Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DKZ wrote: »
    Why on earth would you type out such a long account for something you thought was crap? I don't get it..
    Love-hate relationship. The ludicrously tragic? The tragically ludicrous? The Eurovision is the King Kong of targets for fun-poking, it's hard not to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

DKZ wrote: »
    I think this is our best chance since the '90s tbh!

second that , but look at the act they have sent in the past few year like F*ckin Dustin the turkey , and plenty of others

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think Ireland has a hope tbh. I think it's a dreadful song. I was watching a programme the other day with the winner from Norway last year travelling all over Europe performing the song to screaming girls. I was thinking to myself, imagine Niamh Kavanagh getting asked to perform for these people. It's just not realistic. Eurovision these days requires something for the younger demographic and we send a girl who won it in the nineties with a song that sounds like it's from the nineties. Embarrassing.

It will fail and I don't care because RTE have no clue how to get a song that will work with the rest of Europe. I am in a way looking forward to the reaction if we don't make it and Marty Whelan's pissing and moaning.

I think the winner of the contest will be from the 2nd semi-final. I think there are a lot of potential winners in the line-up. Songs I think are likeable are those from Denmark, Sweden and Georgia. The Azerbaijan entry will certainly qualify and I think it will win eventually the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I don't think Ireland has a hope tbh. I think it's a dreadful song.
    I wouldnt say dreadful but it's very cliché, nothing hugely original about it. And somebody should have sank the Titanic pan pipes in the middle. I think this has a huge backing from RTE and all the old Eurovision heads here, because she has credibility as a singer and is supposedly loved across Europe as a result of the previous success. I think this is being hugely overestimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think the Irish song will do quite well ,its a nice song and far better than most of the songs I heard last night,some of which were just abominable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don't think that the Irish song has a hope.

Why oh why do we keep sending bloody ballads. No disrespect but Niamh does not have the looks either to attract people.

This thing about her being a past winner holds no water for me.
    She won it in 1993. That's 17 bloody years ago, and she hasn't had a hit since, so no-one in Europe, the majority of which think we're all British anyway has a clue who she is.

This song might have had a chance 20 years ago but not now.

I really think RTE need to make changes, most likely with the panel that selects songs that go forward to The Late Late selection show. I'm guessing it's full of middle aged people because Niamh's song was the best of a bad lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Ballads are what we're good at!

Look at previous years:
    2005 - Uptempo: Failed to qualify
    2006 - Ballad: 10th in final!
    2007 - Folk/Traditional: Last in final
    2008 - Dance/Eurocrap: Failed to qualify
    2009 - Pop/Rock: Failed to qualify

It's pretty clear that a ballad is our best hope. I predict Niamh to qualify and come 8th-12th in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

We have no chance, and never will again as long as average Joe punter is allowed to vote. The fact that allowing this makes them buckets of cash from the calls like all the other "phone in and vote them off" shows such as xfactor / fame means they have no incentive to stop it. The addition of the jury vote with the public vote was a poor attempt to appease countries like ours who realised the voting system gave us no chance.

Prediction - we'll fail to qualify tonight unfortunately :(

Edit: Are RTé getting a cut of the action from the calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

I hope for Niamh Kavanagh it does well, it's a big gamble for her to take. Best of Luck to her anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Not a chance we are going to win but I'd say we could qualify tonight. Remember watching when Dervis were on and got automatic qualification because of Brian Kennedys song the year previous.

The band got sfa points until Albania gave us 5 and the pub I was in erupted in a kind of a joyous sarcastic way, great craic!

Out in Dublin this weekend, does anyone know a good pub that will show the eurovision and not drown it out with house music? The points scoring are the best can be as entertain as any match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The points scoring are the best can be as entertain as any match.

Yes indeed, it's tonnes of craic !

I heard Vincent Browne reading out the headlines of the papers last nite and he said something like "Eurovision dress row" referring to Niamh Kavanagh.. Anybody know what paper it was in?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I heard Vincent Browne reading out the headlines of the papers last nite and he said something like "Eurovision dress row" referring to Niamh Kavanagh.. Anybody know what paper it was in?

Yeah she cant fit in to it too many pies were had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

We are a sure bet to win. How can any other result be possible what with us sending a walrus wrapped in clingfilm to drone out a dirge to delight and entertain our European brothers and sisters.

Ok seriously I will be stunned if we get anywhere with this entry. The constant stream of RTE presenters telling us how wonderful our entry is makes me hope that we get zero votes. They clearly were all pushing for Niamh Kavanagh before she even had won the Irish contest. The stink of cronyism surrounding her entry is foul. The reality is that the competition is all about style over substance. On that front Niamh falls on her fat arse. Cruel but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope we make the final anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'll ignore the ate all the pies jibes :rolleyes:

Full story here

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

And no one has mentioned her Moustache either The Turks loved her in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Well I hope the people going on about Niamh's appearance are picture perfect themselves...seriously...could ye be more pedantic?

I hope she does well tonight, at least she's got experience with this kind of thing. Not too bothered about the song though, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Looking forward to tonight!

I think Niamh is on 12th. Hope we get throught to the final..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Can't wait :D Talking to ye about it makes it even more exciting. Gives me some laugh.

• Advertisement

Can't wait :D Talking to ye about it makes it even more exciting. Gives me some laugh.
    Have to say I love the Portuguese entry.. She's purty.. and can really sing. Gets very boring with sooooooo many of the new countries that I really cant distinguish from each other.

Listening to Mooney today, I think the RTE heads are really talking this one up. I wonder will there be a backlash for our "two fingers" gesture to the competition last year. Will be interesting to see how it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One thing that might work in Ireland's favour is that I'm pretty sure we will be after the Slovenian song which is the worst one tonight. It's awful so perhaps Ireland's will sound better by contrast.

Songs I would like to see get through tonight - Sweden, Denmark, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Romania. Not crazy about the rest. I think there is a way higher standard in this semi-final than Tuesday's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Have to say I love the Portuguese entry.. She's purty.. and can really sing. Gets very boring with sooooooo many of the new countries that I really cant distinguish from each other.

Listening to Mooney today, I think the RTE heads are really talking this one up. I wonder will there be a backlash for our "two fingers" gesture to the competition last year. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Dustin was two years ago, so I doubt it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My evening is yours guys :)

Whoooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Here we go! Yay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

The dresses aren't as pretty tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

YAY!!

Neil Patrick Harris is back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

ohthebaby wrote: »
    The dresses aren't as pretty tonight. :(

They're still managing to clash just as well though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Fingers and toes crossed for Niamh!

Advertisement