our song over Germany, Belgium, France or are you just being nationalistic.

I am from Azerbaijan and live in the UK. I simply believe that you did truly have an excellent song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Hi Marty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

As I said in a previous post the competition is now an irrelavence for the UK and Ireland.

I disagree! People here and in the UK still find it fun, in the main! And it was extra fun this year because we were in the final! Maybe we can race the UK to the bottom next year as our own litle inside competition. One good thing about both of us is that we're capable of laughing at ourselves. ;) I think we should get the good ol' USA to enter, too. I know a lot of them watch it online and like it. Maybe the Aussies and NZers, too! Well, if Israel can...

I am from Azerbaijan and live in the UK. I simply believe that you did truly have an excellent song.

Is Azerbaijan a one party state? Is it true that last year that the secret police in your country found out who voted for Armenia in the eurovision and interviewed them all? all 46 of them? This was reported on RTE during the mooney show last week. Because of this the phone record of voters has to be keep secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cris Jones wrote: »
    People don't agree; it wasn't a bad song choice, or poor presentation with wrong image - the song was good and the presentation was good and the image was great, maybe a bit better put across in the semi finals but still good. Other songs got more votes on the night but no need to diss a really good entry from Ireland.
    '

Don't see how you can say it was a good entry when it came 3rd last.

It's results that speak volumes and that counts not opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Cris Jones wrote: »

Our entry was irrelavent bollocks.

You know what really annoyed me about marty - not just the constant moaning when noone voted for us. But the moaning about neighbours voting for neighbours and then when the UK gave us 7 points - not a dicky bird out of him. What a moan :mad:

I can see myself gettiing really sick of listening to the song that won tho really quickly. Its one of those - I'm trying to be different and cool singing voices that eventually sounds annoying.
    Marty was as good a commentator as Terry Wogan and better than Graham Norton, IMO. Many of the "UK" voters for Niamh would have been the disenfranchised "Northern Ireland" voters voting for their own country, Ireland.

• Advertisement

Many of the votes from the "UK" would have been from the disenfranchised voters from the rest of Ireland, i.e. the North of Ireland, "Northern Ireland".

Advertisement