Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to wear a a first date.

• 25-05-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

What should I wear on a first date? We are going for dinner at the weekend. Not sure where yet. I'm 30.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Are you a man or a woman? Because that will make a difference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Maybe a simple pair of white trousers with a nice top and a pair of heels? Have a look in A-wear there are some lovely things in there at the minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

a pink polo neck,a pair of wranglers,cause your 30, with tan coloured cowboy boots. no need to bring a handbag,the jeans pockets will come in handy for all your loose change.

bon appetit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I think you should wear what ever makes you comfortable. I also think it's important to dress according to your own personnal style and to wear something that suits your personality because your clothes are going to give an impression of who you are as a person and you don't want to give him the wrong impression by wearing an outfit just because someone told you to. what makes you feel good and sexy? Just wear that and be yourself don't try and emulate someone else.

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    I think you should wear what ever makes you comfortable. I also think it's important to dress according to your own personnal style and to wear something that suits your personality because your clothes are going to give an impression of who you are as a person and you don't want to give him the wrong impression by wearing an outfit just because someone told you to. what makes you feel good and sexy? Just wear that and be yourself don't try and emulate someone else.

I'm not going out buying new outfit or anything so it will be something I would wear out anyway. Not sure if a dress would be OTT!

mood wrote: »
    I'm not going out buying new outfit or anything so it will be something I would wear out anyway. Not sure if a dress would be OTT!

No not at all esp in this weather! If you want to make it more casual just wear a nice pair of pumps insted of heels.

How about a nice pair of blue / dark skinny jeans? Combine that with sexy heels (don't wear flats on a date) and just a nice white blouse / top? Also, paint your nails too, but not some wacky / goth colour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Less of the AH humour please!

I agree with Sapsorrow on being comfortable. You don't wanna spend the night worrying about your outfit!

A dress is fine, with flats for a more casual look. Make sure it's long enough so that you can sit down with out showing too much!

Why should they not wear flats on a date? I don't wear heels at all myself and don't consider them to be essential for any ocassion. I also don't see whats wrong with wearing goth or wacky coloured nail varnish if that's what the OP is into then that's fine, being yourself and happy should be the priority. If he likes you as a person and has a good time he's not gonna give a damn if you're wearing black nail varnish, who knows maybe he'd like you even more so for it ;)

• Advertisement

Why should they not wear flats on a date? I don't wear heels at all myself and don't consider them to be essential for any ocassion. I also don't see whats wrong with wearing goth or wacky coloured nail varnish if that's what the OP is into then that's fine, being yourself and happy should be the priority. If he likes you as a person and has a good time he's not gonna give a damn if you're wearing black nail varnish, who knows maybe he'd like you even more so for it ;)
    That's true, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I was just remembering some dates I had been on and maybe was getting too specific with details :o Don't wear anything you're not comfortable wearing of course. By suggesting she wear heels, it's just because I think they're sexier than flats, but, like I said, if she's not comfortable with that, then she shouldn't do it.

At the risk of going slightly OT a lot of guys I know aren't into heals at all, a lot of guys aren't into the high maintenace look that tends to go with them and wouldn't find them sexy. My boyf for example really doesn't like heels on girls (which is handy :D) and would find that a major turn-off, he also hates straightened hair, uggs, curves and many other things that suit me equally well. My point is that if you're compatable as people he'll like you and your style more than likely. A goth guy would probably love a goth girl wearing goth nail varnish for example. That's why it's so important to just be yourself. I've gone down the road of trying to change my style to suit/impress boyfriends and it doesn't work for very long.
    What sort of dress have you got in mind OP? Do you know the guy already or is it a blind date/stranger etc??

:eek::eek::eek: I just realised I said he hates curves, quite the opposite in fact! Also very handy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What should I wear on a first date? We are going for dinner at the weekend. Not sure where yet. I'm 30.
    It would help if we knew where you were going. Dinner could be Eddie Rockts so jeans would be fine. If however you are going somewhere for a few bottles of wine over 3 or 4 courses - hours then the tight waistband of a pair of jeans is not a good idea.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

OldGoat wrote: »
    It would help if we knew where you were going. Dinner could be Eddie Rockts so jeans would be fine. If however you are going somewhere for a few bottles of wine over 3 or 4 courses - hours then the tight waistband of a pair of jeans is not a good idea.

I was going to ask that question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

personally id just go whatever you are comfy with. if you are comfy in dresses, wear one, if you arent, dont. because you will be pulling at it and you will look uncomfy in it.

my style would be a nice pair of jeans, heels (not too high cos i cant wear high ones) and a pretty top. Id wanna look well but still like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

On my first date with my boyfriend I wore white skinny jeans, navy patent shoes and a purple top. 2 years on its still his favourite outfit on me because of the memories and I still call it my lucky outfit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lainey_ie

ok now i wanna know how did it go:)and what did you end up wearing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

I think being 30 you are a bit old for the 'Goth' look!!

I'd wear whatever you feel comfy in. If weather is hot like last weekend then a nice, simple dress and heels will do the trick.

Remember while he may eye you up and down, he will be more interested in you as a person. So, don't get hung up about your outfit on the night.
    I wouldn't wear white at all. If you are having dinner, it could be a disaster if you spilled food or drink on your clothes.

But hey, smile at the thoughts of meeting your date and having a fun time!!

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

katie99 wrote: »
    If weather is hot like last weekend then a nice, simple dress and heels will do the trick.
    Bears repeating. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Went for a meal. Just wore skinny jeans + top + heals. Went really well!

I do wear dark nail polish but that doesn't make me a goth! I can't even remember who brought up the goth thing in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

At the risk of going slightly OT a lot of guys I know aren't into heals at all, a lot of guys aren't into the high maintenace look that tends to go with them and wouldn't find them sexy. My boyf for example really doesn't like heels on girls (which is handy :D) and would find that a major turn-off, he also hates straightened hair, uggs, curves and many other things that suit me equally well. My point is that if you're compatable as people he'll like you and your style more than likely. A goth guy would probably love a goth girl wearing goth nail varnish for example. That's why it's so important to just be yourself. I've gone down the road of trying to change my style to suit/impress boyfriends and it doesn't work for very long.
    What sort of dress have you got in mind OP? Do you know the guy already or is it a blind date/stranger etc??

In fairness, the OP was obv just asking how casual/dressy to look, not wondering if she should entirely change her style and go goth for a date, whereever that crazy notion came from! Saying "wear what you're comfortable in" doesn't really work. I'm comfprtable in sweatpants and a hoodie but there's a time and a place. Context trumps comfort (to an extent, of course! ;) ), a mon avis.
    Went for a meal. Just wore skinny jeans + top + heals. Went really well!

I do wear dark nail polish but that doesn't make me a goth! I can't even remember who brought up the goth thing in the first place!

Glad it went well! Bet you didn't think twice about your outfit once you'd arrived, haha. :)

Advertisement